TwoDogs

Tremor Fan
Founding Member
Reaction Points
Current Ride
2022 F350 6.7 Lariat Tremor
Current Ride #2
2023, 1974, 1977 Bronco's
I picked up a NorthStar TC650 camper and had to take the rear tailgate off, and in doing so lost the use of the bed and tailgate cameras. I will be towing a flatbed trailer and would like to find a way to extend or use the bed camera to see the trailer while I am towing. I asked the dealer if they knew of a way to have an active camera while towing and they gave me a blank stare!

The Ford Accessory page lists "SUPER DUTY 2017-2023 TRAILER MOUNTED CAMERA WITHOUT PRO TRAILER BACKUP ASSIST, but says it is not compatible with the Pro Trailer Backup Assist (of which I have - and do not use). https://accessories.ford.com/products/super-duty-2017-2021-trailer-mounted-camera

Anyone use the Ford Trailer Mounted camera without a trailer?

Any suggestions will be appreciated.

Why not get the camera that does work with PTBA and just plug it in at the bumper plug and mount the camera on the top or the camper? I don't see why this wouldn't work and it's the same price as the one you spoke of.

Have you looked into taking the camera out of the tailgate and installing it on the camper? It unplugs to take the tailgate off, so there might be a way to make a snap connecting extension harness to mount on the camper in a location to view what you need it too, in addition to being able to function with the Backup Assist. Or not. Shouldn’t be that complicated. I would think a competent stereo shop would be able to accomplish it or you as a DIY project.
I have a ‘20, so yours might differ, but when I ordered mine, I ordered it with pretty much everything but the glass roof whether i needed it or not, and that included both the trailer back up assist (never have used it, been towing boats, cargo trailers and 5th wheels since I was 14) and the trailer mounted extended camera system for the 5th wheel and boats. Maybe the accessory catalog is offering something slightly different, or the required hardware that should be on the truck only comes from the factory? IDK.

Best of luck with the project.

Why not get the camera that does work with PTBA and just plug it in at the bumper plug and mount the camera on the top or the camper? I don't see why this wouldn't work and it's the same price as the one you spoke of.
The Ford "customer placed camera" is wired and works at speed. I have it mounted on the back of my TT. The only negative I would see for mounting it to a truck camper is the extra wire length. Better to have too much than too little though (someone can pipe in with a topical joke here...)

Certainly there are wireless systems out there but I wanted to utilize the existing screen and integration within the Ford Infotainment system...

Thanks all for the suggestions. To the best of my knowledge the tailgate camera only works when in reverse.

@Modman - Is your customer placed camera (CPC) on your TT viewable in your Sync 4 screen, and do you have the pro Trailer Backup Assist? I can hide the wires when I use the camper so I am not showing off the longer wires!!! Do you have a link to the camera you used? I have the Pro Brake gigantic cable with TPMS, but I am not sure about the CPC connectivity.

Plan B would be a wireless camera on my cell or iPad as it would work when the bears are banging on the camper door for food!

Is your customer placed camera (CPC) on your TT viewable in your Sync 4 screen, and do you have the pro Trailer Backup Assist?
Yes and yes. I can get the exact part number when I am back at home...

View from the back of the RV in the 12" screen:

PXL_20221010_221756728.jpg

I picked up a NorthStar TC650 camper and had to take the rear tailgate off, and in doing so lost the use of the bed and tailgate cameras. I will be towing a flatbed trailer and would like to find a way to extend or use the bed camera to see the trailer while I am towing. I asked the dealer if they knew of a way to have an active camera while towing and they gave me a blank stare!

The Ford Accessory page lists "SUPER DUTY 2017-2023 TRAILER MOUNTED CAMERA WITHOUT PRO TRAILER BACKUP ASSIST, but says it is not compatible with the Pro Trailer Backup Assist (of which I have - and do not use). https://accessories.ford.com/products/super-duty-2017-2021-trailer-mounted-camera

Mounted a Ford camera in a mount specifically designed for it. Stuck on the back door with 3M tape. Jumper harness plugs directly into the tailgate camera plug behind the bumper. Full functionality when in reverse.
You can see it mid point on the door. Also wireless unit that came with the camper Mounted up high has its own display. Super easy to do.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20230318_194633_Photos.jpg
    Screenshot_20230318_194633_Photos.jpg
    147.8 KB · Views: 118
I used this camera as my tailgate camera is now useless due to the spare tire sitting in front of it. Super easy to install. Plugs into the harness with no issues and even has those marker lines for the distance to an object..

Mounted a Ford camera in a mount specifically designed for it. Stuck on the back door with 3M tape. Jumper harness plugs directly into the tailgate camera plug behind the bumper. Full functionality when in reverse.
You can see it mid point on the door. Also wireless unit that came with the camper Mounted up high has its own display. Super easy to do.
Did you use this Ford camera mount for your reverse camera? https://accessories.ford.com/products/super-duty-2017-2021-trailer-mounted-camera

I used this camera as my tailgate camera is now useless due to the spare tire sitting in front of it. Super easy to install. Plugs into the harness with no issues and even has those marker lines for the distance to an object..

This looks like a "backup" camera, whereas I am looking for a camera to view while driving. I talk to the dealer today and they suggested (as someone suggested) that I go to a car stereo installer and have them tweak the software to think the vehicle is in reverse. Evidentially they use d to tweak the software to think the e-brake was on so movies could be watched on the car display. lol

I have a furrion rear camera on my 5th wheel. It’s not a slick as the in dash set up, but it works great. It makes a huge difference when you can see what’s behind you all the time.
My 5er was pre wired and the display screen just plugs into the cigarette adapter

Yes I said cigarette adapter because I’m old and that’s what we call them. Haha

I don’t want to shift the initial topic of this thread too much, but for those of you who have successfully relocated or replaced the camera — does it retain your 360 view on the 12” screen?

I have the same set up and bought the factory trailer camera wiring assembly and it plugs right into the bumper once you install that part that comes with the assembly. Works fine except you have to make an adapter angle for the camera to install onto the camper then come wire management because the camera is made for a trailer and you get around 40' of wire as it is factory assembled. I don't use pro back up assist, I just back up and there is a camera view on the factory console screen if I want to look at that instead of my mirrors.

It's plug and play. Get the dealer to do it for you and check it. Easy.

No. That one's mounted in my sled trailer.

No. That one's mounted in my sled trailer.

Used the Rostra one linked above. Complete integration into the 360 cameransystem.

I can view any of the aux/trailer, bed, tailgate, or hitch cameras at any speed on the factory screen. I believe this was added in MY22 and available on prior years with a FORScan change.

The hunt is on for a FORScan "technician" - Thanks!

Something else I discovered about putting a camper on a Ford is that the satellite antennas are blocked by the camper. I reached out to the dealer and got another blank stare, and that they have no clue how to remedy the situation!

My buddy with a RAM dually is laughing because his satellite antennas are on the front of the cab and work just fine with a camper! He claims that "camper specials" (like his) have the antennas in the front. I wish I would have done more research, but then again - why would Ford put the antennas that far from the dash board anyways???? Good thing I won't need navigation or music while driving! Ugh!!!

Reactions: Rrw
Something else I discovered about putting a camper on a Ford is that the satellite antennas are blocked by the camper. I reached out to the dealer and got another blank stare, and that they have no clue how to remedy the situation!

My buddy with a RAM dually is laughing because his satellite antennas are on the front of the cab and work just fine with a camper! He claims that "camper specials" (like his) have the antennas in the front. I wish I would have done more research, but then again - why would Ford put the antennas that far from the dash board anyways???? Good thing I won't need navigation or music while driving! Ugh!!!
Have you looked in the body builder guide for any insight? I wonder if they do something differently for the chassis cab trucks?

Back