RV upgrade and towing capacity help

Cjohnson

Tremor Newbie
Reaction Points
Current Ride
Ford F-350
Hey, so I have a lifted F-350 super duty diesel with a long bed and rear air shocks (NOT a DRW) on 35’s. I currently have a 35’ TT that I moved to Virginia Beach from San Diego with ease. I’m looking to upgrade my RV though, as we are full-timers with 3 kids and 2 dogs and the weather here just isn’t as outdoor friendly year round ?. I’m terrible with figuring out how much I can tow, and how big I can go, so can anybody help me with that? I’ve been looking at the Cyclone 4006, but I’m guessing that it might be to heavy...?

Last edited:
the hitch weight is 3,240 Lbs, what is the payload you have on your truck? How much weight for cargo and passengers are needed, along with hitch weight?

It’s diesel too
7459870F-C742-447C-8F08-183FCCE591DD.jpeg
F13347A8-7181-46C4-8B4A-08A19B393B5A.jpeg

Are you talking 3240lbs for a 5er or TT? If the 3240lbs is hitch weight for a 5th wheel that is a heavy trailer and already over your 3095lb payload for the truck. If this is the hitch tongue weight for a TT, then you should be good.

Are you talking 3240lbs for a 5er or TT? If the 3240lbs is hitch weight for a 5th wheel that is a heavy trailer and already over your 3095lb payload for the truck. If this is the hitch tongue weight for a TT, then you should be good.
It’s for a 5th wheel, which I now see is to heavy, however just about all of the hitch weights on these bunkhouse 5th wheels are at least 2900. I figured my truck could handle a bigger RV but I guess not...

I have a 37 foot GD (311BHS). Hitch weight is 2600lbs and tow it with my 7.3L gas tremor. The GVWR is 13995lbs but never get to that weight. Anything more than 15000lbs GVWR or 3000lb hitch weight is DRW territory IMHO, but i see people pull over 15000lb with their SRW all the time but its not my business to say. I always "try" to error on the side of safety first. I do see a heavier 5er in my future and will be going to a DRW, hoping I can still keep my SRW Tremor.

I have a 37 foot GD (311BHS). Hitch weight is 2600lbs and tow it with my 7.3L gas tremor. The GVWR is 13995lbs but never get to that weight. Anything more than 15000lbs GVWR or 3000lb hitch weight is DRW territory IMHO, but i see people pull over 15000lb with their SRW all the time but its not my business to say. I always "try" to error on the side of safety first. I do see a heavier 5er in my future and will be going to a DRW, hoping I can still keep my SRW Tremor.

I'm in a similar situation as you regarding trailer size - could you share what your real world experience is towing with the 7.3L? How often are you towing, how far, and mountains or flat?

What's your real world MPG while towing that 5er? For me, I'm less concerned about the actual fuel economy and more about the actual range since the dang gas tank is so small.

I was ready to pull the trigger on the 6.7L because I just didn't want to worry about struggling towing, having great range, etc. But the more research I did, the more I realized I'd be replacing one set of worries with another set of worries that I can't really even control (fuel quality, a bad part failing, etc.).

At 3095 lbs payload you need to be very careful. Yes, your truck could probably tow much more but you're on very shaky legal ground. Were you to have an accident and, God forbid, someone was injured, the legal ground could well turn from 'shaky' to quicksand, or worse.

Hey, so I have a lifted F-350 super duty diesel with a long bed and rear air shocks (NOT a DRW) on 35’s. I currently have a 35’ TT that I moved to Virginia Beach from San Diego with ease. I’m looking to upgrade my RV though, as we are full-timers with 3 kids and 2 dogs and the weather here just isn’t as outdoor friendly year round ?. I’m terrible with figuring out how much I can tow, and how big I can go, so can anybody help me with that? I’ve been looking at the Cyclone 4006, but I’m guessing that it might be to heavy...?
Yea that is DRW territory

I'm in a similar situation as you regarding trailer size - could you share what your real world experience is towing with the 7.3L? How often are you towing, how far, and mountains or flat?

What's your real world MPG while towing that 5er? For me, I'm less concerned about the actual fuel economy and more about the actual range since the dang gas tank is so small.

I was ready to pull the trigger on the 6.7L because I just didn't want to worry about struggling towing, having great range, etc. But the more research I did, the more I realized I'd be replacing one set of worries with another set of worries that I can't really even control (fuel quality, a bad part failing, etc.).
I live in Nevada so anywhere I 5er tow around here is up and down mountain ranges in CA, NV, AZ, UT and CO. So far i have not had any issues. The engine does its job well. I am only a weekend warrior so about once a month. If I was full time or maybe even a weekly tower, I would go diesel as the diesel engine would get its use out of me.

The biggest issue is the gas tank. I hate that its only 34 gallons. I usually go about 2 1/2 - 3 hours before refueling. I don't really mind as that is when I'm usually ready for a break anyway and not concerned about the fuel economy as well. It would be nice to have a 45-50 gallon tank though. I average between 6-8mpg when towing through the mountains depending when I hit level highway.

My destinations have been between 2 and 5 hours but I do plan on a longer tour in the NW this summer. I do see other gas trucks pulling large 5er's once in a while w/o the 7.3L, so if they can do it, this truck can definitely do it.

For me there were 2 factors....1) How often 2) How large. The 7.3L suits me just fine with my frequency of towing and if I go larger than 15K GVWR, I will go to a dually anyway.

Back