Shouldn't have test driven the diesel.

@NickinColorado , you must of had an exceptional 3.5 Ecoboost. My 2017 never got better than 19 except for the driving in Yellowstone at 45 MPH. On that tank, I got 21.06 which is the best it ever got in over 4 years. 10.4 while towing a 4K pound camper, if it even weighed that much.
I've got a 2018 F150 with a 3.5 eco boost has 77,000 miles and is regularly getting above 19 mpg. Towing my 29' 5th wheel I get 10.5 with cruise set at 70. My buddy tows a 24' travel trailer with a 2016 f250 6.7 and gets the same towing mileage as I do..
My wife's 2019 Platinum Expedition with the high output 3.5 has 36,000 miles and the lifetime average is 18.5.

I ordered a 2022 f350 with the 7.3. It will tow anything I will be towing, and my company pays for my gas so mpg didn't figure into my decision.

@NickinColorado , you must of had an exceptional 3.5 Ecoboost. My 2017 never got better than 19 except for the driving in Yellowstone at 45 MPH. On that tank, I got 21.06 which is the best it ever got in over 4 years. 10.4 while towing a 4K pound camper, if it even weighed that much.
I live at 6000’ elevation and a lot of my driving is higher. Less air, less fuel requirement. Was the 2017 the 10 speed? It made a big difference from 6 speed to 10 speed. 21.8 was combined. Highway only I easily got 24-25. I’m surprised to find the 6.7 is only 1-2mpg worse.

@NickinColorado, yes 2017 was a 10 speed. I figured my MPG by miles traveled divided by gallons used, not everyone does. The on-board always showed higher, yes it can be tweaked but I never bothered. You can state "less air, less fuel" but the bottom line is with a boosted engine it is still packing in what it needs. Power output is directly proportional to air and fuel input, and can't be avoided.

@Harrycomes, my 10.4 towing my 4K camper was at 62 MPH, if I went faster the MPG dropped just as I expected it would. I can't imagine pulling anything larger or heavier and what my MPG would have been. You are fortunate that your company buys your gas, mine did before I retired but only for business use. Somehow I just don't think they would continue to pay for it anymore....

@NickinColorado, yes 2017 was a 10 speed. I figured my MPG by miles traveled divided by gallons used, not everyone does. The on-board always showed higher, yes it can be tweaked but I never bothered. You can state "less air, less fuel" but the bottom line is with a boosted engine it is still packing in what it needs. Power output is directly proportional to air and fuel input, and can't be avoided.

@Harrycomes, my 10.4 towing my 4K camper was at 62 MPH, if I went faster the MPG dropped just as I expected it would. I can't imagine pulling anything larger or heavier and what my MPG would have been. You are fortunate that your company buys your gas, mine did before I retired but only for business use. Somehow I just don't think they would continue to pay for it anymore....
I disagree with your beliefs on elevation but I’m not here to argue. Not sure what to tell you then. My next door neighbor has the exact same F150- 3.5 Ecoboost 10 speed XLT short bed. We’ve been friends since we were 12 years old, he gets the same mileage. I actually borrowed his truck when we moved in and that’s what got me to buy one. My MPG is always calculated by hand, I’ve found the computer reads about 2 mpg better than it’s really getting. Fwiw power output is also reduced. I guess yours was just a lemon…

An easy google search proves my assumption, maybe it will change your mind. Or not. 👍

I believe that higher elevations will increase fuel economy but not in anything built in the last 3 decades plus that is closed loop fuel injection. Add in the boost of a turbo etc. and the difference should be minimal.

One of the articles referenced the lower octane gasoline that is used in higher elevations and also. It is important to point out that the lower the octane, the higher the BTU per gallon and this could certainly make a minimal difference. Octane is a "number assigned to the resistance of pre-ignition", and the higher the Octane the more resistant it becomes but with a lower BTU output. Lower BTU simply means lower power output.

I don't know, I certainly could have had a lemon. It would pass anything but a gas station, I do know that!

Been researching these trucks for months and finally decided on the 7.3, until I test drove the diesel today. Freaking thing is awesome. I have a question for the diesel guys. I plan on retiring in about 4 years and wanted to buy a new truck now so it's paid off when I pull the plug. I currently have a take home work car so I would only put on about 2-3k miles a year for the next four years and those would mostly be short trips. After that I plan on traveling and towing much more. I hear the diesel engine isn't made to sit. Am I going to mess this thing up by letting it sit 95% of the time? My current truck is toast so I need to purchase a truck no matter what. To be clear I don't need a diesel or probably even an F250, but after working 6-7 days a week for my most of my adult life, it's time to get something I want.
I'm doing the same thing. My truck I ordered is my retirement truck F35O Lariat with the 6.7, only will be using it for camping. Now's the time to get what you want.

I was on the fence and drove a 7.3 and the 6.7 back to back to help me decide (and my wallet was wanting the 7.3 to win) But as sacrilegious as this may sound the driving experience of the 6.7 was far closer to that of my 3.5 EB than the 7.3 ever thought of being. You just have to feather the throttle on the 6.7 and it goes for days. I felt like I had to put my foot into the 7.3 fairly to get it moving. But once moving the 7.3 is great. I am sure I get Hayes for comparing the EB to the 6.7 but it made me feel at home and cemented my decision. Any others had this thought?
I had this same question and now leaning to diesel, placing my order next Wednesday

Been researching these trucks for months and finally decided on the 7.3, until I test drove the diesel today. Freaking thing is awesome. I have a question for the diesel guys. I plan on retiring in about 4 years and wanted to buy a new truck now so it's paid off when I pull the plug. I currently have a take home work car so I would only put on about 2-3k miles a year for the next four years and those would mostly be short trips. After that I plan on traveling and towing much more. I hear the diesel engine isn't made to sit. Am I going to mess this thing up by letting it sit 95% of the time? My current truck is toast so I need to purchase a truck no matter what. To be clear I don't need a diesel or probably even an F250, but after working 6-7 days a week for my most of my adult life, it's time to get something I want.
Diesel all the way! U drove it…..u know! 😂

If it sits for days or does alot of short trip then take it for a run on the interstate / highway and bring the rpms up. Run it for atleast 45 mins. Take it for a good rip and take the wife out for lunch somewhere wheres its a bit of a drive.
Agree with this. I live in rural area and I would just take a nice long drive in the country once on the weekend. You might want to do operator commanded regen when your exhaust filter gets up to over 90.%

Just to update some fuel economy numbers- towed a 27’ toy hauler home (Momentum 21g) and averaged 13.4 over 95 miles.

We have a small camper (3700 Lbs.) and I can easily get 15 to 16 while towing. Unloaded MPG is nearly 22 MPG, both of these are according to the truck. I will know more when I get fuel today.

i just traded my 17 F350 lariat drw 6.7 on a 2022 tremor with the 7.3...honesty i love my 6.7....but i just couldn't justify spending 10k for a 6.7 . Now my first drw was a 02 F 350 with the 7.3 powerstroke....love it...so i think i'll be just fine with the gas version..To each their own tho..

Back