Rhino Hitch (Adjustable Drop Hitch)

the_doc

Tremor Buff
Reaction Points
Current Ride
'20 F350 Tremor
Current Ride #2
'02 Explorer V8
I'm going thru all the hitch options and it looks like most of the common players have been covered here. Bulletproof, Gen Y, Weight safe, B&W tow and stow. Good options of course. I did come across this other hitch, and I was curious if anyone has any experience or opinions.

I have a 7.3, 350, so I'm looking for a 2.5" sized shank.

Rhino 7" Drop Hitch
1603810189034.png

Looks like they also have 10" drops too, which may sounds ridiculous, but I think the benefit here is that when you move it up you don't have the extra length still hanging down to drag when your breaking that trailer over some bump or small hill / ditch whatever. It also allows you to change the level while the ball is connected, which is kinda neat.

The 2.5" version is good for 14k lbs, and 2k lbs tongue weight. $389.00 for the clear aluminum, and like $50 more if you want black anno.

7" drop:

10" drop:

I have the 2.5” (shank) B&W Tow & Stow w/ 2” & 2 5/16” ball(s); 7” drop
I like my B&W hitch, but I’ve heard good things about the others you mentioned.
I reckon it’s personal preference in the end. I leave my receiver hitch mounted all the time using a locking pin & like to keep it in ‘stow’ position when I’m not using it.
If hitch rattle is a problem (it isn’t w/ mine), THIS is a good solution (2.5” shank).

PS: allll sorts of Michael Scott’s “that’s what she said” things came to my mind pertaining to my reply, and I originally pointed out a several of them; but in the end, I let it lay (for now?).

Last edited:
That Rhino hitch is kinda different looking. The capacities (max GTW and tongue weights) are a hair lower than what I was seeing when I was looking at the Weigh Safes, but still plenty competitive. I guess my concern would be the pivot points. Are those going to stay workable (maintaining the adjustability) over the long haul? Or will they get any corrosion or dirt (or whatever) in there and booger up? Does it have good reviews anywhere?

That Rhino hitch is kinda different looking. The capacities (max GTW and tongue weights) are a hair lower than what I was seeing when I was looking at the Weigh Safes, but still plenty competitive. I guess my concern would be the pivot points. Are those going to stay workable (maintaining the adjustability) over the long haul? Or will they get any corrosion or dirt (or whatever) in there and booger up? Does it have good reviews anywhere?

I agree with your concerns about the pivots possibly getting crapped up. I think if you are the type of person that leave the hitch in all the time (even when not towing) this wouldn't be a good pick. Again I think the main benefit to this style is clearance when you are using it at less than max drop.

Reviews are kind of hard to come by. there is a couple YouTube video "reviews," but they are more like unboxings. Not a lot of word from someone that has actually put it to use for a few a tows.

10 ratings and 3 written review on Amazon for the 2.5" shank (all positive)

30 ratings and a handful more written reviews on the 2" shank (all positive here too)

I'm going thru all the hitch options and it looks like most of the common players have been covered here. Bulletproof, Gen Y, Weight safe, B&W tow and stow. Good options of course. I did come across this other hitch, and I was curious if anyone has any experience or opinions.

I have a 7.3, 350, so I'm looking for a 2.5" sized shank.

Rhino 7" Drop Hitch
View attachment 7905

Looks like they also have 10" drops too, which may sounds ridiculous, but I think the benefit here is that when you move it up you don't have the extra length still hanging down to drag when your breaking that trailer over some bump or small hill / ditch whatever. It also allows you to change the level while the ball is connected, which is kinda neat.

The 2.5" version is good for 14k lbs, and 2k lbs tongue weight. $389.00 for the clear aluminum, and like $50 more if you want black anno.

7" drop:

10" drop:
i got receiver envy thats nice set up and $389 for aluminum reasonably priced too.

Attachments

• FC9A3662-B02B-4AAF-A43A-5A39D939D087.jpeg
    FC9A3662-B02B-4AAF-A43A-5A39D939D087.jpeg
    263.7 KB · Views: 39
I e-mailed them and they suggested the 10" drop version. Looks to me like the mechanism is exactly the same between the 7" and 10" its just that the part that the ball connects to is a T shape vs an L shape. So you essentially start with a little more drop. Seems like it makes sense to go with the 10" because I'm assuming I'll never need the rise the T shape piece offers, and the extra drop might come in handy for something someday.

T shape:
1603892257169.png

L shape:
1603892212317.png

Weigh Safe with Creokote...6" drop, 2.5" shank instead of 3" so it could swap amongst vehicles...
Hitch1.jpg
hitch2.jpg

I went with this freaking beast because I was waiting forever for my BW and needed one right away that was in stock at a local Hecht trailer dealer. Its is kinda nice that it doubles as a pintle as well.

20201029_104345.jpg

Weigh Safe with Creokote...6" drop, 2.5" shank instead of 3" so it could swap amongst vehicles...
View attachment 8064View attachment 8065
I'm leaning toward this same hitch combo, Creokote, 2.5'", 6" drop. Does the 2.5" fit tight with the reducer that comes on the F-350? Also, most of my trailers are 15-16" from the base of the tongue to the ground. Have you found the 6" drop to be enough drop? Lastly, how did you decide on the Creokote vs the standard aluminum and where is the best place to purchase?

I'm leaning toward this same hitch combo, Creokote, 2.5'", 6" drop. Does the 2.5" fit tight with the reducer that comes on the F-350? Also, most of my trailers are 15-16" from the base of the tongue to the ground. Have you found the 6" drop to be enough drop? Lastly, how did you decide on the Creokote vs the standard aluminum and where is the best place to purchase?

Yes...fit's very tight. Would have went with the 3", but wanted to be able to use on other vehicles as well. 6" was plenty for my (30' boat) trailer which I ride tongue heavy at around 15" off...still have adjustment up and down. Also allows to set at different depths (into receiver) witch is nice depending on lengths of chain, power, etc. I purchased direct from Weigh Safe...One thing to note, the Creokote has a longer lead time as they send out per order, they do not stock. Worth the wait to me as I wanted everything to match the black out look...matches the wheels perfect. Got the locks keyed the same as well. Hope this helps!

Yes...fit's very tight. Would have went with the 3", but wanted to be able to use on other vehicles as well. 6" was plenty for my (30' boat) trailer which I ride tongue heavy at around 15" off...still have adjustment up and down. Also allows to set at different depths (into receiver) witch is nice depending on lengths of chain, power, etc. I purchased direct from Weigh Safe...One thing to note, the Creokote has a longer lead time as they send out per order, they do not stock. Worth the wait to me as I wanted everything to match the black out look...matches the wheels perfect. Got the locks keyed the same as well. Hope this helps!
Very helpful, thank you!

I went with Bulletproof, my dad spoke highly of them, link below.

Bulletproof

View attachment 7908View attachment 7907
Hey @Trent-20Tremor7 ... What do you have going on there with the chain coming out of the receiver hookups? Can you explain? Looks like you might have found a different solution for the awkward safety chain fitment on these things. Maybe?

I e-mailed them and they suggested the 10" drop version. Looks to me like the mechanism is exactly the same between the 7" and 10" its just that the part that the ball connects to is a T shape vs an L shape. So you essentially start with a little more drop. Seems like it makes sense to go with the 10" because I'm assuming I'll never need the rise the T shape piece offers, and the extra drop might come in handy for something someday.

T shape:
View attachment 7971

L shape:
View attachment 7970
And to @the_doc ... Did you pull the trigger? I was looking at various powder coated examples in various color schemes for these things. So much so that I now have a bunch of Rhino Hitch stuff showing up on my Facebook feed. Granted, they can look pretty cool, but I'mma stop now so it'll stop spamming my Facebook.

Also, did you ever get your wheel well liners? Sounded like they had disappeared off the face of the earth during shipping. Did they show up?

Does a single pin hold the rhino hitch in the drop position? I imagine that would be some serious shear forces if it does. Otherwise the fact it rises up with the hitch would be good for off-roading a trailer.

I haven’t pulled the trigger yet. I have no immediate need so I was going to hold out and see if they do a Black Friday sale. (Seems like they have in past years).

I have not gotten my wheel liners.... dealer knows nothing. Kinda frustrating at this point.

Hey @Trent-20Tremor7 ... What do you have going on there with the chain coming out of the receiver hookups? Can you explain? Looks like you might have found a different solution for the awkward safety chain fitment on these things. Maybe?

And to @the_doc ... Did you pull the trigger? I was looking at various powder coated examples in various color schemes for these things. So much so that I now have a bunch of Rhino Hitch stuff showing up on my Facebook feed. Granted, they can look pretty cool, but I'mma stop now so it'll stop spamming my Facebook.

Also, did you ever get your wheel well liners? Sounded like they had disappeared off the face of the earth during shipping. Did they show up?
The chain wasnt quite long enough to reach, so i grabbed a piece of chain i had laying around and ran it through to give just the amount of length i needed. Was still a bit tight when turned, but i was just pulling the splitter mainly all highway so it did the trick.

I haven’t pulled the trigger yet. I have no immediate need so I was going to hold out and see if they do a Black Friday sale. (Seems like they have in past years).
Smart. Hmm... I wonder if Baja Designs puts anything on sale for Black Friday?

I have not gotten my wheel liners.... dealer knows nothing. Kinda frustrating at this point.
That sucks. Did you already pay?

Latest Discussions

Back