Rodent troubles!

Mice ate my '15 Tacoma's soy wiring harness to the tune of a $9k insurance bill. When I had to park my Tremor in the same location for a few months, I pulled out all the stops.

---

spray peppermint in engine bay on soy wiring, and underneath vehicle on wires, etc.

zip tie ultrasonic blinker thing near wiring harness

put snakes under parked vehicle

put peppermint bags around (these went in my camper)

We had a problem once...put bait stations in the corners of the garage and refill them once a quarter...no issues since.
Agree with this! Same thing plus a spring and sticky trap made us go from catching a mouse a week to a mouse a year! They got my Porsche and wiring in my house, nests in every vehicle cabin air filter. It was war! Now we have bait stations on every outside wall of our house and garage. Inside we have a couple spring traps and sticky traps that rarely catch anything anymore.

Just picked up the truck from local dealer for check engine light being on. P0455 and P0457 fuel vapor issue. Its under warranty so why not take it in! Freaking rodent damage to the fuel vapor line. Anyone have advice on how to keep rodents off the property? 1700.00 later I could kill every rat or rodent I see. Dealer provided pictures of damage and I agree it must have been some type of animal.
I watched a video that said Ford is using Soy based products in wiring and other areas for environmental reasons, this will certainly attract more rodents to your vehicle. I plan to ramp up my rodent measures to keep them out of my truck. There are some traps that electrocute vs. poison. Lots of owls and eagles where I live, so I want to stay away from poison.

Was just talking to a friend of mine. His brand knew Duramax started acting up turns out a pack rat has been snacking on his wiring going through insurance its crazy but they are talking about a full write off due to the amount of damage the rat did.

The rodents climb the tires to get into the engine bay. My friend lives in the mountains here in CO, parks outside, and had his Duramax's wiring eaten twice by chipmunks. He hasn't had a problem since placing electric mouse traps on top of his front tires at night.

Who knew insulating wires with food would turn out to be a bad idea... Had mice build a home in my Tundra when it had less than 2000 miles on it. Luckily the damage was minimal, and insurance covered it under comprehensive. I took small golf ball sized wiffle balls, cut them open and stuffed cotton balls inside, then hung them in various spots in the engine bay and periodically soak the cotton in peppermint oil. I put a little peppermint directly on the high traffic areas as well, battery, engine cover, etc. Hasn't totally kept them out, but they don't seem to stay long which I guess is what is important. Smells nice too. I considered some of the sprays, but many use vinegar which I wasn't too keen on spraying all over the engine, others I was concerned about ending up with a foul odor (those that use cat urine).

Who knew insulating wires with food would turn out to be a bad idea... Had mice build a home in my Tundra when it had less than 2000 miles on it. Luckily the damage was minimal, and insurance covered it under comprehensive. I took small golf ball sized wiffle balls, cut them open and stuffed cotton balls inside, then hung them in various spots in the engine bay and periodically soak the cotton in peppermint oil. I put a little peppermint directly on the high traffic areas as well, battery, engine cover, etc. Hasn't totally kept them out, but they don't seem to stay long which I guess is what is important. Smells nice too. I considered some of the sprays, but many use vinegar which I wasn't too keen on spraying all over the engine, others I was concerned about ending up with a foul odor (those that use cat urine).
Another use for DEF!!! Yay

Tried the mint thing, hasn't worked for me. Tried rat traps with a variety of baits, Nothing worked until I used peanut butter. Got 8 rats and 2 mice in 2 weeks, haven’t seen em back. You’d think the smell of death would deter them, but they kept coming back to the same trap each night. When I had engine compartment mice, I put a baited rat trap on the inside of each wheel (that’s where they normally climb up), no more mice in the engine bay. It’s just a pain to set/remove them every day. And I would use jaw type rat traps, not the smaller mice traps.

Tried the mint thing, hasn't worked for me. Tried rat traps with a variety of baits, Nothing worked until I used peanut butter. Got 8 rats and 2 mice in 2 weeks, haven’t seen em back. You’d think the smell of death would deter them, but they kept coming back to the same trap each night. When I had engine compartment mice, I put a baited rat trap on the inside of each wheel (that’s where they normally climb up), no more mice in the engine bay. It’s just a pain to set/remove them every day. And I would use jaw type rat traps, not the smaller mice traps.
Mice will cannibalize each other when left in traps. I use Liquid Fence on my flowers to keep the deer from eating them, who'd have thought it would keep the mice out of my tractors and other machines too. I spray the engine areas after use. I haven't used it on any trucks yet though. The mice do get in a truck from time to time, but not often. I had one store nuts inside the hood. I put about 30 mouse bait stations from DIY Pest Control around the perimeter of my home, and that keeps almost all of the mice killed off, but I have to re-bait the boxes 3-4 times a year. I have had squirrels make a nest under hoods before and one brought it's babies, which all got cooked. They ate some wiring

Back