Transmission CSP 21B03 - Planetary Gear Replacement in 10 Speed

thevol

Tremoraholic
Reaction Points
Current Ride
7.3 XLT Tremor
Updated to show the Supplements. Looks like only 6.7s applicable as of now.

https://static.nhtsa.gov/odi/tsbs/2021/MC-10189752-0001.pdf

Supplement 2:

1620323085864.png

Supplement 3:

1620323114044.png

Last edited:
well guess i am getting a new trans

well guess i am getting a new trans

Yeah hopefully they will step up and replace the whole trans on low mileage trucks, doesnt sound promising if you read the document it details the tear down and repair of the planetary. Im gonna be a real kinda pissed if I already had a new trans put in and they attempt to completely disassemble and repair this trans at the dealership. Thats BS.

Yeah hopefully they will step up and replace the whole trans on low mileage trucks, doesnt sound promising if you read the document it details the tear down and repair of the planetary. Im gonna be a real kinda pissed if I already had a new trans put in and they attempt to completely disassemble and repair this trans at the dealership. Thats BS.
yea true

There is no way I'm keeping this truck, if I have to have this repair done. Ford needs to get there act together, just to many stupid problems. I had my reservations about buying the first year of the 10 speed and I guess it's coming true.

28-Feb-2019 through 10-Aug-2020

That's a BIG range.
Yea that looks to be almost every 2020 truck made. Says they are notifying by a priority system with emergency and unsold vehicles first due to parts shortage. What a nightmare for Ford. Really like this truck and its my first Ford but a replacement trans at 1500 miles and a trans teardown/repair now prob gonna have me movin on...

Since supposedly this trans was codeveloped with GM and hardware wise is supposed to be the same mechanics I wonder if they are effected as well! Anyone check to see if they are recalling as well?

They weren't even building 2020s in part of that range?

I'm glad my truck has a 9/20 build date. So far it barely escaped all recalls.

The 10 speed that was co-developed with GM is in the half tons not the Super Duty's.

Actually I think they share some common parts, I tried to do some research awhile back out of curiosity and someone had both the 10R140 and 10L1000 on a bench and they looked almost identical. There are some differences in gear ratios and other things but apparently there was some collaboration between the two, cant find much info on it though as GM wants people to think its an "Allison" when its really just the name slapped on a GM trans (which may be mostly Ford lol)

I mean I get people being mad at Ford as we want perfect trucks for what we spend, but it’s a needle bearing causing contamination. Which means it was a supplier issues for probably a bad batch of treatment. This is something that wouldn’t show up until wear. I’m pretty sure Ford does not produce bearing but I could be wrong.

I mean I get people being mad at Ford as we want perfect trucks for what we spend, but it’s a needle bearing causing contamination. Which means it was a supplier issues for probably a bad batch of treatment. This is something that wouldn’t show up until wear. I’m pretty sure Ford does not produce bearing but I could be wrong.

It says it was a distressed needle bearing so could have happened during assembly of the planetary, probably dented or gouged the surface. That puts it on Ford... Ironically I used to work as an engineer in a needle bearing factory several years ago and it would be very unlikely that all of the needle rollers were defective for this application.

My truck has really rough downshifts when it's cold and recently has been shifting really slow when hot dogging it. 2 times it also refused to upshift when giving her the beans from a roll, it just sat there pegged at 3,500 and didn't shift for like 2 solid seconds. My truck is babied in the grand scheme of things, no towing and I always let it get up to temp before driving it hard.

Mine is a 2020, build date of late september 2020 accd. to my window sticker. I took delivery on 10/31/20. Looks like, and I hope, that I've missed this recall!

It says it was a distressed needle bearing so could have happened during assembly of the planetary, probably dented or gouged the surface. That puts it on Ford... Ironically I used to work as an engineer in a needle bearing factory several years ago and it would be very unlikely that all of the needle rollers were defective for this application.
Ah I misread it. Yeah I agree that sounds more like an assembly issue. So yeah that’s on them not the supplier. I also agree that large of an amount is unlikely to be a bad batch. Would be nice to know the actual number of bad units is it 1:100 1:10,000 and are they just going for all units to avoid a major lawsuit. Could also be a major eff up on assembly setup and it did effect every unit.

10.2 hours labor paid by Ford plus the parts and fluids. That’s a significant amount of work and $$. If it were me I would slow roll getting it done if you can until your dealer -or until you can find a dealer- that has done several. I wouldn’t want to be one of the first few a tech does.

Back