Security and Alarms

HotToddy

Tremor Fanatic
Founding Member
Reaction Points
Current Ride
"Silver Fox" 22 F250 Tremor 7.3L
Hey guys, any suggestions for additional security or alarms for when my Tremor arrives? I was originally planning on using this truck as my go-to for back-country/trailhead access for multiple day/week backpacking trips. Completely rethinking this now that I see how coveted these trucks are. (F250 7.3L)

Reactions: ccw
If you are looking for security, there is nothing better than this:

Just saw you are in Arizona. Just north of Tucson here. What about you? Welcome to the forum by the way!

Hey guys, any suggestions for additional security or alarms for when my Tremor arrives? I was originally planning on using this truck as my go-to for back-country/trailhead access for multiple day/week backpacking trips. Completely rethinking this now that I see how coveted these trucks are. (F250 7.3L)

Ravelco is definitely one solution, but they're only legendary on internet forums... The real world has very little knowledge of the company, despite the fact that it's been around for three decades. There just isn't any verifiable documentation of their effectiveness aside from a single news story from like 2009. The company is literally one guy out in California and the product hasn't changed even one time since it was launched before the advent of the internet in the mid-nineties - not even to offer a different color plastic. The installers are independent contractors, each behaving in his own way; some ask for gas money, some will only take cash depending on your address. Many prefer to meet in box store parking lots, some will come to your home.

The kill switch itself is a well proven concept and this take on the technology is an interesting one. I would love to see an analytic review of the system, but they don't exist. It's always a guy on a forum who knows loads of cops who all swear by the unwieldy grey bottlecap; it's always very emotively defended by those who paid to have it installed, and it always seems to be a defense spurred by a perceived insult to their personal investment and decision-making abilities more than it is about the product itself. The byline is that it's never, ever, been defeated when properly used... Okay, that's awesome! Can we source that? Is there any record at all to back up these claims?

Nope.

That said, kill switches, using traditional toggles, RFID, or hidden magnetic switches work well. Ravelco being nothing but a pinned take on the kill switch concept likely works well too. But so do engine and system bus immobilizers, particularly if they are uncommon implementations. Honestly though? Layering differing solutions works even better and despite the 'nothing really matters' crowd, these trucks - once properly hardened - become exceptionally hard to steal. Once you've tackled the common means of theft, including removing the tumbler, swapping the drivers handle, installing Jimmi Jammer door plates, covering the front grille wiring in steel tubing, setting police options in ForScan, installing security film on your glass, storing your keys in a Faraday box when not in use, (to defeat relay attacks) and finally implementing some form of immobilizer solution - you're more likely going to have to deal with damage caused by the failed attempt and the attacker's anger taken out on the truck. Even the Go Jack crowd can't seriously claim it's likely thieves are going to be able to push your 7500 pound truck around on roller skates without a wrecker - even if the jacks themselves were rated to this weight - and they're not.

I'll be honest, I kind of want to get one of those viper alarms, just so the truck will talk with a very stern sounding transformer voice when prompted... I think that might be cooler than my wolo air horn.

Anyway.

While anything can be stolen if it's wanted bad enough, consider that by the numbers - and living where you do, it is unlikely Memphis Raines from 'Gone in 60 Seconds' is going to be jacking your ride. I lived off of Silverbell and Grant for over a decade, elsewhere North of Oro Valley for about as long... Most car theft in Southern Arizona is explicitly paint by numbers, known exploits, targets of opportunity committed by exactly who you would expect, in exactly the areas you would expect.

Just make sure that if you perform the tumbler delete, that you provide yourself an external charging solution just in case your battery ever dies and you need to put a charge on before you can unlock your cab. I used Noco, linked below, but there are others - home-brewed solutions too. Just make sure there's a firewall between the shore power and your system to protect against surge attacks, and you'll be fine.

Last edited:
@JHForman812 found out there’s an OEM shock sensor you can add to bolster the factory alarm system.

Here’s the post with the part number, along with some discussion about it around that post:

@JHForman812 found out there’s an OEM shock sensor you can add to bolster the factory alarm system.

Here’s the post with the part number, along with some discussion about it around that post:

Hot damn!
I'm in.

It is also available for the 20/21s part number KN1Z-19A361-A

It is also available for the 20/21s part number KN1Z-19A361-A

Right. That's the part number of the link I just posted.

After looking more carefully into this perimeter plus module, I noticed that most people are installing it to provide remote start functionality for their vehicles. Already having that feature, I was curious if perhaps this was another of those functions Ford disables if you don't explicitly select the option.

Well, it wasn't long before I started seeing things like the video below: claiming this module, under a different part number, IS already installed on many of our vehicles - that it is simply not activated. In the example I linked, he says um a lot, vocalizes feeling that Ford lied to him, but more importantly, he identifies the specific Forscan setting and activation process to gain access to the functions provided by the perimeter plus module.

I have to go into my dash anyway, likely tomorrow morning, so I might just poke around for this as well.

Attachments

• 2020 VSS explorer install.pdf
    5.4 MB · Views: 46
Last edited:
Been leaving it at trailheads for multiply days since I got it, in a couple different states, no issues. I just keep my insurance paid up and my inreach on me so I am not totally stuck if it's not at the trailhead when I come out.

Another few suggestion:
3M security window tint (tint front, clear rear). It isn't magic but will make it take more time to get in.

Also there is a company called Jimmy Jammer that makes plates to reinforce the door locks, a common entry point.

A GPS tracker hidden in the truck isn't a bad idea either.

If you are looking for security, there is nothing better than this:

Just saw you are in Arizona. Just north of Tucson here. What about you? Welcome to the forum by the way!
Southern AZ. Thanks! You’re all great. Hubby laughs that I spend my free time in this forum, but he’s excited about the Tremor too.
Been leaving it at trailheads for multiply days since I got it, in a couple different states, no issues. I just keep my insurance paid up and my inreach on me so I am not totally stuck if it's not at the trailhead when I come out.
Love my InReach! I’ll talk to my agent. A friends brand new SD was stolen in Tucson years ago. Insurance told him he’ll get paid after day 30 if it’s not found. It was found destroyed on day 29 on the res, upholstery, interior, and body destroyed, fence posts in the windshield, etc. He got screwed bc his insurance wouldn’t pay him nearly what it cost to repair it. Curious what insurance companies will do since most of us are paying over MSRP. Don’t want to find out.

Last edited:
  • Wow
Sonoita. Thanks! You’re all great. Hubby laughs that I spend my free time in this forum, but he’s excited about the Tremor too.

Love my InReach! I’ll talk to my agent. A friends brand new SD was stolen in Tucson years ago. Insurance told him he’ll get paid after day 30 if it’s not found. It was found destroyed on day 29 on the res, upholstery, interior, and body destroyed, fence posts in the windshield, etc. He got screwed bc his insurance wouldn’t pay him nearly what it cost to repair it. Curious what insurance companies will do since most of us are paying over MSRP. Don’t want to find out.
With xplan and PCO I was under invoice so it it gets stolen it gets stolen...I probably need to at least start taking the key out of it when I lock it up...lol

With xplan and PCO I was under invoice so it it gets stolen it gets stolen...I probably need to at least start taking the key out of it when I lock it up...lol

Totally... What's another seven month wait for a replacement order?
We can start a new purgatory thread.

The key! You sound just like my husband!

What’s PCO? Idk what Xplan is either but ive been reading about it in the forum...not sure I want to know now, but this is my first brand new vehicle...ever. Picked the wrong year/time to be having a first.

After looking more carefully into this perimeter plus module, I noticed that most people are installing it to provide remote start functionality for their vehicles. Already having that feature, I was curious if perhaps this was another of those functions Ford disables if you don't explicitly select the option.

Well, it wasn't long before I started seeing things like the video below: claiming this module, under a different part number, IS already installed on many of our vehicles - that it is simply not activated. In the example I linked, he says um a lot, vocalizes feeling that Ford lied to him, but more importantly, he identifies the specific Forscan setting and activation process to gain access to the functions provided by the perimeter plus module.

I have to go into my dash anyway, likely tomorrow morning, so I might just poke around for this as well.
So I tried this on my 21 Lariat Ultimate and it doesn’t work like the guy in the video. I’m guess I don’t have that box like he does so I ordered it from fairway ford. The forscan changes he made were what mine was already set to so it isn’t that.

I’ll update after I get it and install it which should be in just a couple days. Would have been nice if we had it preinstalled. You 22 guys and gals with sync 4 will have to remove the center screen to install this.

So I tried this on my 21 Lariat Ultimate and it doesn’t work like the guy in the video. I’m guess I don’t have that box like he does so I ordered it from fairway ford. The forscan changes he made were what mine was already set to so it isn’t that.

I’ll update after I get it and install it which should be in just a couple days. Would have been nice if we had it preinstalled. You 22 guys and gals with sync 4 will have to remove the center screen to install this.

Thanks for looking, that's too bad... Was hoping we might have scored one for free there. For anyone interested, Here's the best price I found during maybe 45 seconds of searching.

Thanks for looking, that's too bad... Was hoping we might have scored one for free there. For anyone interested, Here's the best price I found during maybe 45 seconds of searching.

Fairway ford is $3 more but offers free shipping plus you can call them and use your ford points.

This is the sync 3 version.

I have the revelco anti theft device. The install is clean, yes the bottle cap size device is grey, not an issue for me. It completely defeats the ignition when used. The person who installed mine told me, it would take him over an hour to start my truck or to defeat it even though he Installed it. He does charge a trip fee if outside his service area. I had 5 trucks lined up for him to do, no trip fee plus a discount for each truck. Takes him about 2 hours per truck. He services the San Antonio area, Ford Superduty is by far the most frequently stolen vehicle. The Revelco system is expensive, there is the argument of "that's what I have insurance" for. True, but insurance does not cover the inconvenience. You and the family have the truck loaded up, stop at Bass Pro for some last minute things, you walk out and the truck is gone. Six to eight Ford SD are stolen a week from the Bass Pro in San Antonio, this comes from San Antonio Police officers who are privy to those stats, plus most of them endorse and have the Revelco on their trucks. We all know insurance is not going to enable you a new replacement Tremor without a lengthy wait. Just wanted to share me experiences with Revelco, its your money and your truck.

Helpful info, definitely going to check it out.. I love though how this guy states he's an IT guy / engineer lol.. Just because you claim that doesn't automatically make you a smart person. I've met several IT guys who are very smart and others who seem like they printed their certs off the internet. I'm in IT by trade as well, but I don't need to start everything with that comment.. disregard what I just said that sounded hypocritical lol.

Back