Shouldn't have test driven the diesel.

Chrism

Tremor Fan
Reaction Points
First Responder
LE
Been researching these trucks for months and finally decided on the 7.3, until I test drove the diesel today. Freaking thing is awesome. I have a question for the diesel guys. I plan on retiring in about 4 years and wanted to buy a new truck now so it's paid off when I pull the plug. I currently have a take home work car so I would only put on about 2-3k miles a year for the next four years and those would mostly be short trips. After that I plan on traveling and towing much more. I hear the diesel engine isn't made to sit. Am I going to mess this thing up by letting it sit 95% of the time? My current truck is toast so I need to purchase a truck no matter what. To be clear I don't need a diesel or probably even an F250, but after working 6-7 days a week for my most of my adult life, it's time to get something I want.

Been researching these trucks for months and finally decided on the 7.3, until I test drove the diesel today. Freaking thing is awesome. I have a question for the diesel guys. I plan on retiring in about 4 years and wanted to buy a new truck now so it's paid off when I pull the plug. I currently have a take home work car so I would only put on about 2-3k miles a year for the next four years and those would mostly be short trips. After that I plan on traveling and towing much more. I hear the diesel engine isn't made to sit. Am I going to mess this thing up by letting it sit 95% of the time? My current truck is toast so I need to purchase a truck no matter what. To be clear I don't need a diesel or probably even an F250, but after working 6-7 days a week for my most of my adult life, it's time to get something I want.
I had 2 diesels last 10yrs, average 7k/yr on em, never had any issues myself

I'm in a similar situation, this could be the last truck I buy new as I plan to keep it for a while.

After owning diesels for years I went gas this time because I didn't want to own a diesel without warrantee coverage. There's no doubt the diesel smokes the gas for towing and performance but for me the gas is good enough.

My diesel Tremor sits a lot without a problem (Especially from November to June). My '15 6.7l went 60,000 miles this way. Just make sure you buy diesel fuel from a reputable place, and change the oil/fuel filters regularly and you should be good. I drive my truck at least once every 2 weeks for a hour, running it on the highway just to make sure it's ran hard. That would be my only suggestion. Good luck with your decision.

Same thing happened to me… the diesel is intoxicating. Almost feels electric with all that endless torque

I agree with all of the above. I had a work truck and my truck a 6.7. Drive it once in awhile and get it up to temp. I would also use full syn oil and change it yearly even if you don’t put the miles on it. Keep the fuel tank full to keep condensation from forming and collecting water in tank.

If it sits for days or does alot of short trip then take it for a run on the interstate / highway and bring the rpms up. Run it for atleast 45 mins. Take it for a good rip and take the wife out for lunch somewhere wheres its a bit of a drive.

Honestly with the electronics and fuel control on ALL new diesels, wet stacking is nearly a thing of the past. Wet stacking occurs when the fuel comes in contact with cooler surfaces and doesn't completely burn and ends up in the crankcase if you are not familiar with the term.

As others have already said, good fuel, good oil, drive it occasionally. It doesn't hurt a diesel anymore than a gas engine to sit for long periods of time.

I just took delivery of my '21 with PSD a week ago, and will drive short trips occasionally. Not concerned because I will get it fully warm at least once or twice a week. I too wasn't "in need" but wanted one after having diesels for most of the last 20 years, I bought a F-150 with a 3.5. It was a beautiful truck, new owner loves it but I was never happy with the MPG. We have a 4K pound teardrop camper, that is what I tow and nothing else. Initial MPG while towing appears to be up to 50% improved over the F-150.

Get a PSD, you will not regret it!

P.S. no offense to my brothers with the 7.3 Godzilla is intended.

Last edited:
Honestly with the electronics and fuel control on ALL new diesels, wet stacking is nearly a thing of the past. Wet stacking occurs when the fuel comes in contact with cooler surfaces and doesn't completely burn and ends up in the crankcase if you are not familiar with the term.

As others have already said, good fuel, good oil, drive it occasionally. It doesn't hurt a diesel anymore than a gas engine to sit for long periods of time.

I just took delivery of my '21 with PSD a week ago, and will drive short trips occasionally. Not concerned because I will get it fully warm at least once or twice a week. I too wasn't "in need" but wanted one after having diesels for most of the last 20 years, I bought a F-150 with a 3.5. It was a beautiful truck, new owner loves it but I was never happy with the MPG. We have a 4K pound teardrop camper, tat is what I tow and nothing else. Initial MPG while towing appears to be in the 50% improved over the F-150.

Get a PSD, you will not regret it!

P.S. no offense to my brothers with the 7.3 Godzilla is intended.
What everyone has said is spot on.

I was on the fence and drove a 7.3 and the 6.7 back to back to help me decide (and my wallet was wanting the 7.3 to win) But as sacrilegious as this may sound the driving experience of the 6.7 was far closer to that of my 3.5 EB than the 7.3 ever thought of being. You just have to feather the throttle on the 6.7 and it goes for days. I felt like I had to put my foot into the 7.3 fairly to get it moving. But once moving the 7.3 is great. I am sure I get Hayes for comparing the EB to the 6.7 but it made me feel at home and cemented my decision. Any others had this thought?

I went from a 2017 F-150 Ecoboost to a '21 Tremor with 6.7, not sure how they compare yet as I have only had the Tremor for a week. I can say that from my initial experience in towing that my MPG appears to have gone up by as much as 50% as mentioned previously. Time will tell as I get a few more miles on the Tremor and it settles in, but I expect even the empty highway MPG to be similar to the F-150. As far as performance, I haven't had my foot in the Tremor that hard yet but based on the 2011 F-250 with a 6.7, I'm pretty sure that it has plenty of beef. Especially since the Gen 3 has about 25% more of it than the Gen 1.

The F-150 was a great truck (okay glorified car) and would pass anything but a gas station. For me, the 7.3 wasn't even a momentary thought, if I wanted to have poor MPG I would have kept my F-150.

Again, no offense intended to those who have the 7.3.

The test drive is what did me in also. I was wondering how I would choose. 10 minute drive in each and the gas wasn’t even an option anymore. The diesel feels much more like the 3.5 ecoboost gas engine as far as throttle response and driveability.

The test drive is what did me in also. I was wondering how I would choose. 10 minute drive in each and the gas wasn’t even an option anymore. The diesel feels much more like the 3.5 ecoboost gas engine as far as throttle response and driveability.
Glad to hear that I am not the only one who felt similarities between the 3.5 EB and the 6.7.

@NickinColorado , you must of had an exceptional 3.5 Ecoboost. My 2017 never got better than 19 except for the driving in Yellowstone at 45 MPH. On that tank, I got 21.06 which is the best it ever got in over 4 years. 10.4 while towing a 4K pound camper, if it even weighed that much.

@NickinColorado , you must of had an exceptional 3.5 Ecoboost. My 2017 never got better than 19 except for the driving in Yellowstone at 45 MPH. On that tank, I got 21.06 which is the best it ever got in over 4 years. 10.4 while towing a 4K pound camper, if it even weighed that much.
Agreed, my 2017 eco boost averaged 14.5, then when towing dropped to 8.5.

The only concern I would have is the DEF fluid sitting for long periods of time as it apparently has a short shelf life. At 2-3k miles a year your DEF wouldn't need to be refilled unless you were towing which also could cause freezing issues in the winter if too full and sitting (depending on region/temps).

Back