Rear Under-seat Storage Box

You Likey?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Jeff

Tremor Fan
Reaction Points
I had to vent my distain about the one feature of the 2020 Superduty. In February 2020 I drove my Ford home from the dealership and immediately commenced to ripping out the rear under-seat storage box and threw it in the community dumpster with a grin on my face. After attempting to organize my essentials in this storage box, I realized that whoever designed this container was surely inebriated. I understand the concept for what Ford was trying to achieve here but the design is not complimentary to any configuration of gear at all. Its limiting, inconsistent in dimensions and impedes your ability to utilize flush floor space while the seats are raised. I'm sure someone may find it useful but for myself, its a much more clean and useful layout with it gone. Opinions..

I love this box. I squirrel a way a ton of shit in here that otherwise floats around my cabin or requires a toolbox in the bed.

If I need the open floor space to transport some larger items I can fold it down flat. Seems like a win/win to me?

Lockable under seat storage was a must have option for me. When my Viair dual air compressor kit arrived, I folded the under seat storage flat and put the box on top. I am absolutely thrilled with the versatility and well thought out design.

I must be the only OCD guy lol! Thanks for the input and otherwise, this has been my favorite Ford out of the 5 that I've owned. I'll reiterate that when the box is folded down it isn't flat or flush with the floor, it creates a slick 1.5" plastic hump that is just enough to send Pelican cases sliding from side to side in route. This slightly uneven surface tilts cooler, cases and other high value equipment into the back of your leather seats. This considering my Crew Cab is very spacious. Needless to say, I went back to a topper option and bed rug since I obviously have too much gear... if there is such a thing. Roll Tide!

I must be the only OCD guy lol! Thanks for the input and otherwise, this has been my favorite Ford out of the 5 that I've owned. I'll reiterate that when the box is folded down it isn't flat or flush with the floor, it creates a slick 1.5" plastic hump that is just enough to send Pelican cases sliding from side to side in route. This slightly uneven surface tilts cooler, cases and other high value equipment into the back of your leather seats. This considering my Crew Cab is very spacious. Needless to say, I went back to a topper option and bed rug since I obviously have too much gear... if there is such a thing. Roll Tide!
To be fair, I never put very large shit in my back seat and don’t expect to very often or maybe ever.

Big things go in the bed for me. (One benefit of living in persistent drought conditions.)

But it’s nice that the box folds flat in a pinch.

So, common use case has a lot to do with perception here.

To be fair, I never put very large shit in my back seat and don’t expect to very often or maybe ever.

Big things go in the bed for me. (One benefit of living in persistent drought conditions.)

Truth spoken. Some Gucci gear just seems more secure in the cab. "Common Use" I definitely subscribe to the fact that it can be useful to some people. Lifestyle, profession, hobbies all dictate our individual needs. Appreciate the perspective! There's a saying in the backpacking community "Hike your own hike" I guess that definitely applies to our truck builds as well. Have a Salubrious weekend!

It had not rained here in months. I put that cardboard Viair box in the bed and it started sprinkling! So, I had to move it into the cab.

Truth spoken. Some Gucci gear just seems more secure in the cab. "Common Use" I definitely subscribe to the fact that it can be useful to some people. Lifestyle, profession, hobbies all dictate our individual needs. Appreciate the perspective! There's a saying in the backpacking community "Hike your own hike" I guess that definitely applies to our truck builds as well. Have a Salubrious weekend!

Love some backpacking. It’s been a minute. Holler if you’re ever wandering the west coast.

CBBCBDD3-BF7D-4010-8B6B-FD7A1F85E1DD.jpeg

It had not rained here in months. I put that cardboard Viair box in the bed and it started sprinkling! So, I had to move it into the cab.

haha. We had a freak sprinkle a few nights ago, the one night I happened to leave a bunch of tools outside I’d normally have put away. Always the way.

Love some backpacking. It’s been a minute. Holler if you’re ever wandering the west coast.

View attachment 22532
Awesome! I'd definitely take you up on that offer. I visited the La Jolla area last year on business but I'm a mountain man at heart. That landscape in the photo is something I want to experience. Our Appalachians aren't near as big as the West's but we've got some old growth forests that are a must see!
Balsam 1st.jpg

I've been eyeing the Power Tanks, Viair and ARB Twin systems. Any Viair regrets or advice as it pertains to portable air options? I'd like this mod to be a buy once hurt once kinda deal.

I've been eyeing the Power Tanks, Viair and ARB Twin systems. Any Viair regrets or advice as it pertains to portable air options? I'd like this mod to be a buy once hurt once kinda deal.
I can only compare this Viair to the portable air compressors that I bought at Walmart. Those worked great for car tires but not even the heavy duty one could not inflate these 35's. So, compared to those this system is amazing.

I can only compare this Viair to the portable air compressors that I bought at Walmart. Those worked great for car tires but not even the heavy duty one could not inflate these 35's. So, compared to those this system is amazing.
Good deal, There's some good reviews on it. I'll be sure to do some homework.

Awesome! I'd definitely take you up on that offer. I visited the La Jolla area last year on business but I'm a mountain man at heart. That landscape in the photo is something I want to experience. Our Appalachians aren't near as big as the West's but we've got some old growth forests that are a must see!View attachment 22533
Photo is from Ansel Adam’s Wilderness on the eastern side of the Sierra’s. Magical place. Easy to get lost. Highly recommend.

E279C73A-3356-4EDB-939B-42E91F46BC07.jpeg
301132CC-A2D4-4366-8B9F-299F9C3C2631.jpeg
E37EE18D-647C-46DD-903E-782317FF2BF9.jpeg

I like mine. Keep my B&W hitch, Viair compressor, tie down/rachet straps, first aid kit, and for work purposes my backup 100 ft tape measure and clipboard back there.

The one downside is having to throw all that in the bed when I fold my seats up and give our Newf a ride somewhere.

I like mine. Keep my B&W hitch, Viair compressor, tie down/rachet straps, first aid kit, and for work purposes my backup 100 ft tape measure and clipboard back there.

The one downside is having to throw all that in the bed when I fold my seats up and give our Newf a ride somewhere.
It would be sweet if you could fold up one side at a time, like the seats.

Back