Rear axle bolts for sway bar.

tlsu1112

Tremor Fan
Reaction Points
Current Ride
2021 F250 Tremor
Went to install the 7320 sway bar from Hellwig and the bolts that secure the bar to the axle just don’t want to go in. They go in maybe a 1/4 if an inch and then It feels like I would strip them out if I push it to much. Anybody else have this problem?

Mine did exactly that but had no problems going the rest of the way with my socket wrench. I didn‘t really worry about it since I don’t plan on disconnecting the sway bar ever.

I am installing mine today. Will update you. I was hopeful for a quick install as I have things to do today. I ordered the parts in December they came late yesterday.
I plan on the center hole to start with. What hole are you using and why?

I am installing mine today. Will update you. I was hopeful for a quick install as I have things to do today. I ordered the parts in December they came late yesterday.
I plan on the center hole to start with. What hole are you using and why?

I installed mine on the front setting (softest) for now. I wanted to see how that worked stiffening up the ride before I got more aggressive. I likely will go with the middle setting when I start my long tow. I haven’t decided yet since I wanted to put some miles on with the front setting.

I installed mine on the front setting (softest) for now. I wanted to see how that worked stiffening up the ride before I got more aggressive. I likely will go with the middle setting when I start my long tow. I haven’t decided yet since I wanted to put some miles on with the front setting.
Good plan! I will see how hard it is to change settings then decide. Possible I will do the same. I may set it aggressively for my 5er towing. Then back to soft. Depends. I don't mind a bit of tinkering but don't need a pain in the ass either if its a problem to change them.

Good plan! I will see how hard it is to change settings then decide. Possible I will do the same. I may set it aggressively for my 5er towing. Then back to soft. Depends. I don't mind a bit of tinkering but don't need a pain in the ass either if its a problem to change them.

It is super easy to change. One bolt on the bottom of the link on each side of the truck. You can reach in from the front of the rear tire with your wrenches to loosen and tighten without raising the rear end at all. Really, really easy. I did the install with the truck on the ground coming in from the tailgate/rear diff for the main bar and shock mounts; over the tires for the bracket, and then in front of the tires to connect the links. It really is easy.

Went to install the 7320 sway bar from Hellwig and the bolts that secure the bar to the axle just don’t want to go in. They go in maybe a 1/4 if an inch and then It feels like I would strip them out if I push it to much. Anybody else have this problem?
Installed mine two days ago and I had to clean out the threads with spray lubricant before threading the bolts, ran into the same issue you did. After doing that they were much easier going.

Here is my kit on the floor about 10:30 AM

Got it done by lunch, no troubles with the threads However the plate with the welded nuts that goes into the frame. One was not centered on the nut and the hole needed to be reamed out so I could get the bolt in :mad: :mad: :mad:
Pictures to follow. that white grease, sticky nasty shit....... I used it liberally on the poly and it crapped up my hands and my tools. hard to get it off. I used brake clean to clean up my tools and had to spend a bunch of time in the shops sink to get my hands clean. Hopefully I used so much it will never squeak.

Its a well made kit tucks up nice I doubt you lose any clearance, just the front part of the bar hangs down but its higher than the shock perch. There were no U-bolts on this kit. Someone had a kit that had U-bolts that went around the axle. This kit is much nicer.

IMG_6883.jpeg

Here is my kit on the floor about 10:30 AM

Got it done by lunch, no troubles with the threads However the plate with the welded nuts that goes into the frame. One was not centered on the nut and the hole needed to be reamed out so I could get the bolt in :mad: :mad: :mad:
Pictures to follow. that white grease, sticky nasty shit....... I used it liberally on the poly and it crapped up my hands and my tools. hard to get it off. I used brake clean to clean up my tools and had to spend a bunch of time in the shops sink to get my hands clean. Hopefully I used so much it will never squeak.

Its a well made kit tucks up nice I doubt you lose any clearance, just the front part of the bar hangs down but its higher than the shock perch. There were no U-bolts on this kit. Someone had a kit that had U-bolts that went around the axle. This kit is much nicer.

View attachment 19779
Had a hard time finding good instructions for this kit, did you install the links on the leaf spring side of the mounting plate that connects to the frame or on the inside/frame side of that plate?

Had a hard time finding good instructions for this kit, did you install the links on the leaf spring side of the mounting plate that connects to the frame or on the inside/frame side of that plate?
The link bracket goes on the outside of the frame. See this attached picture.

Attachments

• 53BCAE62-3E04-47C7-BE0D-58D34CD7A390.jpeg
    53BCAE62-3E04-47C7-BE0D-58D34CD7A390.jpeg
    392.3 KB · Views: 178
I have the hellwig kit coming tomorrow. Camping season is approaching and didn't want to mess around with pulling our 30' TT.

Already read through the directions, seems like it should be a pretty easy job.

The link bracket goes on the outside of the frame. See this attached picture.
Thanks, that’s helpful. That’s how I installed mine, it just seemed like there was a little bit of tension in the link when I pulled it into place to bolt up the sway bar and it had me second guessing my install ?

I thought the instructions were pretty good. Photos helped I took my time and still only about 90 minutes. Its really about a 30-45 min job. that white grease is messy and sticky. I also had the problem with the nut on the bracket, it was not lined up with the hole in the plate and I had to file, drill and mess around with it to get the bolt in.

Anybody got a few pictures of their install?

Anybody got a few pictures of their install?

I thought I posted these earlier. Maybe that was another thread. Here are some pictures from different points.

Attachments

• 305C31DD-2C49-42F5-AEF1-A1036E0AE079.jpeg
    305C31DD-2C49-42F5-AEF1-A1036E0AE079.jpeg
    431.9 KB · Views: 180
  • D0338974-AAD7-4C71-A725-AA96EF07B393.jpeg
    D0338974-AAD7-4C71-A725-AA96EF07B393.jpeg
    314.5 KB · Views: 182
  • 2EE21193-472A-4444-9F06-6EBD0763C872.jpeg
    2EE21193-472A-4444-9F06-6EBD0763C872.jpeg
    372.8 KB · Views: 182
  • 0E22D7F9-FB07-49A9-B591-279FA6098DEA.jpeg
    0E22D7F9-FB07-49A9-B591-279FA6098DEA.jpeg
    403.2 KB · Views: 180
  • 1EAD82A5-A839-4F74-9463-200A0387BCDF.jpeg
    1EAD82A5-A839-4F74-9463-200A0387BCDF.jpeg
    392.3 KB · Views: 186
You have a picture of the endlink on the driver side?
I had to leave the bracket loose and tighten the top of the end link on the driver’s side, before tightening the bracket. With the way it sits you don’t have much clearance on the backside.

Attachments

• ED18EB18-95A8-4495-9006-EFCF8ECC8E61.jpeg
    ED18EB18-95A8-4495-9006-EFCF8ECC8E61.jpeg
    341.3 KB · Views: 132
  • 601FD09A-FCED-42B0-BB3D-ADB2A532AE62.jpeg
    601FD09A-FCED-42B0-BB3D-ADB2A532AE62.jpeg
    460.7 KB · Views: 135
Last edited:
You have a picture of the endlink on the driver side?
I had to leave the bracket loose and tighten the top of the end link on the driver’s side, before tightening the bracket. With the way it sits you don’t have much clearance on the backside.
You sure your washers are instaled correctly. This is the picture from Hellwigs site. Yours look different? Im not saying one way or another, just wanna make sure I get it right.

Attachments

• washer.png
    washer.png
    199.1 KB · Views: 133
You sure your washers are instaled correctly. This is the picture from Hellwigs site. Yours look different? Im not saying one way or another, just wanna make sure I get it right.
I think you’re right about that, I might be changing mine around this evening as well. I was going off an install I watched on YouTube. Where did you get that diagram from?

I think you’re right about that, I might be changing mine around this evening as well. I was going off an install I watched on YouTube. Where did you get that diagram from?
Right off the hellwig site I believe. I finished mine tonight. That driver side was a PITA to do. Ill test it out tomorrow. Hopefully it doesn't stiffen up the ride to much.

Back