Rough Country Hidden Winch Mount

Yeah that is the one I was looking at when I googled it after you mentioned it. :) Considering I'll have to pull off the fairlead mounting plate to install something like that (if not the full bumper) I'll see how it performs as is off the get go but keep that on my potential purchase list.

But good tip for anyone else reading this later and considering cable! Certainly easier to do ahead of time. ;)

Reactions: MVI
Got a hook that fits, spooled on the cable (need to do it better under tension still) so I could figure out the needed license plate offset. I put some electrical heat shrink on the steel cable where it is tensioned against the hawse so it doesn't gouge into it constantly, we'll see how that holds up. Used the magnet idea others have used to hold against the cast iron fairlead. Generally speaking this project is wrapped up. :) Tensioning the cable and picking an upfitter switch are minor (and I can just connect the remote wire the battery in the meantime as needed).

h7YCDlRl.jpg

h5CtqzOl.jpg

DtcxkeRl.jpg

update the EVO has been delivered, I set the EVO on the 4 mounting bolts loose just to make sure it was over the 4 bolt holes and it has zero play. Take a look at the pictures I will need to just file the one corner of the mounting plate for this to sit flat on the plate so if you are looking at a winch with a clutch section longer than 4.84" you will be cutting into the mounting plate the motor side has about a 1/2" of clearance so that end is all good.
So the Warn EVO 12S will work with the Rough Country mounting plate with a little filing of the one support section on the clutch side. If I am able next weekend I will be installing this so we will see if the hawse and the clutch handle play nice. Back in post #161 I was concerned with letter F and I should have been looking at letter E, LOL and yes i do have the winch sitting on the plate the correct way after second guessing myself too many times. Also note for those that haven't been following the top of the mounting plate will need to be trimmed to clear the cooler if you are using the current production running from RC and yes RC is revising the mounting plate in the near future so no cutting is needed to clear the cooler.
Is it possible to take the fancy housing off the winch like is it basically a fancy cover or is it a structural part of the winch?

I drive out on a working ranch a lot and have been stuck many times in my 3/4T 4x4, when it has been raining for days.
It is not all flat, and some of it can be 20-25deg up hill.

The 12K winch always gets me out. Problem is my current winch only has 90' of steel wire, and there are a Not a lot of Trees in some places

I carry three of these 3/8" wire extensions with me when It is wet at the ranch

• 50' extension
  • 100' extension
  • 150' extension

that is 390' of wire rope total.

For the most part, I would not worry if a winch has 75', 90', or 150' of line. Be prepared for the conditions you are headed into.
I also carry at least 2 tree straps, and 2 snatch blocks.

View attachment 127825 View attachment 127826

If I run out of shackles, I always have Hammerlocks in the truck and can connect the extensions that way.

View attachment 127824

Quoting self.

We have had 8" of rain in the last 2 weeks. Crazy. Never seen it so wet in >40 years.

Winch is a requirement for the ranch trucks

Last edited:
Just to be honest… we have a 2017 F150 and everything I have put on the truck from rough country has been complete garbage! Rust is a huge problem and materials don’t hold up! Lift, steps etc.

Just to be honest… we have a 2017 F150 and everything I have put on the truck from rough country has been complete garbage! Rust is a huge problem and materials don’t hold up! Lift, steps etc.
I sprayed down everything in fluid film as I installed it to help combat stuff like that. Plus stuff doesn’t rust too bad by me, my 2007 I sold at the beginning of the year had less rust than vehicles a few years old in the rust belt.

Is it possible to take the fancy housing off the winch like is it basically a fancy cover or is it a structural part of the winch?
I believe it is structural , see post 226 for the tie bar kit part number

I've talked to 3 different people via phone and email at Rough Country and they've all told me there is no plate that will fit the Diesel. Seems odd that some people say otherwise.

I've talked to 3 different people via phone and email at Rough Country and they've all told me there is no plate that will fit the Diesel. Seems odd that some people say otherwise.
Buy the kit, cut 5/8” off the top and send it. It will work if you have a 22 or older. I have a 22 and that’s what I did.

Buy the kit, cut 5/8” off the top and send it. It will work if you have a 22 or older. I have a 22 and that’s what I did.
Yeah that's what I'm going to do. Already ordered. There were people on this thread and other places saying RC makes a plate that fits. I would rather not modify a new kit but that looks like my only option.

Anyone order the RC bracket recently? Curious if the gas brackets are gone and the new trimmed brackets are shipping now? @cfoster

Anyone order the RC bracket recently? Curious if the gas brackets are gone and the new trimmed brackets are shipping now? @cfoster
Customer service had no idea what I was talking about when i was about to order mine, ordered it anyway and trimmed it, moved on

might be a stupid question, but how are folks trimming the plate? Do I need specialized gear or take it to a shop?

Back