Tremoraholic
Reaction Points
Military
Air Force Reserve, Spouse
Current Ride
2020 F-250 XLT Tremor 6.7
First Responder
Fire Captain
Just pulled into a 76, was in a rush and needed to top off. Wasn't payingting much attention till I got a couple gallons in that it said R95 renewable Diesel and a small sticker said more than 20% bio diesel. I stopped filling and went elsewhere.

Thoughts, opinions, condemnations?

I used to run straight vegetable oil in my 7.3. I had a separate 90 gallon tank with fass fuel pump and a computer to measure oil temp and pressure to make the switch from diesel automatic. I also had a manual mode to turn off and on when i wanted and a diesel purge to purge the vege oil from the fuel line. It was great smelling my exhaust at stop lights and seeing people looking around for where the smell was coming from. Biodiesel is different in that there is a processing method using lye or something else and making it suitable for use without special equipment. I knew guys running atf and motor oil but it doesnt have the same lubricating and smelling features of vege oil.

There are benefits to bio but unless there was a price difference worth it, i would just stick to good old processed diesel.

I know this one is a couple months old, but just joined and stumbled across this. For info, this is not a Bio Diesel product or even really related to it. Almost zero smell from the exhaust. Almost chemically identical to regular diesel with higher cetane level and supposedly superior lubricity. For what it’s worth I try to run this exclusively from day 1 when I stumbled across it at my local 76. I have found mine runs better, quieter and with a bit better gas mileage. It costs more, but I honestly have noticed a difference when I run this and then have to fill up somewhere on a trip. I’d like to pay less for diesel and get the same results, but when I can run down the freeway with results I have been getting I’ll keep with it.

I have a friend who drives OTR and claims the fuel in Ca (and specifically this Renewable Diesel stuff) gets him 5-10% better mileage when he comes out. He hates everything else about the state except the weather, so I'm inclined to think he is onto something.

Does running that void any warranties?

"I have a friend who drives OTR and claims the fuel in Ca (and specifically this Renewable Diesel stuff) gets him 5-10% better mileage when he comes out."

I've been thinking the same for a while. Supposedly the bio-diesel has good lubricity. That alone makes it attractive plus in a pinch you could cook fries in the stuff.

Hi All,
I live in Cali myself and have noticed a lot of gas stations carry this renewable diesel. This causes me to look for diesel elsewhere and at times can be challenging. I know the sticker says no more then b20… but is this still okay to run even though it has more then 20%? Seems okay with everyone here? Dare I try it..

Guys with $50,000 engines are using it every day, right?

Thats the thing...it is not biodiesel. Its made with similar ingredients but a different chemical process. Its available everywhere in southern Ca. Supposed to have very high cetane rating. As common as it is I doubt it would be cause for warranty denial.

I live in SoCal and my last station just switched from B20 to R99. I spoke to my service guy and he said it best “what’s Ford gonna do, fault you for not driving out of state to refuel? They sold it knowing that CA was switching, they can’t be unreasonable, you fill up with what is locally available.”

Just to echo what others have already posted, Renewable diesel is not the same as Biodiesel. Renewable diesel meets the same ASTM D975 specs as petroleum diesel, and has Ford approval for use with 2011 and up 6.7l. It does not share the same potential negative side effects of Biodiesel.

I don't see widespread availability where I live, compared to some other parts of California, but when it comes to pricing, I find it priced a little lower than other name brand diesel #2. I experience slightly reduced MPG using R95, although I have only tried it a couple of times.

I still have not found anything showing renewable diesel to have better lubricity than the minimum standard, and the higher cetane rating of the renewable diesel may be irrelevant here in CA, were the minimum cetane rating of petrol diesel is already higher than many other states. So other than emissions reduction, I haven't found a compelling reason to make the switch.

I live in SoCal and my last station just switched from B20 to R99. I spoke to my service guy and he said it best “what’s Ford gonna do, fault you for not driving out of state to refuel? They sold it knowing that CA was switching, they can’t be unreasonable, you fill up with what is locally available.”
How has your truck been running with the R99?

How has your truck been running with the R99?
Just my 2 cents. Ive been running the renewable from 76 for about a year now. I can honestly say that since I have been using it, Ive been using way less DEF. I read that's because it runs way cleaner with less regens needed. Also read it has way more lubricity than #2 diesel. I e been super happy with it. No power loss, no issues at all. Fee of my buddies are only running it also. They like it. Again. Just my experience with it. 👍

Reactions: SJK
Just my 2 cents. Ive been running the renewable from 76 for about a year now. I can honestly say that since I have been using it, Ive been using way less DEF. I read that's because it runs way cleaner with less regens needed. Also read it has way more lubricity than #2 diesel. I e been super happy with it. No power loss, no issues at all. Fee of my buddies are only running it also. They like it. Again. Just my experience with it. 👍
That’s a lot for the response brother! Much needed input!!!

Just curious if those running the 76 Renewable Diesel have any feedback regarding performance in cold climate where typically you'd experience cold gelling? I know Bio Diesel typically will gell in cold weather but I believe the 76 Renewable is different processes, more like Dino fuel. I've used the 76 in my 02 F250 7.3 several times and absolutely love how the truck performs with it...quieter, smoother, better mileage, etc. Consequently I'm planning to use it with my 22 Tremor too. From what I've read the 76 fuel exceeds all ASTM requirements, but I can't find anything specific for it's gell point. I live in the Sierra and the 76 isn't readily available here, or in Reno, but I do look for it when traveling to the Bay Area. By habit I always use Power Service white, with winterizing components, and haven't had any problems with it in my 7.3 in winter. Does anyone have knowledge on gelling point with the 76 stuff?

This site, as well as others I have read say that renewable is much better for use in cold climates compared to biodiesel. https://www.pacstatespetro.com/resources/blog/the-difference-between-biodiesel-and-renewable-diesel/

I recently made a trip down to Southern California and found it difficult, to near impossible to find anything but renewable or biodiesel. Frustrating since I find that my 6.7l gets worse fuel mileage on the renewable diesel. The area I live in Cali still has plenty of stations with regular #2, only a couple have the R95, not sure about the Bay area.

Just curious if those running the 76 Renewable Diesel have any feedback regarding performance in cold climate where typically you'd experience cold gelling? I know Bio Diesel typically will gell in cold weather but I believe the 76 Renewable is different processes, more like Dino fuel. I've used the 76 in my 02 F250 7.3 several times and absolutely love how the truck performs with it...quieter, smoother, better mileage, etc. Consequently I'm planning to use it with my 22 Tremor too. From what I've read the 76 fuel exceeds all ASTM requirements, but I can't find anything specific for it's gell point. I live in the Sierra and the 76 isn't readily available here, or in Reno, but I do look for it when traveling to the Bay Area. By habit I always use Power Service white, with winterizing components, and haven't had any problems with it in my 7.3 in winter. Does anyone have knowledge on gelling point with the 76 stuff?
I can’t speak for 76 but I am using the Arco R99 and I haven’t had any issues. I was given a 100$ gas card for Arco and R99 is the only diesel they sell here in California. I used it on my way to Vegas. I usually use Costco diesel which has been working very well for me. I was very surprised at the performance. The DEF also seems to be lasting longer too. The weather was 100 degrees so I didn’t experience any issues with gelling. I hope this helps in giving you a second option if you’re in a bind.

Back