RetraxPro XR and BuiltRight Bedside Racks - Does it Fit?

jwerley

Tremor Member
Reaction Points
I’m ordering my bedside racks this week. My raptor could only use the 2 large racks. 2 small ones fit but couldn’t access or install/remove with retrax installed.
Just trying to ensure if purchasing all 4 I can use all 4.
cheers.

{mod edit}
See this post for install tips with retrax pro.

Last edited by a moderator:
Don't have the cover mentioned but a snap of my passengers side if that helps identifying the fit/location of the smaller.

20200307_114922.jpg

Tom

I’m ordering my bedside racks this week. My raptor could only use the 2 large racks. 2 small ones fit but couldn’t access or install/remove with retrax installed.
Just trying to ensure if purchasing all 4 I can use all 4.
cheers.

how’d this end up? Did you try it? Did it work?

how’d this end up? Did you try it? Did it work?

we actually left for camping in upstate new york earlier than planned so we never ordered. just got home yesterday so ordering this week. will update.

we actually left for camping in upstate new york earlier than planned so we never ordered. just got home yesterday so ordering this week. will update.

Cool, I'm wondering the same thing. I'm close to ordering the same cover.

I have the retrax pro, and I have the 5th wheel prep and the connections block the built right from going in the front left of the bed. :(

For you guys with the Rettrax cover ... would you mind measuring from the inside of the tailgate to the canister/leading edge of the Retrax when fully retracted?

I’m trying to see if I have enough room to fit my bikes in the bed with my current setup + the Retrax cover.

For you guys with the Rettrax cover ... would you mind measuring from the inside of the tailgate to the canister/leading edge of the Retrax when fully retracted?

I’m trying to see if I have enough room to fit my bikes in the bed with my current setup + the Retrax cover.

ill measure mine for you in the AM.

I have the retrax pro, and I have the 5th wheel prep and the connections block the built right from going in the front left of the bed. :(
Thank you for the info. I’m not sure I understand the 5th wheel prep statement. Can you elaborate please?

I’ve got the factory installed retractable cover which is just Ford branded retrax pro xr, also have the built right bedside racks.

DOESNT FIT with cover installed first, but I got all 4 panels in. You have to cut out where panels hit tonneau cover attachment points.

im not sure but I think if you put the built right on before the tonneau then the tonneau can be attached onto the panels if that makes any sense. You just can’t jimmy the built right panels up under the cover attachment points once it’s installed.

(i bought the built right kit in January, truck arrived March and the 2020s have different 5th wheel plug than previous years. so Essentially they hadn’t adjusted the design yet when I bought which Was my fault for not thinking to check for that.) Needless to say i had to machine a small section anyway to accommodate the 5th wheel Plug so wasn’t shy about trimming other small pieces to allow the panels to fit . They do now offer a model specific for 2020 which I think only differs in the opening for the 5th wheel plug

The canister does protrude past the initial part on the smaller panels. you lose some functionality there

1598440809083.jpeg

(took this for someone who wanted pics of installed factory cover fully open)

all In all some functionality lost with the Retractable cover Which was a little disappointing but I still find it useful, I can still strap my power tank and some other items for off road etc when needed so still fits my needs To be honest

hope that helps,

Chris

Chris - guessing that the sequence of operations to accomplish the above is to first install the racks before installing the retrax unit? I had the racks in my Raptor. Honestly never went and installed the fasteners / accessories but they do look pretty damn awesome in the bed. Likely buying them again for the SD.

Chris - guessing that the sequence of operations to accomplish the above is to first install the racks before installing the retrax unit? I had the racks in my Raptor. Honestly never went and installed the fasteners / accessories but they do look pretty damn awesome in the bed. Likely buying them again for the SD.

looking at how the cover attaches to the side of the truck I think if you install the racks first then you probably don’t need to cut any of the racks.

only issue to that would be if the racks have to be removed for whatever reason then it might be tricky

Thank you for the info. I’m not sure I understand the 5th wheel prep statement. Can you elaborate please?

There's a wire harness big connection point for a 5th wheel right inside the bed that sticks out a couple inches ,and the built right won't clear it and will block it.

Would one of you peeps be willing to measure the height between the top of the bed and the bottom of the Retrax cover when closed? Trying to determine if I can fit a particular cooler and some gear boxes under the cover when it’s closed.

I’ve got the factory installed retractable cover which is just Ford branded retrax pro xr, also have the built right bedside racks.

DOESNT FIT with cover installed first, but I got all 4 panels in. You have to cut out where panels hit tonneau cover attachment points.

im not sure but I think if you put the built right on before the tonneau then the tonneau can be attached onto the panels if that makes any sense. You just can’t jimmy the built right panels up under the cover attachment points once it’s installed.

(i bought the built right kit in January, truck arrived March and the 2020s have different 5th wheel plug than previous years. so Essentially they hadn’t adjusted the design yet when I bought which Was my fault for not thinking to check for that.) Needless to say i had to machine a small section anyway to accommodate the 5th wheel Plug so wasn’t shy about trimming other small pieces to allow the panels to fit . They do now offer a model specific for 2020 which I think only differs in the opening for the 5th wheel plug

The canister does protrude past the initial part on the smaller panels. you lose some functionality there

View attachment 4113
(took this for someone who wanted pics of installed factory cover fully open)

all In all some functionality lost with the Retractable cover Which was a little disappointing but I still find it useful, I can still strap my power tank and some other items for off road etc when needed so still fits my needs To be honest

hope that helps,

Chris
I had to modify mine to fit too

Took this on today. Rears were okay but had to cut a couple of reliefs into the racks so that the clamp bolts could pass thru. Otherwise they bottomed our on the racks and twisted upwards to the point that they interfered with the cover closing. The fronts were another story. One went in and with some minor trimming to clear the lower stabilizing bolt got it to work. The passenger side was a bitch. Gave up and pulled the fronts out. Clamp was bottoming our on the rack and preventing the top from closing. Could have cut more of the rack away to make room for the clamp but lost interest and ran out of time. May come back to it and add them back later

based on this I only ordered the rear two panels. Thx!!

I have the 2020 Tremor Lariat with the Fifth Wheel Prep and Builtrite initially sent the old driver side rear panel and the cutout didnt go over the wire harness connection. But they then sent a revised version that fits over the connection but the holes for the tie downs dont line up when the main 4 screws are put in. Same goes for the passenger side rear. Anyone else have this issue?

I’ve got the Retrax on the truck and the panels on the way. We’ll see how it goes ... fully prepared to trim based on the photos above and hoping everything else lines up as it should. I‘Ll grab some pics in either case.

I spent some more time researching the install and was able to get them in. It was harder to align than I would have expected given the craftsmanship of the panels themselves. You have to keep the 4 main screws very loose in order to get the tie down hook holes aligned. But it worked and I got them in. Getting the trailer out this weekend so looking forward to strapping some tools etc... in the bed of the truck.

Back