Re-paint Stock Tremor Rims

tremortime

Tremor Buff
Founding Member
Reaction Points
Current Ride
2020 F250 7.3 Lariat Ultimate Tremor Velocity Blue
Has anyone re-painted their stock tremor rims and if you did how did they turn out. With the brake dust and chemicals used to clean the brake dust the rims are starting to dull so I thought that re-painting them might make them look like knew. I plan on scuffing them up and cleaning before painting but wan't sure which paint to use.

Any sugestions or knowledge on this is appreciated.

Has anyone re-painted their stock tremor rims and if you did how did they turn out. With the brake dust and chemicals used to clean the brake dust the rims are starting to dull so I thought that re-painting them might make them look like knew. I plan on scuffing them up and cleaning before painting but wan't sure which paint to use.

Any sugestions or knowledge on this is appreciated.
I've used Paul from http://ewheelworks.us/ on two sets of wheels. He hand build my BBS RS wheels for the BMW 2002, and powder coated some big 19's for my 335. He's in NC, but the work is QUALITY.

Are the factory wheels painted or powder coated to begin with?

Are the factory wheels painted or powder coated to begin with?
They are painted most likely. Probably etch primer + single stage over that. I wonder what harsh chemicals OP used to cause the paint to fade (most wheels clean up pretty well with a non acidic APC/iron decon and then good old car wash soap and water).

While I completely agree that powdercoat is a better option than a rattle can, it really depends on your use. I have used a can to paint bumpers, sliders, roof racks, skid plates.. For awhile, if you prep and paint properly, it will look just as good as factory finish. Over time the rattle can paint starts to look like garbage..

If you're using the vehicle for something that will cause dents, dings, scratches, etc.. paint is the way to go. Even if/when you inevitably do scratch it up, it's very fast to apply a perfectly matching recoat..

If your goal is to paint the wheels a different color for aesthetics alone, powder coat is really the only way to go.

Another thing - if you're just trying to restore the POP of the factory paint, and there is no damage..

I recommend cleaning with Dawn dish detergent, thoroughly rinsing, and then applying F1 Topcoat. I wouldn't use F1 Topcoat on the entire vehicle like they recommend, but it looks phenomenal on black plastic trim and wheels.

ETA: Correction - F11 Topcoat. I've used this stuff on trim for years but had the name wrong. I'm starting to sound like my gramps..

Last edited by a moderator:
Sandblast, epoxy primer, powdercoat gloss or matte black, powdercoat clear topcoat is the order I would go through for a long lasting finish.
Would this be practical on a set of factory wheels. If done professionally, how much money would such a job cost? I’m assuming powder coating needs special equipment. So many reselling their new tremor takeoffs, is it not less expensive to just get a new set.

Would this be practical on a set of factory wheels. If done professionally, how much money would such a job cost? I’m assuming powder coating needs special equipment. So many reselling their new tremor takeoffs, is it not less expensive to just get a new set.
I've had wheels done this way and have paid $6-1200. May not be practical if you can pick up a new set for about the same price but you do get a more durable finish and options for customization (e.g. gloss black vs. flat or different colors).

Variables include condition of current wheel, prep time, color(s) selected, # of coating layers (primer + base vs. Primer + base + clear) and size of wheels. You'll also have to factor in tire dismount/remount to your price too.

I had been using an All Wheel Cleaner so it might be that the brake dust is not getting cleaned of and building up. I'll try the Dawn dish soap. What else could be used instead of F11 Top Cost. is that a wax?

I had been using an All Wheel Cleaner so it might be that the brake dust is not getting cleaned of and building up. I'll try the Dawn dish soap. What else could be used instead of F11 Top Cost. is that a wax?
You could do an all purpose cleaner then iron decontamination and then compound/polish the wheels to see if the original finish is restored (start with polish and least abrasive pad and work your way up to more aggressive pads/compounds until desired effect is reached). Worst case, if the wheels are trashed, you could have them refinished.

Back