Sending Truck Back to Dealer? Truck Order Gone Wrong - F350 11400 GVWR Package

I read this as 11500 you have to stop period
You are correct sir. I called 3 different weigh stations and got the same answer all 3 times. I was also told by one officer that if he had a 350 at 11,500 that he wouldn't stop. That's easy to say when you have a get out of jail free card in you wallet!

You are correct sir. I called 3 different weigh stations and got the same answer all 3 times. I was also told by one officer that if he had a 350 at 11,500 that he wouldn't stop. That's easy to say when you have a get out of jail free card in you wallet!
There is no reason to stop. They don't know your GVWR as you drive by in a pickup truck.

There is no reason to stop. They don't know your GVWR as you drive by in a pickup truck.
Not yet. But once they figure out how much revenue they can generate from this, look out.
Simple solution Is buy a 250 with max tow and haul whatever you want and avoid the hassle.

I said the same thing to the officer at the Truckee scale. He stated that they, and I quote "stop people ALL THE TIME". He said that there was a federal grant that gives them the resources to do it. Whether or not you choose to believe him is up to you. Just relaying what I was told.

Not yet. But once they figure out how much revenue they can generate from this, look out.
Simple solution Is buy a 250 with max tow and haul whatever you want and avoid the hassle.
I agree it just a matter of time till that figure out how much revenue their losing. I thought about just changing the fender badging to F250.

I have a 2021 Tremor 6.7 350 that I specially ordered with it derated to 11,400 since I'm also in CA. I did it for the same reasons others listed above. It wouldn't allow me to add it on the Ford site but the dealer was able to do it on the order form. Made sure to check the door sticker before signing the paperwork.
Any chance you could pm me your window sticker? I’m trying to find one to show my dealer it can be done.

Unbelievable. All I can say is, I'm sorry for all of you that are still in California. Just un frikin unbelievable ..
? This is one of the more logical and reasonable set of well-intentioned rules that are quite effortless to work within. No need to pity us. State hate is a distraction.

Any chance you could pm me your window sticker? I’m trying to find one to show my dealer it can be done.
There’s many on Ford.com. Here’s a 11300# derate: https://www.windowsticker.forddirec...1dR5o0Z8bU8lEaGlkRZXfUpnbDm9WTtlY9ITC48sOFbo=

This is at Folsom Lake Ford. I can PM you a 2022 order sheet from this dealer with the 11400# derate as well. I can also send you an email from a gentleman at this dealer, Gary Katz, who said: “Most customers that order a 350 downgrade to 11,400 GVWR to save a few bucks on registration.”

I had this same question before buying. Ultimately I netted out on preferring a 10000# rating. Saves several more bucks and there’s no way I’d ever put more than that weight on this truck unless I was feeling suicidal.

I recommend reaching out to Gary at Folsom Lake and asking him your questions. He’s one of the more helpful dealers I’ve found in California. I’m bummed he didn’t I have a truck on the lot I could buy from him.

? This is one of the more logical and reasonable set of well-intentioned rules that are quite effortless to work within. No need to pity us. State hate is a distraction.
Yeah, they're so "effortless" all you need is a flowchart, a question and answer session with a highway patrol officer, and specific instructions relayed to whomever places orders at your chosen dealer.

Remind me again what is the net positive is here? What are the specific statistics indicating this exact regulation saves lives or costs? I'll hang up and listen.

"State hate" really is a distraction, considering as of 2020 California is losing population for the first time in a hundred years, but boiled frogs gonna keep on keeping on all the while analogously arguing the world is flat.

Yeah, they're so "effortless" all you need is a flowchart, a question and answer session with a highway patrol officer, and specific instructions relayed to whomever places orders at your chosen dealer.

Remind me again what is the net positive is here? What are the specific statistics indicating this exact regulation saves lives or costs? I'll hang up and listen.
You need a flowchart to understand: “Over 11500#? Stop and weigh.”

I don’t make the rules. I just don’t get hyperbolic about them.

You need a flowchart to understand: “Over 11500#? Stop and weigh.”

I don’t make the rules. I just don’t get hyperbolic about them.
Oh so that's the only consideration at hand? Having to stop at weigh stations? I could've sworn there was more context mentioned in this very thread.

Again, you mentioned this was "well-intentioned"... so you surely know what the purpose is then of this relatively unique regulation, right? Why don't you share? What problem did this solve exactly?

Oh so that's the only consideration at hand? Having to stop at weigh stations? I could've sworn there was more context mentioned in this very thread.

If you’re just looking for a fight you’re barking up the wrong tree. I don’t find this to be something worth getting upset over.

If you’re just looking for a fight you’re barking up the wrong tree. I don’t find this to be something worth getting upset over.
I'm simply asking what specific problem this unique regulation is solving in your state. You are the lone individual in this thread advocating for the regulation, and seem to indicate that it corrected an ill, so I'm just curious what that was. I'm asking you to show your math is all.

I mean you bought (or are buying?) an HD truck, and you're perplexed how someone gets close to GVWR? Are you serious? It happens via a slide-in camper, a TT or 5er with a high tongue or pin weight, or any of the above plus a family of four and all of their stuff in the truck as well. Why does this need to be explained on a forum dedicated to 3/4 ton and 1 ton trucks? Why do you think we have threads dedicated to doorjam sticker payload capacities? It's not for picking up mulch once a year at Home Depot.

Last edited:
I'm simply asking what specific problem this unique regulation is solving in your state. You are the lone individual in this thread advocating for the regulation, and seem to indicate that it corrected an ill, so I'm just curious what that was. I'm asking you to show your math is all.

I’m not advocating for anything. I’m saying I’m not bothered by rule making and accept that rules are hard and you can only please some of the people some of the time.

I didn’t make the rule and I’m not bothered by the rule so I don’t have the numbers. Do you?

The best I know is that people are killed every day by overloaded and misused trucks. I personally see yahoo’s on the road every day pushing their pickups beyond their purpose. So I’m personally quite fine with checks and balances to reduce the chance they kill me or my own.

The great thing about this country is if you don’t like it you can vote or run to change it. Let me know when I can donate to your campaign.

I’m not advocating for anything. I’m saying I’m not bothered by rule making and accept that rules are hard and you can only please some of the people some of the time.

I didn’t make the rule and I’m not bothered by the rule so I don’t have the numbers. Do you?

The best I know is that people are killed every day by overloaded and misused trucks. I see yahoo’s on the road every day pushing their pickups beyond their purpose. I’m personally quite fine with checks and balances to reduce the chance they kill me or my own.

The great thing about this country is if you don’t like it you can vote or run to change it. Let me know when I can donate to your campaign.
That's neat you're not bothered by this rule. Totally contextual to this thread too right? One started by a guy who might have to go back to square one on a truck order because of a simple paperwork and doorjamb sticker issue. But that's cool everyone, we have a poster here that's good with the rule.

We're talking about people having to go through significant headaches related to whether or not their truck has a sticker in the doorjamb saying one number, or another number 100 pounds higher. This has nothing to do with people dying so settle down Kamala. None of us want to be the clown with the over-loaded truck, that's why we've all purchased HD trucks.

So I guess you're an advocate for something, but don't actually know what you're advocating for or why?

We're talking about people having to go through significant headaches related to whether or not their truck has a sticker in the doorjamb saying one number, or another number 100 pounds higher. This has nothing to do with people dying so settle down Kamala. None of us want to be the clown with the over-loaded truck, that's why we've all purchased HD trucks.
? I’m not sure I’m the one that needs to settle down here. I can assure you I’m quite relaxed. California has a way of helping with that. ?

Not interested in an e-argument for arguments sake.

Wishing you the best. ✌️?

I believe mine is coming with the 11,400 rating but if it is a 11,500 there are two chances some damn DMV sticker is going on the side of my $100K truck. The same two chances apply to my stopping at truck scales.

There’s many on Ford.com. Here’s a 11300# derate: https://www.windowsticker.forddirect.com/windowsticker.pdf?token=eiEab0t3DqW5sZyIVh5IaUPIwEtP5r1wHLvl99OfLsD6QEZa8t99VQAn4sdEZT4za4kZxV7HOusQwsAwdkj4lmexBFOdbQMm1tHh/erSgrESKcCoT8vO5qGx2kwVoQb1dR5o0Z8bU8lEaGlkRZXfUpnbDm9WTtlY9ITC48sOFbo=

This is at Folsom Lake Ford. I can PM you a 2022 order sheet from this dealer with the 11400# derate as well. I can also send you an email from a gentleman at this dealer, Gary Katz, who said: “Most customers that order a 350 downgrade to 11,400 GVWR to save a few bucks on registration.”

I had this same question before buying. Ultimately I netted out on preferring a 10000# rating. Saves several more bucks and there’s no way I’d ever put more than that weight on this truck unless I was feeling suicidal.

I recommend reaching out to Gary at Folsom Lake and asking him your questions. He’s one of the more helpful dealers I’ve found in California. I’m bummed he didn’t I have a truck on the lot I could buy from him.
If you could pm the order sheet that would be great!

Back