Red Zeppelin Build

Thanks for the detailed post and pictures!! That’s super useful, and has me thinking I might just go with the cylinder plug and not swap on a passenger handle. I already missed my opportunity to have the handle painted with the rest of the truck at the body shop.

It sure does look clean, though! Great work!
I’m definitely going plug now, I’ll just buy a handle cover that has no keyhole.

There have been quite a few posts over on the ford trucks forum about the modifications needed. I wish I would have told you ahead of time.

As for this last post about doing the plug, that’s what I did. You can not however just buy the cover. The covers are sold with the handle. This too has been discussed many times on the other forum.

There have been quite a few posts over on the ford trucks forum about the modifications needed. I wish I would have told you ahead of time.

As for this last post about doing the plug, that’s what I did. You can not however just buy the cover. The covers are sold with the handle. This too has been discussed many times on the other forum.
Well that just plain sucks. Maybe a junkyard place may have one then

I didn't find such info. All I hear people talking about was how easy it is to do a passenger handle swap, just paint to match and install and you're golden.

Either way I'm glad it's done and hopefully the knowledge and information I made and shared will be very valuable to this forum. The install had #nope written all over it but I stood my ground and did the best job I could.

Shame on Ford for not putting in a steel plate in the doors negating the need for these shenanigans.

The only decent video I found didn't mention the ordeals and modifications required to get it to fit.

Last edited:
Fun little project today that is more tire checking related than truck related.

I modified my Jaco 100 PSI tire gauge so I could try out their Lightning air chuck everyone raves about since I don't like the stock style; it tends to leak air if not perfectly placed on the schrader and is rather annoying. I'll keep the original end in the truck in case the new one ever gives me issues.

Materials:

Pics:

Stock, unmodified gauge:​
EBOLvZ5.jpg
Unthread original endpiece:​
YyXCcRm.jpg
New parts/materials:​
S9lRw9C.jpg
Finished:​
umgPxV5.jpg

Last edited:
Went a bit crazy on the GearAmerica 25% off sale. :D Most everything already arrived. Just waiting on the Kinetic recovery rope! @ccw

Waiting on a Factor55 3" HitchLink 3.0 as well.

M3vzXOz.jpg

TxQeg0V.jpg

OY62I6x.jpg

Last edited:
Went a bit crazy on the GearAmerica 25% off sale. :D Most everything already arrived. Just waiting on the Kinetic recovery rope! @ccw

Waiting on a Factor55 3" HitchLink 3.0 as well.

M3vzXOz.jpg

TxQeg0V.jpg

OY62I6x.jpg
Awesome! That's some sweet gear right there! Any reason you went with snatch blocks instead of rope retention pulleys?

Awesome! That's some sweet gear right there! Any reason you went with snatch blocks instead of rope retention pulleys?
I'm more of a fan of these snatch blocks, so I can use either steel cable or synthetic rope with them in case I need to let someone borrow them to pull me or someone else out if they have a steel line winch.

Last edited:
I'm more of a fan of these snatch blocks, so I can use either steel cable or synthetic rope with them in case I need to let someone on a trail borrow them to pull me out if they have a steel line winch.
Makes sense! Well that's a great haul.

Sentry CT bed cover installed today. Unfortunately there's an ugly, wide discoloration band that goes at an angle towards the cab that I doubt will correct itself over time.

Already submitted a warranty support request. My luck continues.

NuvbB60.jpg

Sentry CT bed cover installed today. Unfortunately there's an ugly, wide discoloration band that goes at an angle towards the cab that I doubt will correct itself over time.

Already submitted a warranty support request. My luck continues.

NuvbB60.jpg
Other than the discoloration (which sucks!) how do you like the cover?

Other than the discoloration (which sucks!) how do you like the cover?
Seems to fit the bill for what I have intended with an eventual Putco rack. Looks like it will keep out most of the water. I crawled into there and didn't see any daylight.

Cool! Yeah, looks like you still have full access to the stake pockets, which I'm sure you already knew before purchasing!
Yep. Putco never bothered to reply to my question asking if the Sentry would work. So, took a gamble on it. Their website just has a blanket statement that any modern tonneau 'should' work.

Last edited:
Changing my tire strategy with less devices.

Bought a 100 psi inflator which allows me to use it as a standalone gauge without being hooked up to the compressor, and as a deflator (can deflate with the side brass button and also the silver inflation handle).

I tried the rapid deflators from Jaco/ARB and noticed there was an extreme likelihood of crossthreading the valve cores when reinserting into the valve stem. No thanks, I'll just zip tie the deflator button down on this and drink a beverage while I wait.

3 devices in one :D

A5NagY9.jpg

Last edited:
Back