Roof rack for fishing kayak?

ShakeNBake

Tremor Buff
Reaction Points
Current Ride
F250 Tremor XLT, Blue Jean
Looking for a removable yet sturdy roof rack that's good for carrying one or two fishing kayaks. I don't want them permanently added, would like for them to be easily removable. Anyone have any suggestions for easy on / easy off racks?

I've seen the soft racks that lay across the roof and have a strap wrap through the cab. Not ideal, but cheap. Would prefer something sturdy and raised a bit. Also, I don't want over the bed racks, as I have a cover on.

Thanks all!

Thule, Yakima, and even Ridge Rack have options - the latter even allows for permanently mounted "backbone" for a pioneer rack. Looking to do the same. I really like the over the bed option, but looking to upgrade RV to 5th Wheel in the next year or two, so over the cab is more ideal. All three websites are showing out of stock on some of the parts needed, but the local dealers often have what you need if you're near a metroplex.

Thule, Yakima, and even Ridge Rack have options - the latter even allows for permanently mounted "backbone" for a pioneer rack. Looking to do the same. I really like the over the bed option, but looking to upgrade RV to 5th Wheel in the next year or two, so over the cab is more ideal. All three websites are showing out of stock on some of the parts needed, but the local dealers often have what you need if you're near a metroplex.

Thanks, let me know if you ever pull the trigger on one.

In my research it seems that Yakima and Thule both only offer the ancient type that clamps on the roof edge. Really? What is the point of that roof gutter with the plastic gizmo? It's beyond pathetic that something more elegant isn't available in 2021! :rolleyes:

The retrax pro bed cover has a rack system built into the sides that allow for a ton of options. But that would get costly to buy a different cover just to get to that point.

Did some more research. I had been wanting to give my hard stolen dollars to a US company but I gotta say I was less impressed with Yakima's attachment system than Thule's on an F Type.
Here's a good vid:

Thule's kayak attachments are also better than Yakima's IMHO.

BTW, if you've never looked at Point 65 (Sweden) kayaks you should. Their fishing kayaks are good and their modular Mercury GTX touring boats are amazing. One will go into the back of a Honda Fit!

The modular kayak answers my main concern about putting a traditional long assed touring kayak on my Tremor. How do you get a line from the front of the boat to the front bumper, especially if you have a factory air diverter on the hood like I do? The only way I can see is to get a big assed Buckstop bumper with a high cattle catcher.

Last edited:
Did some more research. I had been wanting to give my hard stolen dollars to a US company but I gotta say I was less impressed with Yakima's attachment system than Thule's on an F Type.
Here's a good vid:

BTW, if you've never looked at Point 65 (Sweden) kayaks you should. Their fishing kayaks are good and their modular Mercury GTX touring boats are amazing. One will go into the back of a Honda Fit!

The modular kayak answers my main concern about putting a traditional long assed touring kayak on my Tremor. How do you get a line from the front of the boat to the front bumper, especially if you have a factory air diverter on the hood like I do? The only way I can see is to get a big assed Buckstop bumper with a high cattle catcher.

bro, thanks, I'd been looking for a video that did a good job installing these. That was awesome. Now I'll need to figure out all the parts that are needed to do what I'm looking for - the feet, locks, wingbars and a roof rack, maybe even the kayak braces.

I worked for Ocean Kayak for years, ran the factory store, and loaded hundreds, if not thousands, of kayaks on cars and trucks.

Yakima or Thule will both do great. I’ve always been a Yakima guy myself, and their warranty and customer service are second to none.

Here's a good vid:

I tried asking e-trailer about the video and what exactly I'd need for the Thule system to fit on my F250. Their "expert" responded, but didn't even mention Thule. Based on his response, he didn't know anything about the Thule system or just didn't want to answer my question. I replied again asking specifically about the product in the video and have yet to hear back.

I just don't want a permanent system due to the wind noise, and the fact that I'll only use it a couple of times per year. I'll just keep looking.

If you're only gonna use it a couple of times a year anything will work. Watch a vid of Thule's 'Hullavator' system and you'll want to go more often just to use it. It's one thing to put a 50-70 pound kayak on top of a Subie. It's a whole nuther thang to get it 7' up on a Tremor!

If you're only gonna use it a couple of times a year anything will work. Watch a vid of Thule's 'Hullavator' system and you'll want to go more often just to use it. It's one thing to put a 50-70 pound kayak on top of a Subie. It's a whole nuther thang to get it 7' up on a Tremor!

Very cool. And yeah I was thinking about how I was going to do it. Put padding down and slide it up the back of the cab was the plan.

In my research it seems that Yakima and Thule both only offer the ancient type that clamps on the roof edge. Really? What is the point of that roof gutter with the plastic gizmo? It's beyond pathetic that something more elegant isn't available in 2021! :rolleyes:
It works. If it ain't broke don't fix it.

Yakima racks are great. Highly recommend.

Regarding a 2020 F250, info from e-Trailer on some of the options:

A roof rack consists of the crossbar or platform, the feet that attach to the crossbar and the kit that connects the crossbar and feet to your roof. There are a couple different ways of getting this done. For Thule, You can get the Wingbar Evo Crossbars # TH711500, Evo Clamp Feet # TH710501 and this custom fit kit # TH5271.
no link for the TH5271 fit kit was provided

For Yakima, you can get the Yakima HD Crossbars # Y01158 and connect them to the BaseLine Towers # Y00146 using the HD Bar SL Adapter Y03541. This is the fully assembled roof rack but you'll need the BaseClip Fit Kit # Y06185 to secure the rack to your 2020 Ford F250's roof. This is all you need to get a roof rack on your truck and I've included a video of me installing this on a 2020 Ram which it's the same install process for your F250.
no link for the Y03541 adapter was provided

If you're wanting to put a platform on your roof, you can mount the platform directly to your roof which utilize the factory mounting locations under the thin black strip on each side of your roof.

To do that, you'll need the Rhino Rack Platform and the Backbone system # JB0733. Basically, you'll take the strips off and install the backbone system to the mounting points under the strip, then the Platform will attach to the top of that. That's a pretty simple parts list because all you need is included with this kit # JB0733.

These are the two types of roof racks you can get on top of your roof. I think the platform with the backbone system looks the best and enables you to do more with your roof.

Thule and Yakima are good options, but Rhino Rack is just as good of an option as Thule and Yakima. Rhino Rack is what I would go for for sure!

I was considering the Thule originally, but after seeing that the Yakima HD bars have a higher weight capacity I may go with Yakima instead. The Rhino looks like the best option, but I think I like the removability of the clamp on racks.

Last edited:
Thule says 165 lbs which I gotta believe is conservative. I won't worry about putting 140 lbs of kayaks up there. Getting them up there on a Tremor is a much bigger concern to me which Thule's Hullavator answers brilliantly.

My biggest concern is rigging a front guy line. The only solution I see is getting a Buckstop or other front bumper with a bar high enough to clear my hood deflector. A front guy line is probably unnecessary but I've hauled a lot of kayaks so color me paranoid. All of those were with caveman racks but ...

Thule says 165 lbs which I gotta believe is conservative. I won't worry about putting 140 lbs of kayaks up there. Getting them up there on a Tremor is a much bigger concern to me which Thule's Hullavator answers brilliantly.

My biggest concern is rigging a front guy line. The only solution I see is getting a Bucks top or other front bumper with a bar high enough to clear my hood deflector. A front guy line is probably unnecessary but I've hauled a lot of kayaks so color me paranoid. All of those were with caveman racks but ...

Good point

What about the straps that either fasten (or secured by a wide base) under the hood and the straps come out either side of the hood when closed? They seem like they'd work since most of the securing would be handled by the bars.

Dunno bout under da hood straps. I live close to da hood -
I'll look into it! Thanks!
They look something like this. Just an example, not endorsing this link, just the first one that came up. I think Rhino makes one that bolts under the hood. These types can go on the sides or even the front of the hood. Only concern would be it wearing on the paint if used often - which won't be a problem for me.

This reminds me of my first trip down the St. Croix with a 14' kayak strapped to the top of a Gen 1 Raptor. We wrapped the hood with PPF just so the front tie down wouldn't scratch the paint. What a PITA.

Here's what I'd do...

https://shop.agricover.com/product/adaracalupro

Add the underbar cleat on the front cross bar, tie the bows back to that and then the sterns to the hitch. Then tie them down to each cross bar.

Really depends on your need for the hitch... if you're pulling something on the hitch and the the rear clearance, this is a no-go.

Loading will always be a pain due to the height.

Just added an Adarac pro aluminum to haul two kayaks. Looks good and easy to remove.

20210612_154239.jpg

Back