Recent success stories w/scarcity fears?

loglat

Tremor Fiend
Reaction Points
Military
USAF
First Responder
Paramedic
Good morning!

I was pretty much set on ordering a 2022 F350. I read lots of these threads where people had been getting good deals on their new builds... I think the best one I read about was $12.5k off MSRP. I feel like the more expensive the truck, the more wiggle room there should be on price.

Anyway, the current market has me gunshy now. I've heard its a lot tougher to get good deals, and some are even having a hard time getting their dealer to honor x-plan. Not to mention, delivery dates are anyones guess... I might not get a 22 until 22! :ROFLMAO: I refuse to buy a vehicle that isn't a pretty good deal.

Does anyone have any hope to offer? Recent success stories? Should I just wait indefinitely? If I could get x-plan + 1000-1500 in rebates + 1000-2000 PCO I'd probably pull the trigger.

Good morning!

I was pretty much set on ordering a 2022 F350. I read lots of these threads where people had been getting good deals on their new builds... I think the best one I read about was $12.5k off MSRP. I feel like the more expensive the truck, the more wiggle room there should be on price.

Anyway, the current market has me gunshy now. I've heard its a lot tougher to get good deals, and some are even having a hard time getting their dealer to honor x-plan. Not to mention, delivery dates are anyones guess... I might not get a 22 until 22! :ROFLMAO: I refuse to buy a vehicle that isn't a pretty good deal.

Does anyone have any hope to offer? Recent success stories? Should I just wait indefinitely? If I could get x-plan + 1000-1500 in rebates + 1000-2000 PCO I'd probably pull the trigger.
There have been several postings by recent buyers who got decent deals from some dealerships. The problem is they have had to employ extreme effort and diligence to find available trucks and dealerships that would still honor X-plan or negotiate in good faith. It really comes down to the integrity and business model of the dealership you are working with. Evidently those kind of dealerships are few and far between and then there's the problem of available trucks. If you want a deal and a truck any time in the near future you're going to have to work hard at it and accept what's available. Otherwise place and order and get in line.

So I signed a buyers order for my 2022 order for the x-plan pricing, which I know was really close to the 2021 when spec it out on the xplan portal build tool. Buyer order had it all lined out, everything like it was supposed to like the $100 doc few with the x-plan. Sales guy said that would be the price when it came in, and if any incentives that are offered at the time of purchase. So going to look and see if I can qualify for any of those as well.

Having just order from a dealership I trust, and has a universally good reputation, I can share my experience. Any truck on their lot is selling at market prices. Even if they had my desired truck available, they would not have honored the program pricing. Not would I expect them to do so in this rare market. However, they did offer me what I felt was a fair deal on an order for a 2022. Not a screaming deal but likely slightly better than the partnership pricing (x-plan). They could not show me 2022 x-plan pricing because it was not yet available. I was comfortable (in this market) saving 6.5k-7k off the 2021 build price I accessed from home. They did say when it delivers it won’t get worse, but we could compare plan pricing then to see which is lower. Leads me to believe they know their quoted price to me was lower.

I've posted about it elsewhere on here but ordering from Granger Ford in Granger, IA is the way to go in my opinion.

You can build a truck on the Ford website, email it to their salesman, Chip Giles, and he shoots you back the invoice with their price which is ~ invoice minus 2%. No negotiation or BS. I. ordered a 2022 F-350 on April 30th and it came in at just over 9% off of MSRP plus I have a $2500 PCO and I've been reading about the $1000 retail bonus cash so when all is said and done I should end up at over 13% off of MSRP. Granger Ford's dealer fee is only $180 and the temporary Iowa tag to get me home is $45. They'll pick you up at the Des Moines airport on delivery day and bring you back to the dealership which is ~45 minutes away. Even when I factor in the flight, fuel, food, and probably a hotel night to get me home to Florida I'll still come out well ahead of what any local dealer was willing to do. For what it's worth Chip also doesn't mind one bit if you take his quote and use it to shop your local dealers and end up buying from someone else. I didn't even bother with my local guys because I've had bad experiences buying past trucks and know they wouldn't come close to touching the Granger number.

Chip Giles
Granger Ford - Granger, IA
chipg@grangermotors.com
(515) 999-8211

You can tell Chip that Josh Olsen sent you.

Last edited:
They are out there. But is more like used car shopping.

My dealer is offering folks with truck orders money on the table to let the dealer have it and reorder a '22. Not everyone will take it, but I'm sure this isn't the only one trying to maximize inventory.

You can get what you want, but if it is a popular option set and color, you'll have you wait and likely pay more.

You can get a deal (relatively), but you get what they want to deal.

Rarely can you get both.

The car market has changed in the last year. You may have to revise your expectations.

I've posted about it elsewhere on here but ordering from Granger Ford in Granger, IA is the way to go in my opinion.

You can build a truck on the Ford website, email it to their sales manager, Albert Schmitz, and he shoots you back the invoice with their price which is ~ invoice minus holdback. No negotiation or BS. I. ordered a 2022 F-350 on April 30th and it came in at just over 9% off of MSRP plus I have a $2500 PCO and I've been reading about the $1000 retail bonus cash so when all is said and done I should end up at over 13% off of MSRP. Granger Ford's dealer fee is only $180 and the temporary Iowa tag to get me home is $45. They'll pick you up at the Des Moines airport on delivery day and bring you back to the dealership which is ~45 minutes away. Even when I factor in the flight, fuel, food, and probably a hotel night to get me home to Florida I'll still come out well ahead of what any local dealer was willing to do. For what it's worth Albert also doesn't mind one bit if you take his quote and use it to shop your local dealers and end up buying from someone else. I didn't even bother with my local guys because I've had bad experiences buying past trucks and know they wouldn't come close to touching the Granger number.

Albert Schmitz
[email protected]
(515) 210-5592

You can tell Albert that Josh Olsen sent you.
Love that you shared this information on the forum. Obviously this is still subject to availability and dealer allotments. It's a tough marker right now and it's on the buyer to put in the extra effort to find a dealer willing to discount and negotiate. Also one must be ready to sign a sales agreement up front to really lock in pricing. Your dealership is obviously going above what most are willing to do but a good deal can still be found with a measure of effort. ? ?

Last edited:
I'll tell you my honest experience if it helps. I had a 2019 platinum f150 fx4 with pretty much every option you can get. With discounts and such I paid $55k for it brand new in 2019. I loved that truck and had no need to ever go bigger... until the wife really wanted a 32' camper travel trailer. The f150 had the power to pull it but in the mountains with wind... It wasn't fun. So I started looking for a f250. I really couldn't afford a similar equipped f250. I really wanted the 7.3 for price and convenience. I liked all the features of the platinum, but honestly I forgot most of them existed half the time. So I wanted a lariat 7.3. I thought the tremor was cool, but I didn't need it. I talked to some places about ordering one, but it seemed sketchy. Like they had no idea about the process and it wouldn't get here until Christmas or next year. So that wasn't going to work. Honestly I would look at auto trader or Craigslist for used trucks, but people want more than new prices for 2 year old trucks. And this market is horrible for used trucks. So for 2 months I kept using ford's website to search new inventory within 200 miles. I did this for 2 months. One day I woke up on my weekend and did the search again and a dealer an hour away had a new arrival. It was a tremor f350 that had almost everything I wanted except it had halogen bulbs and didn't have the lariat black out package. But it was a tremor and a f350 and it had the factory winch and bed cover. It was $69k. The truck I built on fords website was $67k.

They really wouldn't budge much at all on sticker price. And I absolutely hate the idea of paying sticker. The sticker on my f150 platinum in 2019 was $66k. Like I said I paid $55k. They were willing to give me $56k for my truck, which was oddly enough was below rough trade in. But I had some hail damage. When I saw the tremor in person and not just in pictures I was blown away with how awesome it looked. So there was no way I was not buying it. I paid the $69k for it and they gave me more than I paid for my old truck when it was new. I got them to take $500 off the sticker price, because I just don't want to say I paid sticker. Lol. If you have a truck to trade, it might be a good time to buy. If you can wait I would definitely wait.

I personally have a hard time believing anyone right now is paying much less than msrp or sticker, or whatever. But I know like always, guys will say they paid next to nothing for their trucks or the dealer actually paid them just for their time or something ridiculous. I do know dealers are paying well for used trucks in decent condition. That's just my 100% honest experience. I know it's a wall of text, but I hope it helps.

I'll tell you my honest experience if it helps. I had a 2019 platinum f150 fx4 with pretty much every option you can get. With discounts and such I paid $55k for it brand new in 2019. I loved that truck and had no need to ever go bigger... until the wife really wanted a 32' camper travel trailer. The f150 had the power to pull it but in the mountains with wind... It wasn't fun. So I started looking for a f250. I really couldn't afford a similar equipped f250. I really wanted the 7.3 for price and convenience. I liked all the features of the platinum, but honestly I forgot most of them existed half the time. So I wanted a lariat 7.3. I thought the tremor was cool, but I didn't need it. I talked to some places about ordering one, but it seemed sketchy. Like they had no idea about the process and it wouldn't get here until Christmas or next year. So that wasn't going to work. Honestly I would look at auto trader or Craigslist for used trucks, but people want more than new prices for 2 year old trucks. And this market is horrible for used trucks. So for 2 months I kept using ford's website to search new inventory within 200 miles. I did this for 2 months. One day I woke up on my weekend and did the search again and a dealer an hour away had a new arrival. It was a tremor f350 that had almost everything I wanted except it had halogen bulbs and didn't have the lariat black out package. But it was a tremor and a f350 and it had the factory winch and bed cover. It was $69k. The truck I built on fords website was $67k.

They really wouldn't budge much at all on sticker price. And I absolutely hate the idea of paying sticker. The sticker on my f150 platinum in 2019 was $66k. Like I said I paid $55k. They were willing to give me $56k for my truck, which was oddly enough was below rough trade in. But I had some hail damage. When I saw the tremor in person and not just in pictures I was blown away with how awesome it looked. So there was no way I was not buying it. I paid the $69k for it and they gave me more than I paid for my old truck when it was new. I got them to take $500 off the sticker price, because I just don't want to say I paid sticker. Lol. If you have a truck to trade, it might be a good time to buy. If you can wait I would definitely wait.

I personally have a hard time believing anyone right now is paying much less than msrp or sticker, or whatever. But I know like always, guys will say they paid next to nothing for their trucks or the dealer actually paid them just for their time or something ridiculous. I do know dealers are paying well for used trucks in decent condition. That's just my 100% honest experience. I know it's a wall of text, but I hope it helps.
Hard to find one on a lot that you can deal on…You can still find dealers willing to negotiate the 2022 orders… I was lucky enough not to “need” it immediately so am willing to wait until September/October to still get a deal. Plus…get the Sync 4 and 12” screen so a bonus….

This was new?

My 7.3L Lariat Ultimate, no sunroof, or winch, Tremor came out to $72.5K Even chopping out the towing package and maybe a bedliner, I'm not sure it's even possible to get a lower price at that equipment level. That's one hell of a deal, or the dealer rolled it while backing it off the truck and didn't tell ya.

Hat's off. It will be years before anything like that is possible again.

Last edited:
This was new?

My 7.3L Lariat Ultimate, no sunroof, or winch, Tremor came out to $72.5K Even chopping out the towing package and maybe a bedliner, I'm not sure it's even possible to get a lower price at that equipment level. That's one hell of a deal, or the dealer rolled it while backing it off the truck and didn't tell ya.

Hat's off. It will be years before anything like that is possible again.

Attachments

• windowsticker (4).pdf
    1 MB · Views: 44
Yeah I have no problem special ordering a ‘22. That was the plan all along. But it seems that dealerships have zero motivation.

I’m in NW Florida but if I have to go to Iowa to find a reasonable person to take my money, I’ll do it!

All of the obsession here with getting a discount — any discount — off of the arbitrary sticker price that Ford sets reminds me of watching my grandmother and her friends gather every Sunday to conspicuously clip coupons out of the paper so as to save 15c on the can of beans that was marked up 20c the Friday before.

Price Theory is good fun. ?

The last Super Duty I got over $10,000 off was in 16'. Mid-Year discount and 0% for 60 mo. A few months later I saw the new 17' with all the Cameras .. Damn shame, that F350 was nice truck .. ? ? ..

IMG_2588.JPG

All of the obsession here with getting a discount — any discount — off of the arbitrary sticker price that Ford sets reminds me of watching my grandmother and her friends gather every Sunday to conspicuously clip coupons out of the paper so as to save 15c on the can of beans that was marked up 20c the Friday before.

Price Theory is good fun. ?
I kind of wish we could all just have an established price like everything else. And I think we will eventually get to that, with all the competition, internet pricing, etc. But until then, if I can pay $75k or $90k for the same truck, I’m going to do what I can.

You can build a truck on the Ford website, email it to their sales manager, Albert Schmitz, and he shoots you back the invoice with their price which is ~ invoice minus holdback. No negotiation or BS. I. ordered a 2022 F-350 on April 30th and it came in at just over 9% off of MSRP plus I have a $2500 PCO and I've been reading about the $1000 retail bonus cash so when all is said and done I should end up at over 13% off of MSRP. Granger Ford's dealer fee is only $180 and the temporary Iowa tag to get me home is $45. They'll pick you up at the Des Moines airport on delivery day and bring you back to the dealership which is ~45 minutes away. Even when I factor in the flight, fuel, food, and probably a hotel night to get me home to Florida I'll still come out well ahead of what any local dealer was willing to do. For what it's worth Albert also doesn't mind one bit if you take his quote and use it to shop your local dealers and end up buying from someone else. I didn't even bother with my local guys because I've had bad experiences buying past trucks and know they wouldn't come close to touching the Granger number.

Albert Schmitz
[email protected]
(515) 210-5592

You can tell Albert that Josh Olsen sent you.
That's awesome. It's hard to find guys like that. I'm sure he'll get a lot of purchases in the future now!

If you can shave $15k off a maximum configuration, more power to you.

I was speaking more to the obsession with $500..$1k discounts.

Nonetheless, I’d still opt to avoid a fully optioned (maximum markup) vehicle in the first place if frugality is a concern.

Like grandma buying an extra thing she didn’t need and would probably never use just because there was a 15% discount.

Especially true with cars where resale pricing is anchored to the trim level, discounting à la carte options.

Back