Tremor Fiend
Reaction Points
Military
Navy
Current Ride
2022 F250 6.7
Current Ride #2
2006 F350 DRW 6.0
I went to the dealership to the 20k service. They changed the oil and the filters.
After that I left to my summer trip and the first etap was 1500 miles. At every gas station stop there was something smelling, I even checked if I am driving with the brake on!
In Abilene, TX (I am driving from SoCal) when I stopped to buy gas, I noticed huge smoke from under the hood. Opening the hood up, I had to realize that the dealer missed to put back the oil cap. Made pictures, video, everything. The oil was everywhere and it was burning, that was the smoke and the odor. Quickly bought some oil at the station, went to the nearest camping (it happened late night) and the next morning I started with a local Ford dealer. I also called the CA dealer's service manager and told him what happened. He said he is going to reimburse me for the oil change I am paying in Abilene.... The dealer checked everything he was able to check, cut open the oil filter to see if there is any small metal part in it but there was none.
Since then, (I am still on my trip, actually in Nashville, TN) whenever I smell ANY odor, I am panicking.
There is also an "unreasonable" oil change on the history of my truck. I am pissed off.
What remedy would you be satisfied with in my position?
I was thinking to hire a lawyer and force them to buy my truck. I don't feel comfortable at all with my truck anymore and it just ruined the feeling owning a new truck and driving it happily knowing it will not broke down (I am a female, driving - like now - almost always alone thru the country). Now I am always alert about what is going on.
(Big thanks to Arrow Ford in Abilene for the quick help, they were on it!!! On my way back, they will change my oil again. That is a kind of dealership I would need in SoCal...)

If the truck never threw a warning/error about low oil pressure or started flashing telling you to pull over immediately, which it would do in the case of oil pressure loss, it's highly unlikely any damage was done. It means the engine still had sufficient oil circulating, and therefore protecting it as normal. Biggest damage is just a messy engine from the spilled oil and a lot of (understandable) frustration.

IMO it's not worth trying to get a new truck, but would be worth arguing for a full engine detailing (including steam cleaning) to bring it back to new, as well as get the spilled oil out of the crevices.

That seriously sucks, though. :(

^i think ccw response is good.

I’ve been shorted the appropriate amount of oil twice. Never drove far but was shorted 2 quarts both times. Never had any alerts other than noticing lower oil pressure than what was normal. My suburban was first year model with 8 instead of 6 quarts.

Another event… had them leave my air intake disconnected (drove to colorado) before I noticed. Fresh mountain air!

Mine was all after warranty. Each time was a different place and they lost my business.

Now I handle all my fluids and filters…

I went to the dealership to the 20k service. They changed the oil and the filters.
After that I left to my summer trip and the first etap was 1500 miles. At every gas station stop there was something smelling, I even checked if I am driving with the brake on!
In Abilene, TX (I am driving from SoCal) when I stopped to buy gas, I noticed huge smoke from under the hood. Opening the hood up, I had to realize that the dealer missed to put back the oil cap. Made pictures, video, everything. The oil was everywhere and it was burning, that was the smoke and the odor. Quickly bought some oil at the station, went to the nearest camping (it happened late night) and the next morning I started with a local Ford dealer. I also called the CA dealer's service manager and told him what happened. He said he is going to reimburse me for the oil change I am paying in Abilene.... The dealer checked everything he was able to check, cut open the oil filter to see if there is any small metal part in it but there was none.
Since then, (I am still on my trip, actually in Nashville, TN) whenever I smell ANY odor, I am panicking.
There is also an "unreasonable" oil change on the history of my truck. I am pissed off.
I was thinking to hire a lawyer and force them to buy my truck. I don't feel comfortable at all with my truck anymore and it just ruined the feeling owning a new truck and driving it happily knowing it will not broke down (I am a female, driving - like now - almost always alone thru the country). Now I am always alert about what is going on.
(Big thanks to Arrow Ford in Abilene for the quick help, they were on it!!! On my way back, they will change my oil again. That is a kind of dealership I would need in SoCal...)
That sucks! The same thing happened to my 2012 when I first got it. So much for the free oil change. That’s the reason I change my oun oil.

That sucks! The same thing happened to my 2012 when I first got it. So much for the free oil change. That’s the reason I change my oun oil

All kidding aside, it's amazing how neatly stacked next to each other those rail cars are. When I approach a high-speed rail line and the crossing arms are down, I stay way back if I'm the first car. If it were to jump the tracks at the grade crossing those things go quite far off the rails.

All kidding aside, it's amazing how neatly stacked next to each other those rail cars are. When I approach a high-speed rail line and the crossing arms are down, I stay way back if I'm the first car. If it were to jump the tracks at the grade crossing those things go quite far off the rails.
Wrong thread? ;)

The 8 qt fill is for longevity, I wouldn't sweat it if the oil pressure alarm didn't sound. It can likely run off 5 qts reliably.

Get 2 changes reimbursement and do your own from then on, just MHO

I'd suggest taking CCW's advice and ask for a full engine detail. Heck, get the whole truck detailed. It costs them very little. I'd also ask for some service/parts credit to be put on the books. You're going to need tires/brakes/filters/wipers/bulbs/something in the next 50k miles get them to pay for it. Or have you had your eye on that Ford accessory? Ask that they provide/install it for you. That way you don't feel obligated to go back to them and have them change your oil again if you've lost confidence in them.

After that, move on. Your truck is/will be fine. The extra service record will never raise an eyebrow for anyone looking back at history. If an EXTRA oil change (or two) upsets a potential buyer on a heavy duty truck like these then they're not a real buyer anyway.

Had something similar happen a few years ago. Oil change monkeys are not mechanics. They often Rush and do sloppy work. Number one reason I do my own.

I am not saying All Ford mechanics are bad, ( some are awesome ) But dealership cheap oil changes are like eating fast food, sooner or later it will catch up with you.

Ugh. I know these are the oil change guys, but when I hear basic shit like this, I am so NOT looking forward to the dealership mechanics inspecting (and repairing?!?!?!) axle welds.

I've gotten into the habbit of checking over the work they do before I even leave the dealership. Check the dipstick, the filler cap, and the oil filter. Leave a mark on the rim to make sure the tires were rotated, etc. Its worth it in order to make sure everything was done properly and to avoid these kinds of things.

These are just my personal thoughts. I don't know if hiring a lawyer is the best option. Even if you manage to find an attorney to take your case under a contingency fee agreement, meaning you wouldn't pay the attorney's hourly rate, you are going to have a difficult time proving damages. Further, it's unlikely the dealership left the cap off on purpose, that means you are likely limited to a claim of negligence, which likely requires some showing of harm under CA law.

Practically speaking, @MrMallerd suggestion is a great option. I'd add that when you speak with the service manager, don't come out guns-a-blazing. Instead articulate what pissed you off. For example, you brought the truck to a dealership because you want to take the best care of your truck that you can and you put your trust in the dealership instead of some random quick lube place. Then focus on how stressful your drive was, and what a long drive it was, constantly second guessing the other work they performed. Let them know it caused bouts of paranoia with every foreign smell. You get the idea here. At the end, ask what they plan on doing to get your trust back.

Back