Rotella t6 oil shortage ?

Just for fun I perused the motor oil aisle in an east Texas Walmart. They had plenty of motor oils to choose from. No shortage there. But oddly I didn't see a single bottle of Shell motor oil of any type or viscosity. My local Walmart here in north Texas has some Rotella T6 in stock. I'm not sure if their inventory of Shell is lower than normal, since I don't normally buy motor oil. I bring mine to a Shell Rapid Lube.

Check your local Home Depot. Yep, That’s where I found it for my Cummins. 5W-40 Rotella T6. About $23 a gallon. Just about had to park my Cummins in October. Couldn’t find DEF or oil. Oil filters and fuel filters are on backorder right now too. Guy on the Cummins forum told me to check the local HD and I found some there. Another reason I’m heading back to a gasser.

Last edited:
I did my first service yesterday at 4924 miles. The oil monitor was at 16% with 201 total hours and 60 idle (which I really don’t see how 60 is possible). I managed to find one gallon of T6 in my area. I had to settle for Motorcraft 10w30 and had to visit multiple stores just to find enough. I did see A LOT of STP 5w40 and while it claims on the label that it meets Ford’s specifications, I don’t see it on the list.

I also installed a Fumoto valve, greased the front U-joints with Red n Tacky and drained the fuel/water separator and installed an SPE plug.
I got my motorcraft 10w-30 at summit racing fairly reasonable. shipped and arrived in a couple days

I try to avoid ordering oil now days. Had some cases show up soaked in oil on the porch on more than one occasion where the containers were busted in transit.

The hoarders probably not aware that oil and other products have an "effective shelf life" (additives).....3 to 4 years with most all brands. Probably best not to stock pile too much oil, ATF, etc.
Where did you get this data from, "3 or 4 years" ??

Yea that data is wrong. Several brands make recommendations, typically 5 years however some reviews/research/reports say that’s simply marketing. I know many people that have and still do use oil that’s up to 10 yrs old that is unopened in original containers store in climate controlled areas. Not saying I would, but when they tell you to change your oil every 3,000 miles, not surprised they would say their is a shorter 1/2 life than what is actually true.

Where did you get this data from, "3 or 4 years" ??
This information is readily available on the internet. In 2016, I contacted some oil companies. They all told me the additives in unused oil breakdown over time. I could have put the range at 3 to 5 years, but most representatives said either 3 years or 4 years.

Last edited:
This information is readily available on the internet. In 2016, I contacted some oil companies. They all told me the additives in unused oil breakdown over time. I could have put the range at 3 to 5 years, but most representatives said either 3 years or 4 years.
Blackstone did a series of articles where they bought and tested oil that was 30+ years old. They went a step further and actually used it and tested it. The conclusion was there is no shelf life.

Here is one of the articles I could find: https://www.blackstone-labs.com/wp-...as-Diesel-2012-04-01-The-eBay-Oils-Part-1.pdf

Most all of the big oil companies state five years.

Well guys thank you all for the information I was able to locate 8 gallons of t6 rótela 5w40 I got lucky and found it at my local tractor supply now the oil filter I ended up going to the dealer because no one had the Motorcraft oil filter I now have enough oil for at least three or changes not including the 2 1/2 gallons that I found in my shed from my last oil change. so I should have enough stock for a while being since I only change the oil every 10,000 .

I just came back from my local Wally World. Zero Shell oil on the shelves and zero DEF (neither Supertech nor Blue DEF). There's barely any Royal Purple. But there is plenty of everything else on the shelves. Castrol, Valvoline, and Supertech are in absolute abundance.

I'm not concerned about DEF because that's what pumps are for. And as I said before, absolute worse case scenario, there's always a way around it. But the Rotella could prove interesting. I'm curious what the inventory for my oil change place is. If it comes down to it, oil is oil. It's not like my truck is going to go Chernobyl on me if I put a different brand in it.

While vacationing in FL, I was able to by 7 gallons at a couple of different Home Depot locations for $22.78 per. My wife looked at me weird when she saw I had bought 7 gallons of oil. What I found on Amazon was $100.00 per gallon.

Anyway, I am set until 20K miles, if I do the first change at 5K and 7.5K intervals afterwards which is highly likely.

Not sure why but T6 5w40 seems to be made out of "unobtainium". Went to several Advance Auto, AutoZone, Tractor Supply, Runnings, Walmart, Home Depot and Lowes and couldn't find a single gallon of it.

I decided to give Mobil1 Turbo Diesel Truck 5w40 a try. Was only able to find 5 gallons of this across all the stores I tried.

Plenty of DEF everywhere, however I prefer to get DEF at the truck stop pump anyways, much cheaper and I fill it every time. If the truck pumps run out of DEF the world (or at least the US) would come to a stop. Very few pre-emissions big trucks on the road delivering everyone's stuff...

I bought enough Rotella T6 back in September when I got the truck to do the first oil change, however I may need to consider Mobil Delvac 1 ESP if I cannot find more T6 in the future. Or, I can buy a barrel of Amsoil or something since it will be cheaper in the long run.

Sold the Ram Cummins today and now I have some Rotella Oil and DEF I need to sell. New Tremor on order is a gasser.
Going to post in the for sale section for anyone needing some oil that lives close to Charlotte NC.
I have 14 gallons of oil. I have six 2.5 gallon jugs of DEF. All sealed and bought since September when I found one or two here or there.

Gonna ask $325 for it all.

IMG_9779.jpg
IMG_9778.jpg

Back