Regrets going to 37s after Carli?

moxford

Tremor Fan
Reaction Points
First Responder
SAR
'23 6.7 with Carli eVenture pending, so it will be +1.5" higher. I'm 6'6" so going to 37x12.5 on 17x9 +18 won't bother me height-wise.

But what will bother me is wallowing, tippy-feeling, or sluggishness. 37s are bigger, heavier, taller (CG), vastly more sidewall than the stock 18" Duratracs. 35s likely won't look too bad from the pics I've seen, but I'm curious about the SOTP feelings.

TIA!

Cheers,
-mox

I’ve got almost 10k miles on my Carli commuter level and 37x13.5 17 wildpeak rt setup
I absolutely love it for highway driving. My dad who is a classic “if ford wanted it to do X they would have made it do that” type even says how nice it rides

Only issue so far is the tires. Took my truck out to Breckenridge this last week and the RTs are definitely not snow tires. Needed 4wd just to pull out of the driveway with 2 inch of powder.

I haven't gone to 37s because of the spare, that no one ever talks about.

I am not shelling out $2,500 for a trophy hitch to allow a 37" spare.
My previous truck was a ram 3500 with a cali pintop on 37x13.50r17 Toyo mt. Those are a wide heavy tire. I traveled all over Canada with that set up. A spare tire is an absolute must. Most of my bed was taken up by a spare tire over the decked drawers and under the topper. If I cannot mount a spare under the truck then I won’t run that size tire. 37’s on 17’s or 18’s are a great set up, more sidewall flex and more ground clearance, however the added stress on steering and brakes is an issue. 35’s on a Daly driven vehicle that travels in remote areas with a spare under the truck will do just fine. Heck in the early 2000’s I traveled in some very remote areas in northern Ontario with 33’s, and never had an issue.

These aren't full time 4WD vehicles, you can get by with a spare tire that is smaller than the size you run regularly. Secondly, the mass majority of tire failures are flats that can be easily addressed in the field with a plug and patch kit. Learn how to ream and plug a puncture and carry an air compressor on board.

I ran a full size 37" spare in my last two RAM's, both had to be carried in the bed, this wasn't ideal. I agree that it shouldn't cost $3K to run a new hitch that allows room for a 37" spare but it is an option for those that deem it necessary.

ZuMJYBD.jpg

VF5ki3o.jpg

0MmYfB0.jpg

'23 6.7 with Carli eVenture pending, so it will be +1.5" higher. I'm 6'6" so going to 37x12.5 on 17x9 +18 won't bother me height-wise.

But what will bother me is wallowing, tippy-feeling, or sluggishness. 37s are bigger, heavier, taller (CG), vastly more sidewall than the stock 18" Duratracs. 35s likely won't look too bad from the pics I've seen, but I'm curious about the SOTP feelings.

TIA!

Cheers,
-mox
Did basically this, except back country instead of eVenture. Already took the 37s off and went to the Yokohama AT XD (not the X-at) on my factory wheels in factory size. MUCH happier now. Truck responds more promptly to inputs and tows better. Yeah, the tires are getting borderline 'skipped leg day' look but I'd rather have the control.

That said, the AT XDs are a bit noisy. Not any worse than a worn Duratrac, but definitely there.

ETA: this is on my 22.

Did basically this, except back country instead of eVenture. Already took the 37s off and went to the Yokohama AT XD (not the X-at) on my factory wheels in factory size. MUCH happier now. Truck responds more promptly to inputs and tows better. Yeah, the tires are getting borderline 'skipped leg day' look but I'd rather have the control.

That said, the AT XDs are a bit noisy. Not any worse than a worn Duratrac, but definitely there.

ETA: this is on my 22.
Would love for them to make a 37" AT-XD tire, as I do like the studabble feature.

Last edited:
I’ll be running 37-13.50-17” tires in my SD and have ran them before. It’s planted, drives great and a great set up.
I don’t carry a spare but have one at home. A plug kit and C02 tank work just fine in 99% of all situations.

Attachments

• IMG_0789.jpeg
    IMG_0789.jpeg
    429.9 KB · Views: 69
I think these trucks needed to come with 37s - but likely didn't due to towing stat desires and rim size. However, in the looks department 37's are Jessica Rabbit all day long.

The problem I have with the whole deal is if I want 37s (which I do) I need to do a lift - which I do not want to do. Why? Well because every person I ask (some of this form) tell privately of the drawbacks they experience from stock - and I don't want to experience that let alone pay money for it.

So I guess I will sit here wanting 37s, refusing a lift (never considering a level so my truck looks like a squatter when I tow), and flat out crazy at the idea of cutting fenders or removing my mud flaps to put big fluffy tires on for no reason other than looks - or in the rare case some ground clearance needs.

With that all said - depending on how one uses their truck will greatly dictate what they do. I support all kinds of diversity here.

I think these trucks needed to come with 37s - but likely didn't due to towing stat desires and rim size. However, in the looks department 37's are Jessica Rabbit all day long.

The problem I have with the whole deal is if I want 37s (which I do) I need to do a lift - which I do not want to do. Why? Well because every person I ask (some of this form) tell privately of the drawbacks they experience from stock - and I don't want to experience that let alone pay money for it.

So I guess I will sit here wanting 37s, refusing a lift (never considering a level so my truck looks like a squatter when I tow), and flat out crazy at the idea of cutting fenders or removing my mud flaps to put big fluffy tires on for no reason other than looks - or in the rare case some ground clearance needs.

With that all said - depending on how one uses their truck will greatly dictate what they do. I support all kinds of diversity here.
My understanding is that with a slightly offset Rim (18x9 +18mm or 17x8.5 0mm) you can fit 37s with no lift. Looks better and on factory suspension. Seen quite a few pictures including @BroncoHooves in the "What did you do to your tremor today" conversation.

‘23+ can run 37’s on stock with no issues, stock wheels or wheels with +18mm offset. It’s possible it can be done with more offset as well, but I have no personal experience with that.

I am in the "throw the spare in the bed" crowd, but I will admit that is the one issue not a lot of people willingly admit to when running 37's on these trucks. I still run the factory spare under the hitch so that if I do need the bed space I have an emergency way to limp to safety. Honestly though, I've never run into a situation where I needed to use the extra bed space the 37" spare takes up so I usually just leave it in all the time. I did come really close last summer when I was on the road for almost two weeks visiting family back in TX and taking the kids to summer camp, but we made it with some creative tetris skills and were still able to close the roll up cover. If you find that you frequently use most of your bed space and dont want to drop $3000 on a hitch, then that would be the ONLY reason I would consider not running 37's on your truck.

Other's have already chimed in on handling, but I'll add my 0.02 on the matter, with the upgraded suspension you will have zero issues with handling/roll/ etc. the much better damping and spring rates on your new E-Venture system will more than offset whatever you've lost by adding a couple inches of sidewall. As far as weight/tire height, my setup sort of a worst case scenario with it being an FX4 gasser on 3.55 gears. While the weight/height of the tires is definitely noticeable around town (but still completely livable), out on the open road (or really any speed above 10-15MPH) the 10spd does its thing and the truck feels no different than stock. I had been planning to regear initially but after finally doing some moderate towing on the new setup. I think I'll probably just have it tuned when the warranty is out and skip the re-gear (maybe I'll spend my re-gear money on a Trophy hitch :LOL: ). With the deeper gearing on the Tremor (gas or diesel) I doubt the extra weight/height of the tires will even be noticeable to you.

Last edited:
I’ll be running 37-13.50-17” tires in my SD and have ran them before. It’s planted, drives great and a great set up.
I don’t carry a spare but have one at home. A plug kit and C02 tank work just fine in 99% of all situations.
that's a great looking wheel

I am in the "throw the spare in the bed" crowd, but I will admit that is the one issue not a lot of people willingly admit to when running 37's on these trucks. I still run the factory spare under the hitch so that if I do need the bed space I have an emergency way to limp to safety. Honestly though, I've never run into a situation where I needed to use the extra bed space the 37" spare takes up so I usually just leave it in all the time. I did come really close last summer when I was on the road for almost two weeks visiting family back in TX and taking the kids to summer camp, but we made it with some creative tetris skills and were still able to close the roll up cover. If you find that you frequently use most of your bed space and dont want to drop $3000 on a hitch, then that would be the ONLY reason I would consider not running 37's on your truck.

Other's have already chimed in on handling, but I'll add my 0.02 on the matter, with the upgraded suspension you will have zero issues with handling/roll/ etc. the much better damping and spring rates on your new E-Venture system will more than offset whatever you've lost by adding a couple inches of sidewall. As far as weight/tire height, my setup sort of a worst case scenario with it being an FX4 gasser on 3.55 gears. While the weight/height of the tires is definitely noticeable around town (but still completely livable), out on the open road (or really any speed above 10-15MPH) the 10spd does its thing and the truck feels no different than stock. I had been planning to regear initially but after finally doing some moderate towing on the new setup. I think I'll probably just have it tuned when the warranty is out and skip the re-gear (maybe I'll spend my re-gear money on a Trophy hitch :LOL: ). With the deeper gearing on the Tremor (gas or diesel) I doubt the extra weight/height of the tires will even be noticeable to you.
I've been putting together a little spreadsheet on possible wheel tire combos im interested in to understand the weight/load changes to a setup with a 37" tire. The weight impacts are per wheel/tire, and it looks like they will be much more noticable as you get into the 20"plus range of wheels. Some of the smaller 17/18 wheel tire combos with 37" tires can have 20 lbs or less added per wheel. Certainly not a small number, but we have the power to overcome that. Braking probably wouldnt be a bad upgrade to consider down the road though either given the increases to the tire size and overall weight being stopped.

1708104888646.png

There's a 2 or 3 extremely vocal posters on here who had a bad experience that seems to be primarily down to either a botched install or picked the wrong kit for their needs. Or just generally you hear from people who cheaped out/cut corners to save a buck... outside of that, if you buy a quality kit (Carli, OUO, Icon, PMF etc.) and have it properly installed and aligned, I dont see where this feeling would come from. I am very open and honest about some of the compromises I made with my own setup, but it's still miles better than stock and it was the balance between budget and the performance I wanted.

Also, as others have noted, you have a 23+ truck, so you can run 37s on stock wheels with little to no issue. the ass high and stuffed wheel in the wheel well look isn't my cup of tea, but it does work for some. You can run spacers or a different offset to get the wheels less tucked but then you'll probably have to do some trimming

Last edited:
I've been putting together a little spreadsheet on possible wheel tire combos im interested in to understand the weight/load changes to a setup with a 37" tire. The weight impacts are per wheel/tire, and it looks like they will be much more noticable as you get into the 20"plus range of wheels. Some of the smaller 17/18 wheel tire combos with 37" tires can have 20 lbs or less added per wheel. Certainly not a small number, but we have the power to overcome that. Braking probably wouldnt be a bad upgrade to consider down the road though either given the increases to the tire size and overall weight being stopped.

View attachment 144839
You are picking some really heavy tires there. Toyo ATIII or BFG KO2 will be easily 10lbs less per tire right off the bat (and at least for the ATIII it has the same ply count as the Falken and Baja Boss, and a higher load index and speed rating too). The HD methods are also almost 10lbs heavier per wheel than some of the standard offerings..

Awesome to see another data nut on here! ;)

I went with a load range D Baja Boss, as the tires combined were still more than the rear axle weight rating. (y)

Back