Ride quality control

You don't happen to have the part numbers for the deavers and the bags?
Thanks
Here are the parts I bought.

Progressive Deaver Add-a-Packs from Carli:
Deaver Add-a-Packs

Air Lift Ultimate 5000 with internal Jounce Bumpers:
Air Lift Airbags

Air Lift WirelessOne Controller:
Air Lift Controller

Daystar Cradles for under the airbags:
Daystar

I really like the add-a-pack route. I looked on Deaver's website but the only item I saw listed also provides added lift in the rear, which I would not want. Maybe that does not consider the replacement of the factory block? I was going to call them and speak directly with someone but haven't had the time.

You remove the 3.5” blocks, so the Add-a-Packs have to raise the rear to at least the same height. I added a 1” PMF block under my Add-a-Packs to give me an extra 1” of rake when empty. (total of 1 3/4” rake). The truck sags 1” when towing for maximum comfort while keeping 3/4” of rake to avoid headlights pointing into the sky at night.

This is towing my 36’ 9500 lb TT with 1350 lb TW and 3-400 lbs in the bed. I am also using a Blue Ox WDH with 1500 lb spring bars.

D812F3B0-B838-40EE-8B5E-33942B3DD07E.jpeg

Last edited:

Deaver Add-a-Packs

Air Lift Airbags

Air Lift Controller

Daystar

You remove the 3.5” blocks, so the Add-a-Packs have to raise the rear to at least the same height. I added a 1” PMF block under my Add-a-Packs to give me an extra 1” of rake when empty. (total of 1 3/4” rake). The truck sags 1” when towing for maximum comfort while keeping 3/4” of rake to avoid headlights pointing into the sky at night.
Perfect thanks for the information 👍
Your truck looks awesome 👌

Last edited:

Deaver Add-a-Packs

Air Lift Airbags

Air Lift Controller

Daystar

This is towing my 36’ 9500 lb TT with 1350 lb TW and 3-400 lbs in the bed. I am also using a Blue Ox WDH with 1500 lb spring bars.

View attachment 35906
Agree, great looking setup @Tx-Tremor6.7

Thanks for reiterating your setup - it is starting to sink in! It now makes sense to me to start out a bit higher unloaded. The add-a-packs provide the static height/spacing of the block, but will compress to give you compliance. For any given load the rear of the truck will be lower with this setup vs. the factory 3.5" block. So adding the extra 1" helps to make up for it...

You remove the 3.5” blocks, so the Add-a-Packs have to raise the rear to at least the same height.
Alternatively, I've read you can achieve a level (as opposed to lifting the front .75-1.25") by just doing the add-a-pack without an extra block. But yeah, you end up squatty when you tow.

Their webpage isn’t very straight forward. It looks like it may be the SA-06F. I’ll reach out to them to clarify.

Hey guys, these are the ones that fit perfectly, same price and shipping as buying direct from the company:
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07SQH5FHT?psc=1&ref=ppx_yo2_dt_b_product_details
Edit - factory page: https://www.sulastic.com/en/sa-06hdf-sulastic-shackle-for-rear-axle-sa-06hdf

They list SA-06F for F250 and SA-06HDF for F350. I am assuming that all Tremors would use the latter, as @RedZilla listed, due to the commonality in the rear leafs vs. the standard F250.

Agree, great looking setup @Tx-Tremor6.7

Thanks for reiterating your setup - it is starting to sink in! It now makes sense to me to start out a bit higher unloaded. The add-a-packs provide the static height/spacing of the block, but will compress to give you compliance. For any given load the rear of the truck will be lower with this setup vs. the factory 3.5" block. So adding the extra 1" helps to make up for it...

Not exactly. My setup has the same load carrying capacity of any Tremor or F350 SRW SD truck that Ford sells. I did not remove any of the F350 leaf springs, and the blocks have no weight carrying capacity. The blocks simply raise the rear of the truck by the height of the block. All F350s will sag the same as mine when loaded with the same weight.

My truck also has a front coil lift to "level" it and allow me to run 37s with only minor trimming. I did not want to level mine, and the 3/4" rake provided by the Carli front coils and Add-a-Packs was not enough for me, so I added an additional 1" block to give me more rake when empty. This extra 1" allows the truck to sag while towing to provide a more compliant ride. I could have used my airbags to control the rear height without the 1" block, but riding on firm airbags does not provide a comfortable ride for your passengers.

Alternatively, I've read you can achieve a level (as opposed to lifting the front .75-1.25") by just doing the add-a-pack without an extra block. But yeah, you end up squatty when you tow.
The whole purpose of the Add-a-Packs is to maintain 100% of the factory load carrying capacity of your truck. They replace the factory block, but also raise the rear by about 3/4" over the factory height. They work great in combination with a front coil lift, but I would not run them as a standalone option on a Tremor unless you want your truck to have over 4" of rake.

On your last point, the only option that is more squatty is the Deaver Full Progressive leaf springs, as they replace the factory 1-ton leafs with much thinner ones. You will absolutely need airbags if you plan to tow heavy with the Full Progressive leafs as they reduce your carrying capacity to 75% of the factory weight according to Deaver and Carli.

They list SA-06F for F250 and SA-06HDF for F350. I am assuming that all Tremors would use the latter, as @RedZilla listed, due to the commonality in the rear leafs vs. the standard F250.
Based on the overwhelming consensus that both Tremor packages have the exact same suspension/frame setup, you would be correct that the SA-06HDF will work with the 250 just the same.

Not exactly. My setup has the same load carrying capacity of any Tremor or F350 SRW SD truck that Ford sells. I did not remove any of the F350 leaf springs, and the blocks have no weight carrying capacity. The blocks simply raise the rear of the truck by the height of the block

Yes totally agree and understand this.

All F350s will sag the same as mine when loaded with the same weight.

I do not understand this... I assume the Deavers have a lower spring rate than the factory leafs or else they would not provide any benefit for compliance. I made a simple graphic to illustrate how I think this works. What I don't know is how much displacement before the Deavers are effectively bypassed and the system is governed by the OEM pack again? Maybe that distance is really small - not the 2" in my example but 1", .5", .25"?? It seems like there would be some nominal displacement though... I also could not find info on the factory leaf spring rate so I just used fictitious values:

1633609373494.png

The whole purpose of the Add-a-Packs is to maintain 100% of the factory load carrying capacity of your truck. They replace the factory block, but also raise the rear by about 3/4" over the factory height.

Yes, I think I am on the same page here too... Maybe it is the 3/4" extra height that offsets the spring rate? So for a given load a truck with the add-a-packs and a factory 350 will sag to the same position, but the add-a-pack truck starts out 3/4" higher statically. That makes sense to me.

I appreciate your time to answer questions about your setup - I am not trying to be combative, just want to make sure I have a good understanding so I can make the right choice between this route vs. the Sulastic Shackles.

Thanks!!

Hard to imagine that adding more springs to an already stiff pack would do anything else besides increase the effective spring rate. Which is the exact opposite of what you'd want for unladen ride quality.

Hard to imagine that adding more springs to an already stiff pack would do anything else besides increase the effective spring rate. Which is the exact opposite of what you'd want for unladen ride quality.
I am by no means a suspension expert but changing my springs on my Rzr made a huge difference by going to dual rate. It has a softer spring that absorbs the smaller bumps, but once compressed the stiffer spring will compress after.

Wouldn't this be similar?

Last edited:
Wouldn't this be similar?

I believe so. I am open to explanation if I am wrong, but I can't make sense of how it would translate into a ride improvement if it increased the effective spring rate.

Another vote for a sulastic group buy.

I spent some time with the owners of Sulastic Rubber Springs yesterday.
Mentioned the site and explained what group buys were.
Sent a PM to Modified a few minutes ago with their email address.

Okay, I'm not mechanically inclined enough to try this myself and trust that I've done it correctly. Who would you advise to have the shackles installed by? Do I need to look for a shop that specializes in lifts/suspensions? We have one locally, but they seem to do 95% jeeps.

As others have suggested, the Progressive Add-A-Packs provide a more compliant ride because they have a lower spring rate and they sit underneath the 1-ton leaf springs replacing the blocks which have zero spring rate. The new leafs are progressive which means they get stiffer as more load is placed on them due to their design.

Since you do not remove the factory leaf springs, you do not lose load carrying capability and you might argue, the value goes up by the carrying capacity of the Deavers. To stay in compliance with the sticker on your door, I do not recommend exceeding the posted number, but I know my truck can physically carry more weight. If it sags too much for my taste when towing, I pump up my airbags to make it look right and improve the overall ride quality for my passengers.

Okay, I'm not mechanically inclined enough to try this myself and trust that I've done it correctly. Who would you advise to have the shackles installed by? Do I need to look for a shop that specializes in lifts/suspensions? We have one locally, but they seem to do 95% jeeps.
Any shop that does suspension work or 4x4 off road shops.

I just installed a full carli 2.5 system with the Deaver progressive springs. Also aired down to 45 in front and 40 in back with 37” tires. The ride quality is much improved, and really is not that far off from my wife’s Audi at this point.

Last edited:
Back