Rodent troubles!

kenbidwell

@RPMKen
Reaction Points
Military
Not military but I do work for the VA Hospital giving Anesthesia.
Current Ride
2020 F250 XLT Tremor
Current Ride #2
2015 Mustang GT
Just picked up the truck from local dealer for check engine light being on. P0455 and P0457 fuel vapor issue. Its under warranty so why not take it in! Freaking rodent damage to the fuel vapor line. Anyone have advice on how to keep rodents off the property? 1700.00 later I could kill every rat or rodent I see. Dealer provided pictures of damage and I agree it must have been some type of animal.

Attachments

• IMG_2530.jpg
    IMG_2530.jpg
    38.6 KB · Views: 262
  • IMG_2529.jpg
    IMG_2529.jpg
    42 KB · Views: 230
We store our inventory off premises in a field....Was a huge problem. Had to hire pest control not so bad now. Still get one once in a while. I don't have any issues at home but I make sure I get it moved around every few days

Might have been a rabbit. I think I heard or read somewhere that some of the wiring and tubes and what not have been made using soybeans and animals like to eat them. 🤷

Just picked up the truck from local dealer for check engine light being on. P0455 and P0457 fuel vapor issue. Its under warranty so why not take it in! Freaking rodent damage to the fuel vapor line. Anyone have advice on how to keep rodents off the property? 1700.00 later I could kill every rat or rodent I see. Dealer provided pictures of damage and I agree it must have been some type of animal.
You just paid cash? or did you try insurance?

You just paid cash? or did you try insurance?
I filed a claim with my insurance company but have not heard back from them. A close friend is a USAA claims adjuster and she said it would be covered with them but I have State Farm so we will see.

I used to get mice in my attic, and could hear digging inside the wall behind my headboard late at night. The cat would go bananas climbing over my head at 2am trying to figure it out. No more since I put about 40 of these around the perimeter of my house to keep the mice population in check. Use two different baits and renew the bait three times a year, throwing the old bait in and under my shed. Was told by a pest control guy they'll store one bait and eat the other. Still get a mouse once in a while in an engine well, but there are a lot fewer mice around, and none in the house. I spray liquid deer fence on my tractor frame and engine, and that seems to keep them out of my tractor. I've heard peppermint oil mixed with water in a sprayer is a good deterrent for engines, but never tried it.

Mint spray seems to keep them out of the engine bay but you have to spray it often. Cats are a big help but the rat problem here is So Cal is beyond out of control right now for many government created reasons. I had to avoid poison due to not wanting to hurt the local coyotes.

To address it this little girl is coming to live with us. She's almost done with her training.

20210904_142428.jpg

I wanted to rain death on the little bastards so I went and found a place that breads Rat Terriers as working dogs and not house pets. We'll see how she does.

Might have been a rabbit. I think I heard or read somewhere that some of the wiring and tubes and what not have been made using soybeans and animals like to eat them. 🤷
Aye, beware the Killer Rabbit of Caerbannog.

Rodent control with the Holy Hand Grenade of Antioch.

Last edited by a moderator:
My chickens hang out around my driveway area and chase away all the damn chipmunks we have. It doesn't work for nocturnal critters, but luckily I have not had any issues after-dark. Prior to owning the chickens, the chippies were all up inside every vehicle that was not used daily. They love to gnaw at the wires and other things.

My chickens hang out around my driveway area and chase away all the damn chipmunks we have. It doesn't work for nocturnal critters, but luckily I have not had any issues after-dark. Prior to owning the chickens, the chippies were all up inside every vehicle that was not used daily. They love to gnaw at the wires and other things.
Just some background, my 1st Gen chickens were all killed by bears... my first rooster "Cluck Norris" bit the dust. My new rooster is "Son of Cluck", luckily I saved some fertile eggs and was able to incubate the 2nd Gen chickens (only 1 rooster, 2 hens) which are now protecting my vehicles! They should be safe until next Spring until the bears come out of hibernation hungry again.

Wow do I hate rats and mice! I keep Havahart live traps set for rats all the time. I usually use fresh apple for bait, they love it. I trap a couple dozen a year, drown them in a barrel, and leave them for the foxes in the woods. I also use good ole victor traps for rats and mice. Have to keep them set all the time. I use puffy Cheetos chunks for mouse bait on the victor traps.
I also use bucket traps, with a baited teter, hinged at the bucket rim, they try to get to the bait and fall into the water.
We also make scent swabs with concentrated peppermint oil, and keep them in the vehicles under the hood, seems to help.
Every few months I go into the henhouse with a 357 loaded with .38 shot shells and a flashlight. In a good session I'll get 4-6. Nothing like shooting rats on the run with the 357! Very satisfying. 😄
Also helps if you drive the vehicle frequently.

Shred Irish springs soap and spread it around.

Back