Safety Chain Hook-ups - Piling On

Mach'er

Race Red Slappy
Reaction Points
Military
Army Veteran
Current Ride
20MY Tremor (250 Lariat)
Not to kick a dead horse, but I just hooked up my ATV/Utility trailer for the first time.

Holy crap! WTF were they thinking? Hammerlocks, here I come. Or shackles. Or something. This is absolutely ridiculous.

Sorry. I just had to get that out.

Not to kick a dead horse, but I just hooked up my ATV/Utility trailer for the first time.

Holy crap! WTF were they thinking? Hammerlocks, here I come. Or shackles. Or something. This is absolutely ridiculous.

Sorry. I just had to get that out.
Hammerlocks ?

While changing out hooks on "your" trailers is fine but what happens when you have to pull a different trailer???

I think having a set of shackles in truck, ready to use is the easiest way to ensure you can hook up to anything.

What hammerlocks is everyone using?

What hammerlocks is everyone using?
I ordered a set of these hammerlocks for the rear hitch as my safety cable hooks were not connecting properly due to the thickness of the receiver. These get the job done. They work great and no rattling or noise when rolling.

TWO PACK 1/2 inch Grade 80 Hammerlock chain link kit for GMC2500 and F-250 safety chain hookup SHIPPING INCLUDED.
1/2 inch hammerlock chain link kit grade 80 with 12,000 lb working load limit. Manufactured by Peerless Chain Company.
www.autohaulersupply.com
5217557F-3D50-4613-B86B-E4D88B1EA76B.jpeg

Last edited:
Why not just replace the hooks on your little trailer?
It's not a little trailer. It's a double axle trailer with a GVR of just shy of 8000 lbs. Not exactly a little class ii guy. I'm guessing the hooks are fairly standard. Seems the design team didn't do a good analysis of customer requirements.

Personally I think the shackles would be a better choice, if you're not changing out hooks on the trailer. You can take the shackles off when not in use and there way easier to replace if need be. Again personal preference but whether its hammer links or shackles just hanging there, it just doesn't look quite right.........

Now for guys that end up pulling different trailers or really have a variety of trailers and changing hooks is a pain, then yeah I guess you almost have to have something hanging back there.

But the root cause of all this is an engineer or group of engineers that need to get out from behind their computer and try $hit in the rear world!!! LOL

Why not just replace the hooks on your little trailer?
Much easier to change the truck than hav
It's not a little trailer. It's a double axle trailer with a GVR of just shy of 8000 lbs. Not exactly a little class ii guy. I'm guessing the hooks are fairly standard. Seems the design team didn't do a good analysis of customer requirements.
Personally I think the shackles would be a better choice, if you're not changing out hooks on the trailer. You can take the shackles off when not in use and there way easier to replace if need be. Again personal preference but whether its hammer links or shackles just hanging there, it just doesn't look quite right.........

Now for guys that end up pulling different trailers or really have a variety of trailers and changing hooks is a pain, then yeah I guess you almost have to have something hanging back there.

But the root cause of all this is an engineer or group of engineers that need to get out from behind their computer and try $hit in the rear world!!! LOL
Shackles don’t have nearly the load capacity of hammerlocks

Prior to my 2020 Tremor, I had a 2017 & a 2019 F150. Both F150's had the same crappy safety chain hookup.

Attachments

• AbouttoExplode.jpg
    AbouttoExplode.jpg
    76.8 KB · Views: 97
HAHAHA. You made my evening.
I'm glad! Those shackles from Fastenal are the best that I've found and are drop shipped right to your door. Easy peasy.

Their WLL are higher capacity for equivalent sizing AND their safety factors are 6:1 AND can be side loaded.

I'm glad! Those shackles from Fastenal are the best that I've found and are drop shipped right to your door. Easy peasy.

Their WLL are higher capacity for equivalent sizing AND their safety factors are 6:1 AND can be side loaded.
2x the load limit and cleaner look
0036B7EF-324C-460E-85E8-04278901A2C2.png

Latest Discussions

Back