Rear Work Lights / Back-up Lights

paularchibald

Tremor Buff
Reaction Points
Current Ride
2020 F350 XLT Tremor 7.3
Thought I would post a few pics of a recent project to add Rear work Lights and additional light for backing up. Below are some pictures of the brackets I made that require no drilling on the truck for installation. The brackets (2.5" .25" wall square tube) slide into the side of the receiver tube and tighten up with the internal bolts. I added a square plug cap on the end for appearance. If you decide to do this I have additional caps as I had to buy in a pack of 10. The lights are the RIGID Industries D-SS Series PRO Flood LED Surface Mount and provide more than enough light.
IMG_4315.JPG
IMG_4314.JPG
IMG_4313.JPG
IMG_4312.JPG
IMG_4307.JPG

That’s a great setup. I love that you didn’t need to drill or damage any of the original tow bar. I may “borrow” this idea as well. ???

Nice fab project! Do you use something like loctite on the bolt threads? What tool do you use to tighten the bolts? Ratcheting combination wrench? Plastic caps are a nice finishing touch.
Thanks, I did use blue loc-tite on the threads, and used a 12 pt box wrench to tighten. The bolts are located 1.25" inside the tube which makes the pressure point line up with the hitch end plate. I thought the caps were a nice touch as well.
I also tried using Aluminum tube and angle with 1/4-20 screws to attach the angle to the tube instead of welding which worked well but I didn't have enough material on hand to make 2 so I went with what I had on hand.

Did you hook them up to the reverse lights or an upfitter? I am planning something similar or possibly mounting the light in the rear bumper. I want them on an upfitter so they only work when I need them. That might be too much when I am backing up in town.

Thanks, I did use blue loc-tite on the threads, and used a 12 pt box wrench to tighten. The bolts are located 1.25" inside the tube which makes the pressure point line up with the hitch end plate. I thought the caps were a nice touch as well.
I also tried using Aluminum tube and angle with 1/4-20 screws to attach the angle to the tube instead of welding which worked well but I didn't have enough material on hand to make 2 so I went with what I had on hand.
Using steel you wont have any galvanic corrosion to worry about.

Did you hook them up to the reverse lights or an upfitter? I am planning something similar or possibly mounting the light in the rear bumper. I want them on an upfitter so they only work when I need them. That might be too much when I am backing up in town.
I love these ideas. This is such a cool mod. I've been thinking of doing it myself. I want to figure out how to tie new reverse facing LEDs in to the stock reverse light wiring, AND the up fitter switch. When switch is on, reverse lights trigger the additional LED lights, when switch is off reverse lights operate as stock :cool:

Mine are on a 3 way switch, off, on, or when the truck is in reverse. Best of all worlds. i do leave them on for reverse all the time, people behind me know when I am coming......?

I love these ideas. This is such a cool mod. I've been thinking of doing it myself. I want to figure out how to tie new reverse facing LEDs in to the stock reverse light wiring, AND the up fitter switch. When switch is on, reverse lights trigger the additional LED lights, when switch is off reverse lights operate as stock :cool:
On my 16' I wired them to both the up-fitter and reverse. They would always come on in reverse. I could also flip them on in park, drive or neutral as well. That required a diode otherwise it would back feed power into the reverse circuit and potentially throw an error code. Not sure if there's a way to disable them in reverse. Maybe a 3 way switch?
Anyways being able to use them in park drive or neutral was nice for camping and hooking up trailers or managing cargo at night.
Cathartic when used on tail gaters.

Mine are on a 3 way switch, off, on, or when the truck is in reverse. Best of all worlds. i do leave them on for reverse all the time, people behind me know when I am coming......?
This is what I was hoping for. I’d love to be able to have them come on when backing up, but also when I’m in park and need the extra light at night. I love this forum! Tons of great information. That being said, is it any kind of special 3 way switch? I’m not much of an electrician, so bear with me, but I’m assuming you would need to feed power from two sources. I would guess one of them is tied into the hot side of the reverse light wiring, but where did you get your hot for when you’re not in reverse? These are probably simple questions but I’m quite novice in the automotive wiring department. Thank you in advance for the help and sorry to the OP for derailing this a bit. ???

I think you can use one of the outfitter switches to run the lights when you want and take the +feed for one of the reverse lights to close a 12V XX amp relay to power the lights when you want them to come on with reverse. This will take additional wiring runs but you dont have to place another switch. I'd have to sketch it up to make sure nothing would melt...

?, Rigid wiring harness, I cheat. The switch is low by my left knee. Power, lights, and tapped into reverse light behind left rear light. Don’t tap into the trailer harness, the voltage variance tricked my truck into limp mode. No codes, but lost power.......

Mine are in the bumper.

They are wired to upfitter 2, I am contemplating wiring in a relay so they will work with the reverse lights but haven't completely decided yet.

They are wired to upfitter 2, I am contemplating wiring in a relay so they will work with the reverse lights but haven't completely decided yet.
That was my plan as well. I want to use them when in the woods and not necssarily when in reverse. They would have come in handy when hooking up a trailer or working on something after dark. It is easy to hit the switch if I am in reverse and decide I need a bit more light.

That was my plan as well. I want to use them when in the woods and not necssarily when in reverse. They would have come in handy when hooking up a trailer or working on something after dark. It is easy to hit the switch if I am in reverse and decide I need a bit more light.
The wiring harness from rigid is a triple switch, u can turn them off, on for trailer hook up( or airing dogs). And to come on when in reverse.

75BC0FEC-CE92-4B9A-82E3-F32541ECDD54.jpeg

Latest Discussions

Back