Raptor running boards or electric?

The protection is much better with the fixed Tremor boards. If off road, the electric steps can take damage from rocks that the fixed boards will just ignore.

The electric steps swing down much lower to step into the cab and have a little more clearance when tucked away.

Your uses will determine what is best for you.

I have the electric steps in mine.

I have the standard Tremor boards on mine to keep the dirt off the side of the truck. They work great even with my 12.5” wide tires.

These are the Amp steps i installed and the difference in height from stock on my 2020 F350.

Attachments

• IMG_8677.jpg
    IMG_8677.jpg
    229.9 KB · Views: 337
  • IMG_8688.jpg
    IMG_8688.jpg
    236.2 KB · Views: 338
  • IMG_8690.jpg
    IMG_8690.jpg
    229.8 KB · Views: 311
  • IMG_8696.jpg
    IMG_8696.jpg
    238.1 KB · Views: 330
100% electric steps if you’re not planning on doing some serious off road. Absolutely love mine. Can’t tell they’re there until you need them and then it’s super convenient to get in.

But I am biased. I either want electric or none at all. Never liked the look of fixed boards. Had some of the very first iterations of electric steps back in 04 on a Duramax w/ a 14” lift kit and 42” tires.

Go fixed if you want durability with some built in protection from rock chips and door dings. Go electric if you want ease of access. I have the fixed and I’m 6’4”. It’s still a hell of a first step for me to get in the truck. Kids have to crawl up and the wife asks for a ladder every time.. I love it.

I ordered power boards on mine - the wife and kids need to be able to get in, and the raptor boards are too high for them.......plus I preferred the tucked away look......but it all depends on your personal needs and preferences as they are both good choices....

A few things to add to the conversation. Not sure of where you are or where you’re planning on traveling to, but the power boards can develop issues in snow and ice. It will pack around everything and then typically freeze in the “up” position. The other benefit to the fixed boards is if it is your daily driver and/or you end up in parking lots often, it is virtually impossible for someone to throw a door(or a shopping cart for that matter) into the side of your truck. They will most likely hit your boards before anything gets near the body. I’m quite happy with the fixed ones, but if I lived in a warmer climate or used mine less often, I would seriously consider the power boards. ???

I ordered power boards on mine - the wife and kids need to be able to get in, and the raptor boards are too high for them.......plus I preferred the tucked away look......but it all depends on your personal needs and preferences as they are both good choices....
Haha! Mine is Carli lifted with 37s and my wife is 5’ nothing... She manages to get in without too much complaining even though the boards are much higher than my Raptor.

I might do the manual step on her side that others have bolted to the factory boards.

These are the Amp steps i installed and the difference in height from stock on my 2020 F350.
Can you share some photos of the amp ones in the up position and do you like them? I’ve got a ‘22 Tremor on order and I’m considering going with some power boards but I don’t like the chrome on the side of the Ford ones. Thanks!

I ”know” I had the electric ones spec’d but on the order sheet the dealer sent back to me to approve, they left them off accidentally and I didn’t catch it. I had the electric ones on my 17’ and loved them. They were up and out of the way while driving. The sole reason I got them on the 17’ and why I wanted them on my 21’ was because I had the stationary running boards on my 15’ and bottomed out and bent the crap out of them in the same whole 2 years apart while driving a forest service road hunting in Colorado.

When I noticed the Tremor boards on my truck, I was initially let down, however I like the look and functionality of them better than the electrics. They are easier to clean for sure. Plus, as mentioned above, in mud/snow/ice the electrics tend to get stuck closed or sometimes open and aren’t functional. Plus, and unbeknownst to me prior, the Tremor boards sit above the bottom of the truck not lower so they will be harder/less likely to damage. The one negative is due to them sitting higher it’s quite a bit more effort to get in and out of the truck. But, I can live with that.

Last edited:
Guys thanks for all the feedback. I do have Amp on my lifted F150 because I like the cleaner look but love the Raptor boards on the Tremor they look much better than the old running board styles. In 2018 my dealer told me to order Amp boards not the ones that come from Ford. Any guys running the stock Ford electric boards have feedback on their reliability?

The stock ones my 2010 expy have held up well, mud, beach, mountains..had to replace each motor once. Drivers door quit after about 7 or 8 years and passenger about 2 years later. I think the weatherproofing just gives up after 5 or 6 years due to location. Not a hard job to replace by yourself. Replacement motors for mine were about 120 bucks each.

Thank you for posting the measurements! I'm looking at going the same route. What do you think of the height of the step? I was worried about it being too low, but I love the look of the rock rail that the XL has.

My 2 cents. I have a 4” lift w/37” tires and have the stock tremor boards. My wife complains on getting into the truck and will do the amp steps soon. I live in central ny where my use salt on the roads constantly. In regards of having the motor seize up due to salt os snow sludge, there is a toggle switch you can get from amp to keep the steps deployed (like a over ride). So i was thinking of leaving the boards out during the winter, by doing this it may keep the salt/slush slinging off the side of the truck as well.
2B1A68EE-745B-4449-9A85-2D16D26B5244.jpeg

Back