Rookie mods weekend - Black exhaust tips, raptor lights, and Forscan

Adventure

Tremor Buff
Reaction Points
Current Ride
21 Lariat Tremor
Most here would consider these child's play I'm sure, but I took a couple big steps out of my comfort zone this weekend.

First up, black exhaust tips. I took a large garbage bag and masking tape to make myself a little "tent". Sprayed first with high temp primer, then a few coats with black high temp spray paint. There's one weird grease spot that the primer couldn't cut through, but overall it looks just fine I think. A must to match up with the rest of the black appearance package.

Next, I had ordered the Raptor Grille Lights. https://customautoworksstore.com/product/2020-super-duty-raptor-style-grille-light/. I'm sure I made the install much harder than it needed to be. The grille and the airbox don't come out easy to get at the headlight wiring, and I had trouble finding the correct wire to spice into. The owner of custom auto works includes a calling card in the instructions and he answered my texts and even called on a Saturday evening. The product is great and they're working perfectly today.

Forscan. I came close to diving into forscan for my '17 Raptor but never did it. I'm a mac user, so the struggle is real on an old borrowed laptop. Kind of confusing getting it going between the software, license key, hardware drivers, etc. But I've got it going now. Disabled some chimes, activated Bambi mode, DPF regen gauge, and played around with a few more settings working off of two google spreadsheets. I had a though of trying to get the DRL set up to be ambers only (like a gen 1 Raptor) since I added the grille lights, but I think either it's not possible or I'm not understanding the charts.

Attachments

• IMG_3920.JPG
    IMG_3920.JPG
    353.6 KB · Views: 250
  • IMG_3921.JPG
    IMG_3921.JPG
    327.3 KB · Views: 235
  • IMG_3927.JPG
    IMG_3927.JPG
    303.4 KB · Views: 234
  • IMG_3928.JPG
    IMG_3928.JPG
    316 KB · Views: 236
  • IMG_3930.JPG
    IMG_3930.JPG
    257.3 KB · Views: 224
  • IMG_3931.JPG
    IMG_3931.JPG
    403.5 KB · Views: 221
I right there with you, hard to jump in on a truck like this, but once you get a few things done it feels great. Nice work.

Most here would consider these child's play I'm sure, but I took a couple big steps out of my comfort zone this weekend.

First up, black exhaust tips. I took a large garbage bag and masking tape to make myself a little "tent". Sprayed first with high temp primer, then a few coats with black high temp spray paint. There's one weird grease spot that the primer couldn't cut through, but overall it looks just fine I think. A must to match up with the rest of the black appearance package.

Next, I had ordered the Raptor Grille Lights. https://customautoworksstore.com/product/2020-super-duty-raptor-style-grille-light/. I'm sure I made the install much harder than it needed to be. The grille and the airbox don't come out easy to get at the headlight wiring, and I had trouble finding the correct wire to spice into. The owner of custom auto works includes a calling card in the instructions and he answered my texts and even called on a Saturday evening. The product is great and they're working perfectly today.

Forscan. I came close to diving into forscan for my '17 Raptor but never did it. I'm a mac user, so the struggle is real on an old borrowed laptop. Kind of confusing getting it going between the software, license key, hardware drivers, etc. But I've got it going now. Disabled some chimes, activated Bambi mode, DPF regen gauge, and played around with a few more settings working off of two google spreadsheets. I had a though of trying to get the DRL set up to be ambers only (like a gen 1 Raptor) since I added the grille lights, but I think either it's not possible or I'm not understanding the charts.
Looks good man, I did similar with my exhaust. I didnt use that same spray and also did not prime as it recommended not to on the can. Just did notice the other day a flake though, so maybe i should of primed. ?‍♂️

Looks good man, I did similar with my exhaust. I didnt use that same spray and also did not prime as it recommended not to on the can. Just did notice the other day a flake though, so maybe i should of primed. ?‍♂️
I was going to do that same thing, but the guy at the muffler shop told me it would get too hot and flake so I have held off. How long ago did you do yours? If after a few months you are feeling good about it, maybe I will follow suit.

I was going to do that same thing, but the guy at the muffler shop told me it would get too hot and flake so I have held off. How long ago did you do yours? If after a few months you are feeling good about it, maybe I will follow suit

Im still happy with how mine looks, I did it prolly nov. its just one little spot, and its not really flaking, its just one spot. Ill touch it up and be good to go.. ill post few pics tonight of what i used and how it looks now.

WOW! Great minds think alike. I was planning to do the exact same thing to my exhaust tips with that exact same product, but a guy at a muffler shop told me it would still get too hot and flake, so I have held off. I'm interested to see if that happens to you or not.

I just ordered those exact same Raptor Grille Lights yesterday, so when they get here, maybe you could give me some advice on how to find the right wire to tie into and same me some time.

I am also a Mac guy, so I haven't looked to seriously at Forscan for that reason. I'm curious if there are any alterations that you made that I might consider a game changer, and there for take a deep dive into Forscan. Let me know your thoughts. Based on our similarities so far, you might be interested in some of the mods that I've been working on, posted here.

Nice work! I'm really impressed with the quality of the Raptor style Grille Lights, they get a ton of compliments too. I'm interested to see how well the paint holds up. Thanks for taking the time to post all the pics!

I have these grill lights as well and I have the air box removed and can’t locate the wires either. Where are they - I shot the guy and email but haven’t hear back yet. Little more of a pain install than what I was expecting.

I have these grill lights as well and I have the air box removed and can’t locate the wires either. Where are they - I shot the guy and email but haven’t hear back yet. Little more of a pain install than what I was expecting.
I have LED headlights, and there is a plug that goes into what’s like the bottom of the headlight. The brown with yellow stripe wire is in that cluster. It’s kind of hidden below the little extra plastic scoop that goes into the air box. Not much room to even get a pliers on the splice, but I have proof it’s possible. Good luck.

Holy shoot. This is tucked way under there. So you went with the yellow and brown wire... I was thinking of going with low beam but I guess it really doesn’t matter. Thanks for the help!

I did brown with small yellow stripe which I think is the parking lights / ambers. I wouldn't want them on with the low beams as then I think the standard DRL setup is low beams only and no ambers (you'd have the Raptor lights then with no other ambers).

That brown with yellow was the end wire on the clip. Made it a little easier at least.

I did brown with small yellow stripe which I think is the parking lights / ambers. I wouldn't want them on with the low beams as then I think the standard DRL setup is low beams only and no ambers (you'd have the Raptor lights then with no other ambers).

That brown with yellow was the end wire on the clip. Made it a little easier at least.
Did you ever find the orange clips they talk about for the grille removal? I didn't and ended up just pulling with success but god-awful cracking sounds. Wonder if those clips are hidden differently on the '21s but I sure couldn't find an easy way to release the grille.

Ive attached updated pics of my exhaust. also item that i used. held up rather well for winter time here in ohio i think,, ill respray it this weekend.

1610474238225.png

20210112_100658.jpg
20210112_100702.jpg
20210112_100711.jpg

I was noticing my exhaust tips today and thinking that they looked odd given my truck also has a blackout tip. Like your idea a bunch and think that I will do the same.

I was noticing my exhaust tips today and thinking that they looked odd given my truck also has a blackout tip. Like your idea a bunch and think that I will do the same.
I installed the MBRP black tip on my 7.3. The galvanized just looked like crap in my opinion. I slid it on and didn't like how it stuck out even farther, so out comes the Sawzall and I took about 3 inches off the stock pipe, slid on the tip and tightened it up.

I jumped into Forscan a few weeks ago and once you’ve strolled around the software a bit it gets easier.

Awesome job on the exhaust....I have a 7.3 gasser and the tailpipe is really ugly. I thought about cutting it back slightly and painting the pipe with a two stage high heat black paint and adding a four inch tip, but I ordered an entirely new exhaust system from headers to tips. Ugly pipe problem gone....

Great job and keep digging in on the upgrades....

MB

I jumped into Forscan a few weeks ago and once you’ve strolled around the software a bit it gets easier.

Awesome job on the exhaust....I have a 7.3 gasser and the tailpipe is really ugly. I thought about cutting it back slightly and painting the pipe with a two stage high heat black paint and adding a four inch tip, but I ordered an entirely new exhaust system from headers to tips. Ugly pipe problem gone....

Great job and keep digging in on the upgrades....

MB
we tried getting the forscan to work on my truck, and no luck. Works on buddies 20 but not my 21. Frustrating.

we tried getting the forscan to work on my truck, and no luck. Works on buddies 20 but not my 21. Frustrating.
I have a ‘21 and it works fine. Which OBD2 Scanner do you have?

Are you getting an error prompt on the laptop that says: No ECM Found (or something to that effect).

MB

I was going to do that same thing, but the guy at the muffler shop told me it would get too hot and flake so I have held off. How long ago did you do yours? If after a few months you are feeling good about it, maybe I will follow suit.
i did mine day zero of ownership and zero flaking on mine

I have a ‘21 and it works fine. Which OBD2 Scanner do you have?

Are you getting an error prompt on the laptop that says: No ECM Found (or something to that effect).

MB
I don’t know, it’s not mine it’s my buddies system.

Latest Discussions

Back