Road trips with guns / rifles

Hunterman

Tremor Fanatic
Reaction Points
Current Ride
Chevy 2500JD
I’m heading out for a long road trip and will be staying in a few hotels and camping. If I’m in a hotel and can’t get a big gun case into the hotel for whatever reason where would you guys store it? I have a tool box in the bed of the truck that I could pack a rifle or 2 in or the under seat box that could store it and I can lock the seat down so it isn’t easily accessible. I know both of these options are not fool proof but what would you do? I can break down an AR and stick it in my suitcase that’s not a big deal but I also will have a couple bolt action rifles. I hate leaving guns in my truck in random hotel parking lots but I might have no choice if I can’t sneak them into my room

I’m heading out for a long road trip and will be staying in a few hotels and camping. If I’m in a hotel and can’t get a big gun case into the hotel for whatever reason where would you guys store it? I have a tool box in the bed of the truck that I could pack a rifle or 2 in or the under seat box that could store it and I can lock the seat down so it isn’t easily accessible. I know both of these options are not fool proof but what would you do? I can break down an AR and stick it in my suitcase that’s not a big deal but I also will have a couple bolt action rifles. I hate leaving guns in my truck in random hotel parking lots but I might have no choice if I can’t sneak them into my room
Why would you have to "sneak" them in? They are legal to have in possession.

Perfect timing as I’m packing up for a long weekend at the ranch. My long guns are always in a hard case and if I need to spend a night somewhere, the case comes with me. Having a sturdy handle and wheels make it too easy. I like the pelican cases mostly because I get a good discount on them through ExpertVoice.
IMG_4014.jpeg
IMG_4013.jpeg

I have a Pelican with wheels. I just roll mine into the hotel like a suitcase. I am not leaving my rifle in the truck.

You should have no issue taking them into a hotel. Do not leave anything in your truck at a hotel, you are asking to get robbed. I’m in Alberta now on a black bear hunt and no issue at either hotel in the US or Canada with dragging all our gear through the lobbies.

I just pay extra for a nicer hotel in a better section of town...I have hunted out west last 5yrs in row...never taken rifle out of the truck when i stop over for the night, I also try to park next to a Mercedes or BMW...never had an issue. YMMV

I’ve used a golf club case before for the not so friendly hotels. Just rolled them in and kept it with me the whole time.

For many years we would fly to Chicago to participate in a Sporting Clays event for a charity our sister company organized. Yes, it was a work trip.

There was always something fun about dragging the shotguns through O'Hare. We always brought them into the hotel with us when we weren't out at the event. Never had an issue .. although I will say we got more looks leaving the hotel (for the event) carrying the soft cases, than we did coming in with the hardcases.

IMG_3179.JPG

Not a chance I would leave a firearm in my vehicle at a hotel. Nothing of value gets left in the rig. It sucks to pack everything in to the room for just one night, but I know where it will be in the morning.

Back