Should I let my 2021 factory order go and just order a 2022?

JDP

Tremor Fanatic
Founding Member
Reaction Points
Military
Retired Army
Current Ride
2021 F250 Platinum Tremor
I factory ordered a 2021 platinum tremor back in early march. I received word today that the soonest I should expect delivery is late July. I am really tempted to just let the dealer have it and factory order a 2022. Just feels like I will be receiving a vehicle that's already a year old and lose even more value driving off the lot when I could just preorder a 2022. I'm not in desperate need of a vehicle even though I already sold off my old truck and I am driving around in one of my other vehicles (not a truck). What say you?

Personally I would stick with the 2021. With the way the 2022’s are going given the chip shortage there’s a real chance you‘ll be in a similar situation, just a year later.

I wouldn't be surprised if the new 2022 order won't be ready until early 2022. If you can wait until then, more power to you. I'd say wait if that's the case. It always makes more fiscal sense to delay purchasing a new depreciating asset until you need it. If you need a truck sooner rather than later, then I would see the current order through. In reality, the whole depreciation off the lot thing is irrelevant over time, as mileage has much more to do with resale value than a single year difference in model year.

I factory ordered a 2021 platinum tremor back in early march. I received word today that the soonest I should expect delivery is late July. I am really tempted to just let the dealer have it and factory order a 2022. Just feels like I will be receiving a vehicle that's already a year old and lose even more value driving off the lot when I could just preorder a 2022. I'm not in desperate need of a vehicle even though I already sold off my old truck and I am driving around in one of my other vehicles (not a truck). What say you?
Welcome! What options did you order on it?

I agree with ccw. I would personally take it.

Maybe you could order a 2022 now, then when the 2021 comes in buy it. Once the 2022 is close to ready, sell the 2021. With the market how it is right now you could probably get what you would pay for the 2021 (if you pay under MSRP). Or you could buy the 2021 then wait and order a 2023. Find the options that you dont want and the ones that you do. Then when you order the 2023 it will be perfect and have all of the options that you do want and none of the ones you don't.

Just my thoughts. Do what you want. Good luck!

I wouldn’t let that 2021 go you can look around on the forum dealers are marking trucks up 5 to 10K
Here's two thoughts I have, one like @ccw sates, theres a (WAG) guess the chip shortage will improve sooner rather than later and two like @Cococounty stated, buyers having an assumption that dealers won't use all the BS to their advantage for more $$$, law of supply and demand.

You gotta do what works for you, but I don't think you will have a 22' truck any earlier than this time next year. If It were me, I would run with what @Regular Cab Duallies suggests, order your 22' and buy the 21' when it comes in then sell and buy again when the 22' shows up, if you want the latest and greatest. My dealer wanted $1,000 to order, there are others who have had dealers do $500, so you tie that up for a year. Trucks hold their value well, more so now in this market and I dont think you would lose any coin on this path.

I ordered the platinum pretty much loaded.
Tremor (obviously),
antimatter blue/marsala,
console vault,
5th wheel prep,
engine block heater,
adaptive steering,
Dual battery,
397 amp,
Upfitter switches
and customer placed trailer camera

I passed on the spray-in-bedliner because I would rather have it done after market. I sent emails out to 15 different dealerships with my offer on the truck and one finally accepted at manufacturer invoice ($250 deposit). They still make a decent profit with the Floor plan allowance, Holdback, and Advertising Allowance. I hate to let it go and there are not that many upgrades to the 2022 over the 2021, but still feels like I'm waiting on a "used" vehicle when I could get a "new" one ordered.

Tremor (obviously),
antimatter blue/marsala,
console vault,
5th wheel prep,
engine block heater,
adaptive steering,
Dual battery,
397 amp,
Upfitter switches

I passed on the spray-in-bedliner because I would rather have it done after market. I sent emails out to 15 different dealerships with my offer on the truck and one finally accepted at manufacturer invoice ($250 deposit). They still make a decent profit with the Floor plan allowance, Holdback, and Advertising Allowance. I hate to let it go and there are not that many upgrades tot he 2022 over the 2021, but still feels like I'm waiting on a "used" vehicle when I could get a "new" one ordered.
I buy A LOT of stuff (My wife says so!) and I hate it when I buy something and two weeks later they introduce a replacement, FU Apple! However, at some point you gotta have that item to enjoy it, ya know?

My 2021 was ordered in December and delivered in April. Paint and welding issues caused me to reject delivery. I've since ordered a 2022 as ordering for 2021 models had ended. Given the issue with chip shortages, you have to ask yourself how long you're willing to wait. I've been without out a pickup since December and it's killing me. But, I'm choosing to wait as I don't have a choice (I'm not buying a truck off the lot). However, if you can get your 2021, you won't have to wait as long.

BTW: the truck I refused delivery on was sold within a week: Lariat, Tremor, Black Package, and more. It was Rapid Red and was absolutely beautiful. However, I hold onto my trucks for around 10 years and the Arizona sun is tough on paint which is why I didn't accept a paint repair on a $75k+ truck.

Tremor (obviously),
antimatter blue/marsala,
console vault,
5th wheel prep,
engine block heater,
adaptive steering,
Dual battery,
397 amp,
Upfitter switches

I passed on the spray-in-bedliner because I would rather have it done after market. I sent emails out to 15 different dealerships with my offer on the truck and one finally accepted at manufacturer invoice ($250 deposit). They still make a decent profit with the Floor plan allowance, Holdback, and Advertising Allowance. I hate to let it go and there are not that many upgrades to the 2022 over the 2021, but still feels like I'm waiting on a "used" vehicle when I could get a "new" one ordered.
LMAO how is a truck with 0 miles used?

Damn you sound funny

LMAO how is a truck with 0 miles used?

Damn you sound funny
Not really "used" just already a year old before I get a chance to drive it off the lot. I am not terribly worried about resale/trade-in value. I normally buy a vehicle and drive it until the wheels fall off or the maintenance issues become more trouble than the vehicle is worth. I drove my last truck 20 years before deciding on the Tremor. The Tremor will actually be the first new vehicle I have ever owned. I have purchased used my whole life and let someone else take the depreciation hit. But now that I am in my middle 50's, I want a vehicle with the options I want and not what someone else wanted. I fully plan to have this truck be my last truck and drive it for the next 20 years (or beyond).

Not really "used" just already a year old before I get a chance to drive it off the lot. I am not terribly worried about resale/trade-in value. I normally buy a vehicle and drive it until the wheels fall off or the maintenance issues become more trouble than the vehicle is worth. I drove my last truck 20 years before deciding on the Tremor. The Tremor will actually be the first new vehicle I have ever owned. I have purchased used my whole life and let someone else take the depreciation hit. But now that I am in my middle 50's, I want a vehicle with the options I want and not what someone else wanted. I fully plan to have this truck be my last truck and drive it for the next 20 years (or beyond).
Sounds like either model year will work for you. If you’re keeping it as long as you indicate, there is no depreciation advantage to the 2022 compared to the 2021.

I would order a 22 if the 21 is going to be august

Wouldn’t surprise me if your dealer is telling you your 2021 is going be delayed so he can sell it to someone willing to pay msrp or more.
Plenty of other members are taking delivery of their 2021 Tremors. Most of the trucks at the speedway appear to be base model F250’s so I doubt yours is one of them.
Ford sells a million trucks per year, you can bet your ass they have got plan to get production up to full speed soon. Ford is issuing 2 billion in new bonds so not making as many trucks as they usually do will not go over well. If anything they will end 2021 production early.
I would order a 2022, the new screen is worth an extra month or two.

It seems government trucks will take the longest to get. Local government trucks will be last

Personally if I absolutely did not need to order a truck, I would not. Not a great time to order a vehicle under these conditions. Half built trucks, assembly line shut downs, etc, probably not good for quality control. Wait till productions returns to normal, to much unknown info.

An *early March* 2021 MY is likely to be delivered a lot sooner than a 2022 MY order placed now.

There are early March orders that have already been delivered. There are late March orders allegedly in transit.

May orders are all being thrown in a dumpster fire.

Also noting: To deliver 2022’s, Ford has said they will be “making modifications” to allow for assembly during the parts shortage. And we don’t know what those modifications might be.

Your 2021 is likely to be identical to everyone else’s 2021. The 2022, who knows what you’ll get.

Also noting: To deliver 2022’s, Ford has said they will be “making modifications” to allow for assembly during the parts shortage. And we don’t know what those modifications might be.

Your 2021 is likely to be identical to everyone else’s 2021. The 2022, who knows what you’ll get.
Devil’s advocate here - maybe the modifications will be Carli suspension with 37s, plus a 30” light bar.

Back