Sending Truck Back to Dealer? Truck Order Gone Wrong - F350 11400 GVWR Package

It's theoretically possible to do this, but expect it to be a time consuming process with many dead ends and a lot of waiting.
Has anyone tried it and is there info on how it is done?

Wondering if there is a way to up-rate a Tremor F250 payload/GVWR? Given the only difference in the Tremor F250/F350 suspension/capability is the door sticker. Would be nice to go from 10800 to 11500 on my 21 6.7.
It’s technically possible to up-rate a vehicle but it would be cheaper and faster to sell your truck and buy a new one. You’d have to get a certified coach builder willing to alter the GVWR and file the appropriate paperwork with the government (NHTSA I think).

I was indirectly involved with a GVWR change on a fleet order and it was a huge headache. It took almost 6 months to get final approval for the change even though all the components were the same (just needed front GAWR to go from 10k to 12k and this manufacturer used the same parts for those configurations, just a derate). No one wants the liability if something goes wrong.

It’s technically possible to up-rate a vehicle but it would be cheaper and faster to sell your truck and buy a new one. You’d have to get a certified coach builder willing to alter the GVWR and file the appropriate paperwork with the government (NHTSA I think).

I was indirectly involved with a GVWR change on a fleet order and it was a huge headache. It took almost 6 months to get final approval for the change even though all the components were the same (just needed front GAWR to go from 10k to 12k and this manufacturer used the same parts for those configurations, just a derate). No one wants the liability if something goes wrong.
Ok, probably not worth it for the average F250 Tremor owner. If it was as easy as clicking on a webpage and paying a few bucks, it would totally be worth it... :cool:

Last edited:
Thanks for the info folks. I dont have any real reason to need the extra payload right now, but just knowing the capability is there but the sticker is not kinda irks me.
Reminded of the saying, it is easier to ask forgiveness than permission. But probably not the battle one would want to be in in the event of an accident or liability situation...

I filled out the contract before I noticed
Bright side is if the production is shut down, the value of your Tremor is going up, may be able to make lemonade out of lemons. Yours will be a high demand truck.

I'm in CA and have a 21 F350 6.7 Platinum Tremor with the 11,400 package. Your dealer is full of shit and just doesn't want to deal with it...they already made the sale.

Do you have documentation you ordered the 11,400 package? I don't believe there is anything that can be done at this point unless the dealer will take it back and order new.

well thank you.
do you have any more info you could PM me so I can show my dealer?

Last edited:
At 11,500 in CA you have to pay a higher registration fee, put stickers on your truck doors listing its GVWR (called a CVRA sticker if you want to see one), and you are supposed to stop at all weigh stations (hence the stickers).
I hate California. I'm so glad my family and I left that place.

This one has 11300 scroll across the pics and you will get to the door stickers

window sticker

just like one above:

window sticker

I left California in the late 80's. I was understanding the GVW-Commercial rating are applicable because it being over 10,000 GVW. And yes, the Commercial plates apply for that reason. But as a POV, you don't have to go threw the Scales, or pay Commercial Insurance. Dually trucks, 250/350 trucks, Trucks with Cabover Campers, towing Travel Trailers, Boats, Horse Trailers and 5th Wheels etc, fall under personal use. For example, towing a Construction/Dump Trailer for hire, the Commercial applications and the Scales regulation become applicable.

@joshdangit it's my understanding that here in California you can voluntarily derate your GVWR on your registration. I've not done this myself so am not sure how true this is, but finding lots of conversation about this on other forums with a quick search.

I left California in the late 80's. I was understanding the GVW-Commercial rating are applicable because it being over 10,000 GVW. And yes, the Commercial plates apply for that reason. But as a POV, you don't have to go threw the Scales, or pay Commercial Insurance. Dually trucks, 250/350 trucks, Trucks with Cabover Campers, towing Travel Trailers, Boats, Horse Trailers and 5th Wheels etc, fall under personal use. For example, towing a Construction/Dump Trailer for hire, the Commercial applications and the Scales regulation become applicable.
There is not an exception for personal use (not anymore anyway). Here is a link to the CalTrans page. If the vehicle qualifies at a “motor truck” then it is required to stop at the scales.

As stormtrooper69 pointed out, you could go with a gas 350. Their top GVWR is 11,300 lbs.

I checked the form for declaring gvw with the DMV. The language is geared toward heavy trucks but you could, in theory, select the 10,000 lbs or less gvw option to avoid the registration fee but, if I’m reading this site right, the truck would still fall under CVRA and so you would still legally be required to run stickers and stop at weigh stations. Here is a quote:

Excluded Vehicles—The following vehicles are excluded from the CVRA:
  • Pickup trucks continue to be registered by the unladen weight and assessed a weight fee regardless of the vehicle’s GVW. The unladen weight of a pickup cannot exceed 8,000 pounds and its GVW rating must be less than 11,500 pounds.

Sorry, I know I’m not being super constructive. I was just heading off some questions. You have three options: Get an F250 diesel and deal with a 2500-ish pound payload rating, get an F350 gas and deal with no diesel power plant, or keep the F350 and do the weigh stations and pay the extra $322/year.

I said before I went 250 but, in retrospect, there aren’t as many weigh stations as I though so I would probably go 350 if I was going to do it again. Just my $0.02

edit: option 4, you could get a regular F350 and add the carli lift. Gets you everything but the offroad modes and the limited slip front diff.

There is not an exception for personal use (not anymore anyway). Here is a link to the CalTrans page. If the vehicle qualifies at a “motor truck” then it is required to stop at the scales.

As stormtrooper69 pointed out, you could go with a gas 350. Their top GVWR is 11,300 lbs.

I checked the form for declaring gvw with the DMV. The language is geared toward heavy trucks but you could, in theory, select the 10,000 lbs or less gvw option to avoid the registration fee but, if I’m reading this site right, the truck would still fall under CVRA and so you would still legally be required to run stickers and stop at weigh stations. Here is a quote:

Excluded Vehicles—The following vehicles are excluded from the CVRA:
  • Pickup trucks continue to be registered by the unladen weight and assessed a weight fee regardless of the vehicle’s GVW. The unladen weight of a pickup cannot exceed 8,000 pounds and its GVW rating must be less than 11,500 pounds.

Sorry, I know I’m not being super constructive. I was just heading off some questions. You have three options: Get an F250 diesel and deal with a 2500-ish pound payload rating, get an F350 gas and deal with no diesel power plant, or keep the F350 and do the weigh stations and pay the extra $322/year.

I said before I went 250 but, in retrospect, there aren’t as many weigh stations as I though so I would probably go 350 if I was going to do it again. Just my $0.02

edit: option 4, you could get a regular F350 and add the carli lift. Gets you everything but the offroad modes and the limited slip front diff.
Much appreciated, so you agree that 68L (11400) isn’t available on the tremor?

@joshdangit it's my understanding that here in California you can voluntarily derate your GVWR on your registration. I've not done this myself so am not sure how true this is, but finding lots of conversation about this on other forums with a quick search.
You can derate based on unladen weight but then you can’t haul more than 10000 GVWR.

I read this as 11500 you have to stop period

Attachments

• 6DC5C2C7-2032-4718-8977-E280C1311D20.png
    6DC5C2C7-2032-4718-8977-E280C1311D20.png
    719.7 KB · Views: 54
You can derate based on unladen weight but then you can’t haul more than 10000 GVWR.
Curious: What might you be hauling in the pickup bed that could put you over 10K? (That you wouldn’t put on the trailer instead.)

Curious: What might you be hauling in the pickup bed that could put you over 10K? (That you wouldn’t put on the trailer instead.)
A little more context on this question: To get to 10000# in one of these trucks you’d need 4 passengers and a full palette of concrete bags. At that point the bed would be dimensionally full, I think you’d be somewhere beyond the limits of the Tremor tires, you’d have a terrible ride, and you’d be in for some hair raising braking situations.

By contrast you could much more comfortably and safely put at least a few pallets on a trailer without nearing the GVWR or GCVWR.

So I can’t figure why to optimize for GVWR unless your swapping in a flat bed (at which point I figured you’d go for a dually) or a camper?

Much appreciated, so you agree that 68L (11400) isn’t available on the tremor?
When I ordered mine (20MY) you could not order the Tremor package with 68L. There isn’t a reason for that to be the case since 68L is a paper derate but it must not be allowed in the actual build tree.

It’s odd though because for 20MY, selecting 68L on the build and price tool would remove the Tremor package. That isn’t the case right now (just tried it). However, the build and price tool is separate from the actual ordering system so the restriction may still be in place.

I have a 2021 Tremor 6.7 350 that I specially ordered with it derated to 11,400 since I'm also in CA. I did it for the same reasons others listed above. It wouldn't allow me to add it on the Ford site but the dealer was able to do it on the order form. Made sure to check the door sticker before signing the paperwork.

Back