Retractable lockable bed cover.

Silverslug

Tremor Fiend
Reaction Points
Okay. I work construction essentially. But it’s be really nice to have a lockable weather proof over that’s is as compact as possible for bed use and trailering when needed.
I also a cheap mofo so looking at quality but affordable. Suggestions?

I’ve got the Gator and like it.

Attachments

• AA681343-4DF2-4687-9BC0-891B0B2AA1E9.jpeg
    AA681343-4DF2-4687-9BC0-891B0B2AA1E9.jpeg
    213.5 KB · Views: 79
  • E403B0ED-8B1B-4657-A896-41F1DB5197FC.jpeg
    E403B0ED-8B1B-4657-A896-41F1DB5197FC.jpeg
    500.1 KB · Views: 80
The only thing I will point out. I also am in construction. Own a roofing / siding company. I’m going to have to put a Decked in my truck and not all retractable covers will work due to the bin they roll up in. Retrax unfortunately is on the no-go list .... just something to look at IF you ever see yourself putting a decked in

The only thing I will point out. I also am in construction. Own a roofing / siding company. I’m going to have to put a Decked in my truck and not all retractable covers will work due to the bin they roll up in. Retrax unfortunately is on the no-go list .... just something to look at IF you ever see yourself putting a decked in
Oh that’s good to know. The decked system is pretty sweet

Good point and I should have mentioned. You will lose ~12” of bed space from tops down and from the cab back.

Since we’ve been talking. Thought I had my mind made up for the ‘22 when it gets here. But damn I like this DiamondBackCovers hd or 270. With their Crossbin toolbox. Anybody using this setup???
That is pretty cool. I will say the height of these tremors would make accessing the tool box portion hard to access without some kind of step. Other than that and gooseneck I’d consider that one too

Ah. Good call. Yeah I’m short as shit myself And ThT was one plus I had for the decked and lost sight of. +1 for tossing ideas around eh?

Ah. Good call. Yeah I’m short as shit myself And ThT was one plus I had for the decked and lost sight of. +1 for tossing ideas around eh?
Haha right, I’m 6’1” and I walked up to the truck at the dealer and it’s definitely a lot higher than I’m used to

Cheap is a term that must be clarified. Cheaper on the initial purchase is not always the cheaper choice over time. My philosophy is to “Buy once, cry once.”

I had a Roll n Lock on my last truck for 21 years. At the time, it was double the cost of anything in its class, but over time, the “cheaper” choice. It still functioned when I sold my truck earlier this year.

After some research, I purchased a Retrax Pro XR - Power and most likely the most expensive route I could have chosen. It satisfied today’s needs better than the Roll n Lock but you couldn’t go wrong with either bed cover. I tend to keep things longer than most which affects my decisions. If you need something to last 5 years vs 10 years, it also has to be factored into the equation.

I am extremely happy I purchased the Retrax, but I did pay extra for some bells and whistles that are not necessary in the brand I selected. Picking a reputable brand with a good track record, warranty and customer service would be my first decision. Then picking something in the price point I can afford would be the second. You can’t go wrong with most major brands. Best of luck!

6DFC4F9B-4404-4CDA-A759-329C6B05669F.jpeg
D6C7E8AA-1BE2-4CA1-AD6F-83CEA7C886EA.jpeg

Last edited:
Cheap is a term that must be clarified. Cheaper on the initial purchase is not always the cheaper choice over time. My philosophy is to “Buy once, cry once.”

I had a Roll n Lock on my last truck for 21 years. At the time, it was double the cost of anything in its class, but over time, the “cheaper” choice. It still functioned when I sold my truck earlier this year.

After some research, I purchased a Retrax Pro XR - Power and most likely the most expensive route I could have chosen. It satisfied today’s needs better than the Roll n Lock but you couldn’t go wrong with either bed cover. I tend to keep things longer than most which affects my decisions. If you need something to last 5 years vs 10 years, it also has to be factored into the equation.

I am extremely happy I purchased the Retrax, but I did pay extra for some bells and whistles that are not necessary in the brand I selected. Picking a reputable brand with a good track record, warranty and customer service would be my first decision. Then picking something in the price point I can afford would be the second. You can’t go wrong with most major brands. Best of luck!

View attachment 25317View attachment 25318
Touché, by cheap I mean, I was not so cheap that I didn’t buy an F-250 XL with the 6.2. Which crossed my mind.

more so would the convenience of a retractable cover worth the expense when I have gone my whole life without one. When I buy something I typically go middle of the road price range. For example 7.3 XLT. This will definitely be a 5year minimum truck. I’m still young, will be 28 this year and just had our second kid so want to get something that’ll be able to haul a camper when the kids get a few years older. That’s where I think the retractable cover would shine, on camping trips. So I may hold off until then and buy it when we get the camper

Back