Ride quality...get your thoughts?

clemsondds

Tremor Buff
Reaction Points
Current Ride
raptor
Hey everyone, looking to possibly get a '24 tremor but am concerned about ride quality. I'm coming from a gen 2 raptor. I pull my boat a couple times a month for about 100 miles. The boat is around 6k lbs. The raptor does ok with it but thought about getting a SD so I don't really notice the boat being back there. But the rest of the time I'll be using the truck as my daily. Anyone come from a raptor? Just curious how the tremor will handle around town and all. Is it a rough ride when not towing/hauling anything? Also, is there quite a bit of lean in corners? Thanks everyone!

Every other thread on this forum is about gas mileage or ride quality. It's an HD truck, both are going to be poor.

I currently have a '22 F-350 Tremor Diesel and a '19 Gen 2 Raptor. The Raptor rides like a Cadillac, and I can mob all over town and not think twice.

The Super Duty "feels" much bigger, and rides like a stagecoach. I find myself watching for potholes, slowing down to cross train tracks, etc. The Raptor I just sent it and didn't think twice.

If that's all the more towing you do, I would skip the SD.

I went from an 18 raptor to a 20 tremor, then to a 23 tremor. The Raptor has a very soft suspension and rides very well. That is exactly why it doesn't tow very well. The tremor is a super duty and it will ride like a super duty. It feels like a larger truck, but for a 3/4 ton I have no complaints about the ride on my 23. The ride seems to have been improved from the 20 slightly. I am also leveled on 37s and as long as the road is smooth, it rides like a cadillac.

geez i guess i have a different perspective, my raptor was about as close to a cadillad as the f250 is a vette. it was definitely softer in a floaty sense, but with shitty roads and pot holes and speed bumps and things like that, it felt just like any other truck, not good. accord and highlander both much softer, which when i see people talk about raptor being like cadillac that's what i think they mean, and it was never ever like that. i prefer the f250 ride, it's firmer but where i drive if feels better. still hits the pot holes and speed bumps and shitty roads as harsh, maybe slightly less so. and i bottomed out rear with 23' boat, had to add airbags. 250 tows it like it's nothing. i prefer ride overall of 250.

Run 17" wheels and 35" tires....air down to 55PSI all around. That SD rides CHANGES faster than Cinderellas pumpkin after midnight. You would be amazed at the change in the ride when you drop as little as 5PSI on all 4 corners. Yes, you might find yourself chasing that rabbit but there's solutions which are not costly. Lean in the corners is an easy fix with Hellwig bars front and back.

I've been a long time SD 3/4 ton or 1 ton pickup owner (since 2000). Went from a short bed to only buying long beds.
I will say this:
I never worry if the new flat screen will fit in the bed.
I never worry about the new furniture my spouse "needs" to buy will fit in the bed.
I never worry about the trailer I need to tow.
I never worry about loading plywood or lumber in the bed
I never worry about how much river rock is getting loaded in the bed.
I never worry about how much sod is on a pallet.
I never worry about MPGs, especially when towing.
I never worry about having to fuel up every 400 miles when driving 14+ hours one way.
I never worry about heading to the dump with all the trash that needs to go.
I never worry about parking spaces cause I learned how to whip this monster in/out/backing up faster than most.

Honestly....just buy it. Tremor or whatever trim, short bed or long bed. Just use it and enjoy it.

I actually love the ride quality of my 350 Tremor. It’s tight, may be tougher than other trucks (F150, Ranger, etc) but that’s what I was after. It’s a cruise mobile on the interstate, tows whatever I want, and if I air down offroad, I don’t find it stiffer than my built JL Rubicon was.

I'm thinking a F150 Tremor would serve your needs better ..

my 2022 F350 diesel with 18" Michelin Defender LTX @ 65f/60r psi with factory suspension is very smooth. I net an average 23 MPG over several thousand Rocky Mountain highway KM's (Canada) this last month while empty, same trip towing ~4000lbs i was getting between 19 and 20 MPG over the same distance / roads. These are slower speed 90-130 km/h while going up and over at least four distinct mountain ranges.

1691771350260.png

Great recommendation. People should avoid a Super Duty if they’re only going to fear or complain about the ride.

Around town I'm fine with how the SD Tremor handles. But I like more of an engaging driving experience. On dirt, it sucks. I've spent a lot of money getting it to feel like about 10% of what a Raptor feels like. If you are wanting something new, I'd get a new Raptor 37. Those things are badass. They tow too. Just a little extra sag.

The Super Duty "feels" much bigger, and rides like a stagecoach.
While my 350 Tremor does ride a bit worse than other vehicles I've had in the past as well as my current expedition, it's not as bad as people make it out to be. If you've ever actually ridden in a stagecoach, it rides nothing like that . . . I'm sure the above was an exaggeration for effect, but IMO it's unnecessarily harsh and untrue. Unless the road is terrible / riddled with potholes and such, I honestly don't notice much of a difference driving it vs other vehicles while I'm simply focusing on driving. Now if I was trying to spot the differences, sure they are there, but I don't actively notice much difference unless the road is terrible.

While my 350 Tremor does ride a bit worse than other vehicles I've had in the past as well as my current expedition, it's not as bad as people make it out to be. If you've ever actually ridden in a stagecoach, it rides nothing like that . . . I'm sure the above was an exaggeration for effect, but IMO it's unnecessarily harsh and untrue. Unless the road is terrible / riddled with potholes and such, I honestly don't notice much of a difference driving it vs other vehicles while I'm simply focusing on driving. Now if I was trying to spot the differences, sure they are there, but I don't actively notice much difference unless the road is terrible.
You can think what you want, and I can think what I want.

If you think an HD truck rides nice, you are kidding yourself.

Last edited:
You can think what you want, and I can think what you want.

If you think an HD truck rides nice, you are kidding yourself.

huge age difference, but roads i drive, 22 sd rides better than 11 raptor. may not be the same for others in the same vehicle, but i doubt they drive the same roads the same way. also, at the end of the day, it's a lot of preference.

I didn't come from a Raptor, but my two vehicles before my 20 350 were:
2014 JKU Rubicon on 37's with AEV lift that was my off-road explorer and DD. Decided we wanted a trailer for the fam and away it went.
2019 F150 with tow package (laugh) that I added Bilsteins, air-bags and changed to E rated tires to try and make it work, nope, so away it went.

Ordered my 20 F350 Tremor in Aug 20 and it arrived in Nov 20. Rolling straight out of the dealership, it road the same as my F150 on the E-rated tires. It is my DD and I towed a 7500-8000 pd trailer a couple times a month during the summer. One of my OEM shocks was toast at 11k miles and I replaced all four corners with Bilstein 5100's. Would run the OEM Duratracs at 50 ft and 65 r as it was as low as I could go with setting off the TPMS light. IMO, it road better than my F150 this way. Have since replaced the tires with Mickey Thompson Baja ATs, used Forscan to adjust tire pressure settings and run 50 f/r. I enjoy driving my truck and have no issues with potholes or speed bumps. Just point and go.

Will it be as smooth as your Raptor, no way in hell, but it isn't bad and it is a 1-ton truck designed to work, with a little play capabilities.

Erik

Hey everyone, looking to possibly get a '24 tremor but am concerned about ride quality. I'm coming from a gen 2 raptor. I pull my boat a couple times a month for about 100 miles. The boat is around 6k lbs. The raptor does ok with it but thought about getting a SD so I don't really notice the boat being back there. But the rest of the time I'll be using the truck as my daily. Anyone come from a raptor? Just curious how the tremor will handle around town and all. Is it a rough ride when not towing/hauling anything? Also, is there quite a bit of lean in corners? Thanks everyone!
Important bit of data: how long and heavy is your boat?

A 10’ aluminum dingy is very different than a 40’ yacht, and will elicit very different recommendations.

Important bit of data: how long and heavy is your boat?

A 10’ aluminum dingy is very different than a 40’ yacht, and will elicit very different recommendations.
Sorry, I mentioned it was 6k lbs but didn't give length...22ft.

I skimmed through the responses but you would be better off getting an FX4 Super Duty and then throwing the Carli suspension book at it. It doesn’t seem like you’ll utilize what the tremor offers and it will come at a premium price. If you’re worried about resale I understand why a tremor.

Is it a rough ride when not towing/hauling anything?
As others have said, I find the ride quality pretty good with 50psi at all four corners (OEM rims/tires). Huge difference over the placard pressures for max load. I'm not going to tell you that it is the same as an F150 (I came from 5 F150s before getting this SD), but both my wife and I find it to be fine. She prefers we take the truck on trips even if we aren't towing the camper - to me that says a lot. If it was a rough, uncomfortable ride she would be the first to say so. When you have a load in the rear it helps quite a bit as well. Some have added some ballast to the bed to help improve the ride quality further. There are several threads on that particular topic...

I have no interest in going back to an F150 after having this truck for almost 2 years ('22 Lariat Tremor).

Full disclosure, I retired last year so no need for a "commuter" vehicle any longer.

Very hard to achieve a "Cadillac ride" and tow well, as they both require opposite things. You want the rear suspension as stiff as possible for towing, but a stiff rear suspension will not handle well unloaded. The raptor suspension is more similar to a car then a heavy duty truck, which is why they handle so well.

I daily drive mine with no complaints or issues. Ive also spend a lot of time driving heavy duty trucks and commercial trucks so I'm used to how "big trucks" handle. You'll certainly feel bumps more, but its no where near "uncomfortable" imo. People who haven't driven a straight front axle truck typically take a bit to get used to its "different" handling characteristics.

I added airbags to mine and a rear swaybar to further improve towing handling. I regularly pull around a bumper pull right around 15k lbs, sometimes I forget its even back there.

I'm thinking a F150 Tremor would serve your needs better ..

This. Neither the Raptor nor the Super Duty Tremor are ideal for the stated use case. Daily driving and towing a 6k boat once in a while is what a half-ton is tuned to do. You'll be as disappointed in the ride quality of the SD-Tremor as you are the towing capability of the Raptor.

Back