Rock Taxi

Tremoraholic
Founding Member
Reaction Points
Current Ride
2020 F350 6.7l King Ranch Tremor
Current Ride #2
2004 Jeep Wrangler LJ Unlimited
The wife and I are planning some driving trips around the US since international travel is sketchy. I am thinking I want to weld up a rack to mount in the bed pockets and put a roof top tent on top. I was wondering if anyone had experience with the various brands of tents and could offer an experienced based opinion on a roomy, comfortable, annex compatable, weatherproof tent for this? ARB, Smittybuilt, Tuff Stuff, Tepui, or others? Price/quality balance is important.

Thinking something for a late summer, early fall trip from Texas to the west. Red Rock, Pagosa Springs, Moab, Grand Tetons, etc....

Any suggestions to avoid buyers remorse?

Ed

Last edited:
I like iKamper, but they are expensive.
Set up at 10 min.

6:30 on this video:

Ed, I've been building out my truck for overloading and remote camping. When not towing the new Bruder EXP-6 (still about 5 weeks out), I will be using an RTT. I ordered the Leitner ACS Forged racks for my truck. The rack will work with my existing BuiltRIght bed racks (great product).

I like the Leitner product because you can slide the bars forward when loading cargo in the bed (my motorbike)

I am likely to add a Rhino Rack over the roof as well.

I plan to use the Tepui HyBox. For my RTT needs I think a big benefit of them is the speed of set-up, and that one is much faster that the fold-out formats you see a lot of.

Ed, I've been building out my truck for overloading and remote camping. When not towing the new Bruder EXP-6 (still about 5 weeks out), I will be using an RTT. I ordered the Leitner ACS Forged racks for my truck. The rack will work with my existing BuiltRIght bed racks (great product).

I like the Leitner product because you can slide the bars forward when loading cargo in the bed (my motorbike)

I am likely to add a Rhino Rack over the roof as well.

I plan to use the Tepui HyBox. For my RTT needs I think a big benefit of them is the speed of set-up, and that one is much faster that the fold-out formats you see a lot of.
Faster than a minute and a half?

These guys make good stuff. Brother has on turtleback (like the above post) and loves it.

No personal experience but I've been thinking seriously about either a RTT or camper from Go Fast Campers. Low profile. Light weight. Made here in Montana. Pricey but very modular in terms of accessories that can be added to it.

https://gofastcampers.com/collections/tents

I've also heard good things about Roost. Again, no personal experience. A little cheaper than GFC with a more traditional hardshell design. If you want the most space you'd have to go with a soft shell folding design or a wider hardshell like the ones James Baroud makes. I have used those. They are amazing. Well know world-wide for quality tents.

I'm currently using a Tepui RTT on my 4Runner, and my plan is to replace the setup with a Tremor and FWC Hawk truck camper.

The tent itself is good, but I think RTTs are just not for me. The setup and teardown aren't significantly faster than a normal tent, and there's no way my dogs are getting into that... the husky punched my face the first time I tried. I like the idea of the camper better because I can crash in more places and have some interior space to cook and lounge if the weather turns.

I was starting to look into the bed tents... anyone have any info/thoughts/experience on these?

My Four Wheel Camper Hawk is going on the truck tomorrow for the rest of the summer. Not a tent but kind of.... Highly recommended.

My Four Wheel Camper Hawk is going on the truck tomorrow for the rest of the summer. Not a tent but kind of.... Highly recommended.

Nice! That's the exact setup I'm looking at. You'll have to let me know what you think of the pairing.

Nice! That's the exact setup I'm looking at. You'll have to let me know what you think of the pairing.
For sure. I’ll post some photos and let you know. Hawk is coming off a Chevy and so I have to raise the camper 3 inches or so for the camper to fit. Should be ok other than looking a little funny.

Hey Panopticon,
Sorry for the delay in getting a photo over to you but happy to say the Hawk is installed and ready to rock. Fully loaded my camper is around 1400lbs and the truck doesn’t even notice it is there. I’m running the gasser 7.3 as I very rarely tow and I like the lighter front end. That said, with nearly 4000lbs of payload the truck is still feeling pretty stiff but I haven’t played with tire pressure at all yet. Let me know if you have any questions or need any real world feedback for the f350/Hawk combo!

Attachments

• 633B296A-76C6-4EAD-97E9-34755AC3948D.jpeg
    633B296A-76C6-4EAD-97E9-34755AC3948D.jpeg
    365.6 KB · Views: 73
I am also interested in RTT but have never used one or seen one in person.

My experience has been with ground tents. This was my issued shelter half. It was the luxury model with the mosquito net.
FullSizeRender-2.jpeg

For my own adventures, I bought an MSR Hubba Hubba like this one and it was outstanding.
msr-hubba-hubba-tent-review-1.jpg

I really like the idea of this RTT because of the head room and any additional air flow in Texas would be much appreciated.

Latest Discussions

Back