[resolved] Turbo Failure - Ford not covering

cmack25

Tremor Fan
Reaction Points
Current Ride
2020 F-250 Tremor
Hi all,

I have a 2020 6.7 Tremor with 2K miles and on Tuesday, I had my truck randomly go into "Reduced Power Mode" and the truck barely ran once that happened. I promptly took it to the dealer and today I finally got the diagnosis. I have a damaged turbine and it was damaged by who knows what but I was told it would cost me $7,000 to fix/replace and it wasn't covered under warranty because it "wasn't a manufacturer defect". I was BLOWN AWAY to say the least to hear this. My service adviser was great and fully understood my surprise and frustration. I then called Ford customer care and outlined my issue and asked for help. They were very nice and attentive and offered to call the dealership and subsequently told them to submit a warranty request and see if it gets approved. I've been told we should know something early next week.

I candidly can't believe that I even have to fight for this and wait for a decision. It is a brand new truck and clearly a warranty issue. Its blowing my mind that this wasn't immediately repaired and I am having to argue with them over this. Its not like I cracked open the sealed box and threw rocks in there...something clearly is wrong and now I am helpless and hoping someone approves the request so they can order the parts and schedule a repair or I am screwed.

If that's the case, I will be getting rid of it and making sure people know this story. I am hopeful that Ford will do the right thing and repair it under warranty, and promptly. Meanwhile I will be without my truck for a few weeks while these games are played which is extremely frustrating. I'll let you know how it ends up but just sharing as an FYI as there could be a bigger problem out there.

It's a shame because I loved the truck for the few months I have owned it. I hope that keeps on and I get it back in working order covered under warranty.

IMG_9743.jpeg

Wow thats crazy, have you done any engine mods / tuner or is it 100% stock?

Wow thats crazy, have you done any engine mods / tuner or is it 100% stock?
100% stock minus a train horn which was just some electrical wiring a few months back. I don't think that had anything to do with it?

Bizarre Ford won't cover it. Since it has been "damaged" according to Ford, it sounds like you need to turn it into your insurance for comprehensive coverage.

100% stock minus a train horn which was just some electrical wiring a few months back. I don't think that had anything to do with it?
Can I ask what brand of train horn did you use and were did you have it installed on your truck. I have taken my truck in to 2 different shops and they have both told me that there is no room under the truck to install them.

I am sorry to hear about you experience with the dealership and Ford I wish you the best and hope they make it right with you sir.

Sorry to hear that, I just got my trans replaced at 1500 miles so I know what you are going through. Fortunately my dealer stepped up and got it done quickly, are you going to the dealer you bought it from? They say it doesnt matter where you take it for service but that was not my experience.

Bizarre Ford won't cover it. Since it has been "damaged" according to Ford, it sounds like you need to turn it into your insurance for comprehensive coverage.
As a last option but I am convicted that this is a warranty isue since nothing i did as the owner caused it and its brand new.

Sorry to hear that, I just got my trans replaced at 1500 miles so I know what you are going through. Fortunately my dealer stepped up and got it done quickly, are you going to the dealer you bought it from? They say it doesnt matter where you take it for service but that was not my experience.
It’s a different dealer that is closer to me but they have been trying so far. Good advice though for sure...thanks!

Can I ask what brand of train horn did you use and were did you have it installed on your truck. I have taken my truck in to 2 different shops and they have both told me that there is no room under the truck to install them.

I am sorry to hear about you experience with the dealership and Ford I wish you the best and hope they make it right with you sir.
It’s a Kleinn but you have to literally push the shops to install it under the truck. The “instructions” say mount them up front where the hang down 6 inches and that is what they were doing until I stopped them and make them mount them under the truck and it worked out great. Plenty of spots to place them. If I ever get my truck back I’ll share the location with you.

It’s a Kleinn but you have to literally push the shops to install it under the truck. The “instructions” say mount them up front where the hang down 6 inches and that is what they were doing until I stopped them and make them mount them under the truck and it worked out great. Plenty of spots to place them. If I ever get my truck back I’ll share the location with you.
Thank you sir.

Typically, your auto insurance company adjuster will also be very interested in Ford’s explanation as to why the new truck’s parts failed .... If Ford can’t demonstrate how you contributed to the failure, it’s going to be difficult for them to run away from the warranty.

It might be prudent to be taking very good notes and getting things in writing (perhaps recording conversations depending the state’s laws).

Insurance won't be necessary. This is a slam dunk for lemon laws and buyback. Ford will warranty the turbo because they don't want to buy an 80k truck back.

Why did your trans fail?

Thank you sir.
Do you still have your spare tire mounted under the truck or did you remove it. That's another thing I travel to much and do not want to be without my spare.

The only way a dealership would do that is if they were dirty. It is obvious that they were gonna charge you, AND file it as a warranty claim to Ford......I would not do business there.

3 weeks ago, my boss's 16 F250 6.7 went into limp mode and he took it to the dealer...they told him it was bad diesel which ruined the fuel system...$12,000 to repair...not covered. He was going to file a comprehensive claim with USAA, who had him take it to my dealer Lafayette Ford. Diagnosis: bad fuel pump or something. Cost: Zero, repaired under the powertrain warranty.

I would be highly suspicious of any dealer who denies warranty for a brand new truck that fails and hasn't been modified or abused!!

Torque Converter seal surface wasnt machined/polished properly and caused a leak.

Was just reading there is a recall now for the trans for this issue. Bunch of guys will be getting a new trans it seems.

Hi all,

I have a 2020 6.7 Tremor with 2K miles and on Tuesday, I had my truck randomly go into "Reduced Power Mode" and the truck barely ran once that happened. I promptly took it to the dealer and today I finally got the diagnosis. I have a damaged turbine and it was damaged by who knows what but I was told it would cost me $7,000 to fix/replace and it wasn't covered under warranty because it "wasn't a manufacturer defect". I was BLOWN AWAY to say the least to hear this. My service adviser was great and fully understood my surprise and frustration. I then called Ford customer care and outlined my issue and asked for help. They were very nice and attentive and offered to call the dealership and subsequently told them to submit a warranty request and see if it gets approved. I've been told we should know something early next week.

I candidly can't believe that I even have to fight for this and wait for a decision. It is a brand new truck and clearly a warranty issue. Its blowing my mind that this wasn't immediately repaired and I am having to argue with them over this. Its not like I cracked open the sealed box and threw rocks in there...something clearly is wrong and now I am helpless and hoping someone approves the request so they can order the parts and schedule a repair or I am screwed.

If that's the case, I will be getting rid of it and making sure people know this story. I am hopeful that Ford will do the right thing and repair it under warranty, and promptly. Meanwhile I will be without my truck for a few weeks while these games are played which is extremely frustrating. I'll let you know how it ends up but just sharing as an FYI as there could be a bigger problem out there.

It's a shame because I loved the truck for the few months I have owned it. I hope that keeps on and I get it back in working order covered under warranty.

View attachment 5515

you're a better man than i. i would have gotten arrested for that one.
lemon lawyer time. that statement from the dealer was 100% usda prime bullshit.

Latest Discussions

Back