Red Zeppelin Build

Wasn't able to figure out how to remove just the handle easily without removing the whole bezel assembly, so I wrapped the 'handle' today.

Not completely satisfied with how it turned out, since it was the first time I've used vinyl and there's a spec of chrome at the top showing from where my trim tool poked through the vinyl pushing it into the crevice. Pics in reverse order:

rOnOwlU.jpg

6yFPMhM.jpg

GLxFy0N.jpg

tyQhkvH.jpg

Wasn't able to figure out how to remove just the handle easily without removing the whole bezel assembly, so I wrapped the 'handle' today.

Not completely satisfied with how it turned out, since it was the first time I've used vinyl and there's a spec of chrome at the top showing from where my trim tool poked through the vinyl pushing it into the crevice. Pics in reverse order:

rOnOwlU.jpg

6yFPMhM.jpg

GLxFy0N.jpg

tyQhkvH.jpg
Looks great! Added to my todo list.

Ok, learned quite a few things the old fashioned way. The handle is not only clipped on in three places, but also has dabs of a rubbery glue holding it on.

I got it off but don't recommend doing this. Someone had to experiment and take one for the team for science! 💪

Broke two white clips in the process figuring out the process, so I'll see if fordguy knows where to get them.

Now that I have it off I may just end up painting it. Not sure yet.

TR8l6lg.jpg

I2WnDBj.jpg

@fordguy74656 Can you help me locate these white clips? I need two but would like to get four. These ones in this photo are how they look undamaged.

The panel is held on by four bolts as well, so they may not be totally necessary if you can't find them.

b3TKuJM.jpg

Last edited:
Ok, learned quite a few things the old fashioned way. The handle is not only clipped on in three places, but also has dabs of a rubbery glue holding it on.

I got it off but don't recommend doing this. Someone had to experiment and take one for the team for science! 💪

Broke two white clips in the process figuring out the process, so I'll see if fordguy knows where to get them.

TR8l6lg.jpg

I2WnDBj.jpg

@fordguy74656 Can you help me locate these white clips? I need two but would like to get four. These ones in this photo are how they look undamaged.

The panel is held on by four bolts as well, so they may not be totally necessary if you can't find them.

b3TKuJM.jpg
Thanks for being the guinea pig! I definitely won’t be removing mine now, and will just wrap it in place.

I bet your wrap will look amazing afterwards, though!

Thanks for being the guinea pig! I definitely won’t be removing mine now, and will just wrap it in place.

I bet your wrap will look amazing afterwards, though!
I'm thinking about scuffing it with scotchbrite and doing matte black paint. Thoughts? Or paint + vinyl. Not sure how well the paint would stick to the ABS plastic over time.

I'm thinking about scuffing it with scotchbrite and doing matte black paint. Thoughts? Or paint + vinyl. Not sure how well the paint would stick to the ABS plastic over time.
Try oven cleaner first. Usually oven cleaner will strip plastic chrome and then you can scuff, adhesion promoter, prime, and paint. Do the oven cleaner application in a well ventilated area.

Also pick up a can of 2k clear, should keep your paint job lasting longer.

Thinking about just sticking with vinyl right now, was just concerned the vinyl would add too much thickness to prevent the chrome clips from clicking in, but the vinyl should be compliant enough and the squish of the material should help prevent the edges from peeling over time.

Side note: might be able to salvage the unbroken parts of the two clips that broke by JB welding them. Not sure how well that would stick to Nylon though.

TR8l6lg.jpg

I2WnDBj.jpg

b3TKuJM.jpg
I have a box of clips ill have to look.

Thinking about just sticking with vinyl right now, was just concerned the vinyl would add too much thickness to prevent the chrome clips from clicking in, but the vinyl should be compliant enough and the squish of the material should help prevent the edges from peeling over time.

Side note: might be able to salvage the unbroken parts of the two clips that broke by JB welding them. Not sure how well that would stick to Nylon though.

There's two ten mil bolts holding the whole handle assembly in. If you take the panel on the other side off you'll be able to take it off. Also if you would have had someone pull on the handle while you wrapped it you might have been able to wrap better. Just my two cents though. Your job looked great to me.

There's two ten mil bolts holding the whole handle assembly in. If you take the panel on the other side off you'll be able to take it off. Also if you would have had someone pull on the handle while you wrapped it you might have been able to wrap better. Just my two cents though. Your job looked great to me.
There were actually four 10mm nuts.

Anyways I tagged you to see if you can find those clips, since Ford doesn't list them online.

I'll model and 3D print them if you can't find them. They're like this on ebay, but the ebay ones aren't the same.

Yeah I have a bag of the eBay ones. Ill look. They must've added more. The f150s have two as used to the super duties.

Yeah I have a bag of the eBay ones. Ill look. They must've added more. The f150s have two as used to the super duties.
I just ordered these from amazon. They're all similar enough, one should work hopefully.

My OCD got me into this mess, it will get me out of it 😅

tHGu7OI.png

I just ordered these from amazon. They're all similar enough, one should work hopefully.

My OCD got me into this mess, it will get me out of it 😅

tHGu7OI.png
Amazing how similar those all are without technically being the same as each other.

Probably too late, and maybe you did, but for anyone else working with vinyl for the first time: My semi-pro tip is use vinyl application fluid. Makes it all too easy.

Anybody know where I can get black Ford emblems for the front grill and tailgate? (going for zero chrome look)

The aftermarket seems to only make them up to the '19 model year.

Would love something like this, but for '22 model year:

ebr2LVF.png

Back