Rear Bumper Light Bracket R&D: Coming Soon!

Want to buy the brackets when they are launched? (Assuming price is within your budget)

• Yes - I’d buy them

Votes: 26 81.3%
  • No - prefer a different product

Votes: 5 15.6%
  • No - not installing rear lights

Votes: 1 3.1%

• Total voters
You could have the driver and passenger side be the same part by converting to a U channel design, where the part itself includes both 'D' and 'P' orientations.

PSd0Cij.png

That’s an interesting idea. It does seem the part would take more material and may make it difficult to attach bolts or nuts with a socket.

That’s an interesting idea. It does seem the part would take more material and may make it difficult to attach bolts or nuts with a socket.
That photo in quote is incorrect. See revised post.

That's what wrenches are for! Ratcheting ones, even nicer :cool: 🔧

Well I tried to do my testing today but the truck and mother nature seemed to not want to help. The bolts on the truck did not want to come undone and with it still being cold and snowy, I didn't want to force it too much and break something. I did however try to add the light to the bracket and then hold the bracket to the truck to see if it would even work.

For reference, here are the lights that I am trying to use for this:

71ZkVDTqJfL._AC_SL1500_1024x.jpg

The short answer is, these lights don't work with the bracket as is. I tried to flip the mounting bracket for the light every which way and the bracket from Legmar as well, with no luck. No matter how, I tried the light would either hit the bumper or would point in a useless direction.

20221226_142954.jpg

I did try to add a spacer to the bracket as shown below. This could either be add with the current bracket (I would need longer bolts for the truck but assuming that I could easily find some to fit the application) or if the bracket was extended down in the design this could work. The spacer and bolt head here are just over .75 inches.

20221226_143741.jpg

20221226_143736.jpg

With the added spacer, the lights fit much better. The light does point slightly down due to the lights bracket not being able to point directly back 90° from the light. I think I would like the slight downward angle but it is hard to tell without being able to actually mount the light. I will either ask the wife to help take some photos further back or try the bolts again once it warms up even more. Still only in the teens today but suppose to warm up above freezing by the end of the week.

20221226_143643.jpg
20221226_143653.jpg

20221226_143628.jpg

20221226_143621.jpg

As others have already said, these are very well designed and made brackets. I was not expecting this much detail in such a small 'simple' bracket. Although these didn't work without some modifications I would definitely recommend to others with smaller lights and may even still end up buying a set myself if I can find a way to make them fit.

@legmar awesome job on these and let me know if you want me to try anything else, take other photos, measurements or anything else that can help you tweak the design before it hits production.

Well I tried to do my testing today but the truck and mother nature seemed to not want to help. The bolts on the truck did not want to come undone and with it still being cold and snowy, I didn't want to force it too much and break something. I did however try to add the light to the bracket and then hold the bracket to the truck to see if it would even work.

The short answer is, these lights don't work with the bracket as is. I tried to flip the mounting bracket for the light every which way and the bracket from Legmar as well, with no luck. No matter how, I tried the light would either hit the bumper or would point in a useless direction.

View attachment 107534

I did try to add a spacer to the bracket as shown below. This could either be add with the current bracket (I would need longer bolts for the truck but assuming that I could easily find some to fit the application) or if the bracket was extended down in the design this could work. The spacer and bolt head here are just over .75 inches.

View attachment 107537
View attachment 107538

With the added spacer, the lights fit much better. The light does point slightly down due to the lights bracket not being able to point directly back 90° from the light. I think I would like the slight downward angle but it is hard to tell without being able to actually mount the light. I will either ask the wife to help take some photos further back or try the bolts again once it warms up even more. Still only in the teens today but suppose to warm up above freezing by the end of the week.

View attachment 107540View attachment 107541
View attachment 107542
View attachment 107544

As others have already said, these are very well designed and made brackets. I was not expecting this much detail in such a small 'simple' bracket. Although these didn't work without some modifications I would definitely recommend to others with smaller lights and may even still end up buying a set myself if I can find a way to make them fit.

@legmar awesome job on these and let me know if you want me to try anything else, take other photos, measurements or anything else that can help you tweak the design before it hits production.
Fantastic feedback and awesome suggestions and photos. Much appreciated!

Btw the T40 bolts are pretty tight. I had to use a decent size socket wrench handle to remove them the first time.

I agree, if you make it a universal part to me it comes across as something not designed truck specific. It's a much cleaner look in my opinion as it is and as intended.

Fantastic feedback and awesome suggestions and photos. Much appreciated!

Btw the T40 bolts are pretty tight. I had to use a decent size socket wrench handle to remove them the first time.
I didn't try too hard getting them loose. Like I said didn't wanna break anything.

Here are some further back photos. Should have gotten a few lower as well. I know the light isn't level but that can be adjusted easily.
20221226_165758.jpg

20221226_165744.jpg

That’s correct. My inventory is already “split” bc the passenger and driver designs are mirrored. Right now I think the current design will work for most light setups and occasionally require someone to purchase their own hardware to attach to the bracket (as @BroncoHooves suggested). But I’ll wait a bit longer and see what feedback others have as they try more setups.
@legmar have you thought about making them a with a common part for each side and then including a spacer to get the angle correct? Seems like a thick washer would do the trick - so no additional design or tooling $ would be required...

@legmar have you thought about making them a with a common part for each side and then including a spacer to get the angle correct? Seems like a thick washer would do the trick - so no additional design or tooling $ would be required...
That’s an intriguing idea. Using a spacer would require the original bolt to be long enough or need to be replaced possibly with a compatible and longer bolt.

That’s an intriguing idea. Using a spacer would require the original bolt to be long enough or need to be replaced possibly with a compatible and longer bolt.
Yeah I thought about that. I haven't looked at that fastener to understand how much additional length is available beyond what you need for the bracket thickness. Many times with those joints there is plenty extra, though, so figured it is worth a look...

Yeah I thought about that. I haven't looked at that fastener to understand how much additional length is available beyond what you need for the bracket thickness. Many times with those joints there is plenty extra, though, so figured it is worth a look...
Good point! 👀

I'd look but my bolts don't wanna come out 🫣

I'm not mad, though.....
I don't blame them based on the weather you have seen the last 4 or 5 days (probably the temps I've had plus 6x the snow). Everything is hunkered down... ❄️☃️

Finally got the 2019 limited 350 over for a test fit. Brackets were easy to bolt up, but there is not a ton of extra length left on the bolt after the bracket is on. Could not figure out a way to accurately measure if a spacer would fit as discussed earlier.

I bolted these up bracket face to the rear instead of front, couldn’t discern much difference in mounting things either way as the edges are equidistant, so that’s how I did them. The bracket fit very nicely into the recessed part of the rear bumper where the t40 bolts reside, so width-wise I like the form factor. Length seems good as well for all the lights I’ve used so far, but I think the bracket needs to be taller. Once it’s bolted up to the bumper in the leveled position, there is about 3/4“ on the inside from the bottom of the bumper to the bottom of the bracket, while there is a bit over an inch on the outside of the bracket from the bottom of the bumper to the bottom of the bracket. I don’t think there is enough room under the bumper with the short height of the exposed bracket to directly bolt a BD S2 bracket to this bracket and have the light face vertical. This however, was my eyeball assessment, as the current S2’s on the truck were a pain to get bolted into the truck, so I did not disassemble them to try them in bracket.

Also, the bolts supplied with the S2’s are bigger than the holes in the bracket. My rough measurements put the hole at .316 of an inch, while the S2 bolts measured in at roughly .345 of an inch.

When bolted up to the drivers side with both bolts, passenger side is great, while the driver side bracket will most assuredly impinge on an Amp step if so equipped.

All that being said, I like the bracket better then anything else I have seen for this spot. It can be bolted more inboard using just one of the t40 bolts instead of both, which will provide more room. Also, have you given thought to perhaps elongating the two bolt holes for the t40s? Simple design change, but it could provide more mounting flexibility side to side. If you haven’t yet, it might be beneficial to look at the most common lights on the market to determine the size of their mounting bolts and determine the optimal size for the production version. Nothing that a step bit or die grinder can’t fix for outlier sizes though. CC42B2D1-7AD0-47F8-8298-3174B6AE2A75.jpegAE0211DC-2497-47AE-A200-7F68FD66E864.jpegCDB8E658-693F-446C-BC01-4FD6BC8A40EA.jpegBBE73B2E-8D05-49F5-BB81-68E2356D3AF6.jpeg69F4D910-9410-4459-9DE9-B0533914C687.jpegD12CFCB8-0CBF-45D4-B997-88478982958A.jpeg3C7F2FA5-A536-4F8D-912A-DDBA4AC6F285.jpeg

Last edited:
Finally got the 2019 limited 350 over for a test fit. Brackets were easy to bolt up, but there is not a ton of extra length left on the bolt after the bracket is on. Could not figure out a way to accurately measure if a spacer would fit as discussed earlier.

I bolted these up bracket face to the rear instead of front, couldn’t discern much difference in mounting things either way as the edges are equidistant, so that’s how I did them. The bracket fit very nicely into the recessed part of the rear bumper where the t40 bolts reside, so width-wise I like the form factor. Length seems good as well for all the lights I’ve used so far, but I think the bracket needs to be taller. Once it’s bolted up to the bumper in the leveled position, there is about 3/4“ on the inside from the bottom of the bumper to the bottom of the bracket, while there is a bit over an inch on the outside of the bracket from the bottom of the bumper to the bottom of the bracket. I don’t think there is enough room under the bumper with the short height of the exposed bracket to directly bolt a BD S2 bracket to this bracket and have the light face vertical. This however, was my eyeball assessment, as the current S2’s on the truck were a pain to get bolted into the truck, so I did not disassemble them to try them in bracket.

Also, the bolts supplied with the S2’s are bigger than the holes in the bracket. My rough measurements put the hole at .316 of an inch, while the S2 bolts measured in at roughly .345 of an inch.

When bolted up to the drivers side with both bolts, passenger side is great, while the driver side bracket will most assuredly impinge on an Amp step if so equipped.

All that being said, I like the bracket better then anything else I have seen for this spot. It can be bolted more inboard using just one of the t40 bolts instead of both, which will provide more room. Also, have you given thought to perhaps elongating the two bolt holes for the t40s? Simple design change, but it could provide more mounting flexibility side to side. If you haven’t yet, it might be beneficial to look at the most common lights on the market to determine the size of their mounting bolts and determine the optimal size for the production version. Nothing that a step bit or die grinder can’t fix for outlier sizes though. View attachment 107581View attachment 107582View attachment 107583View attachment 107584View attachment 107585View attachment 107586View attachment 107587
Very useful feedback and ideas! Thanks for sharing.

Regarding making the bracket “taller”, did you see this post from @BroncoHooves showing a way to fit S2s with the AMP step?

Post in thread 'Rear Bumper Light Bracket R&D: Beta Testers Needed!'
https://www.fordtremor.com/threads/...ket-r-d-beta-testers-needed.13225/post-270619

I’m curious if you think this solution is good to support both the Baja design lights and the AMP step simultaneously? I could make the bracket taller for the lights but that removes the compatibility with the step.

Regarding making the bracket “taller”, did you see this post from @BroncoHooves showing a way to fit S2s with the AMP step?

https://www.fordtremor.com/threads/...ket-r-d-beta-testers-needed.13225/post-270619

I’m curious if you think this solution is good to support both the Baja design lights and the AMP step simultaneously? I could make the bracket taller for the lights but that removes the compatibility with the step.
I actually wonder if I could make the bracket a bit “taller” and still maintain compatibility with AMP. See this orange circled space…

5AA6E6C1-505B-402D-942C-7BA0614CFDD5.jpeg

Oops, sorry, forgot reading he’d posted up on the S2’s. Looks like mounting to the inside like that will squeak by as his pictures indicate. I went from center hole. I’ll have the 2019 back over next week, will set it up like @BroncoHooves and see how that works on a 19. I should have a little more time, so I’ll get the owner to let me disassemble the S2 and actually mount it on the bracket the same way. 😎👍

View attachment 107534

View attachment 107537
View attachment 107538

View attachment 107540View attachment 107541
View attachment 107542
View attachment 107544

I have these same lights on my "A" pillars. Love em

We had some great weather this weekend and it was a good opportunity to open up the garage and tinker with the truck.

I ordered the same lights @legmar is using and so far I am impressed with the quality for $80 lights. https://ultrabrightlightz.com/products/ubl-color-flood-mini-pair

I didn't have any trouble getting the bolts out of the rear bumper to install the bracket. The bracket fits very well and makes the installation of these lights a piece of cake.

Here's a photo of the passenger side with the bracket installed the way it was intended.

legmar-bracket-install7.jpeg

On the driver's side, I installed the bracket backward. This way the light is more recessed under the bumper. I prefer the lights mounted this way and ended up changing it on the passenger side. There is still enough clearance to adjust the light straight or angled down.

legmar-bracket-install1.jpeg

You can see the difference between the position of the lights.

legmar-bracket-install3.jpeg

In the process of making a wiring harness to hook it up to the aux switch.
legmar-bracket-install4.jpeg

I still need to play around with the final adjustments but so far happy with this setup.
legmar-bracket-install5.jpeg

legmar-bracket-install6.jpeg

These brackets are a great idea! I can't wait to see the final version. Nice design @legmar (y)

We had some great weather this weekend and it was a good opportunity to open up the garage and tinker with the truck.

I ordered the same lights @legmar is using and so far I am impressed with the quality for $80 lights. https://ultrabrightlightz.com/products/ubl-color-flood-mini-pair

I didn't have any trouble getting the bolts out of the rear bumper to install the bracket. The bracket fits very well and makes the installation of these lights a piece of cake.

Here's a photo of the passenger side with the bracket installed the way it was intended.

View attachment 108846

On the driver's side, I installed the bracket backward. This way the light is more recessed under the bumper. I prefer the lights mounted this way and ended up changing it on the passenger side. There is still enough clearance to adjust the light straight or angled down.

View attachment 108847

You can see the difference between the position of the lights.

View attachment 108848

In the process of making a wiring harness to hook it up to the aux switch.
View attachment 108849

I still need to play around with the final adjustments but so far happy with this setup.
View attachment 108850

View attachment 108851

These brackets are a great idea! I can't wait to see the final version. Nice design @legmar (y)
They do look way better tucked under the bumper a little more.

Do you have any updates with when these maybe available?

Latest Discussions

Back