Range on diesel

Lets see ? 34 gal Tank - 500 mile range = 14.7 mpg
600 mile range = 17.6 mpg
700 mile range = 20.6 mpg

When I see mpg threads, I see upwards of 20 mpg. If true, one could go 600 miles and have 4 gal(80 miles to empty) remaining.

Lugging my 9000 lb TT around NorCal I got 360 miles! Once I get my S&B this week I'm looking forward to going over 700 miles between fuel stops while towing!

Best empty mileage I have gotten is 19.6 mpg road miles
Around town 17.2 more or less
Carrying my 3000# slide in truck camper around 15 on the road
Stock 34 gallon tank, do the math. Way better than gas motor especially at today's prices. Thanks JOE u mf

700 miles but i avg 20.7 on a reg basics and can't wait to do the 60 gal tank and get 1200 miles

I think there are so many factors that would need to be included if we were to sort out how someone got their "best" fuel mileage.
Altitude
Slope
Speed
Weight
Head/Tail Wind
Temperature

I found that the truck really likes 65-70 at sea level but many of my trips don't have more than 30 minutes at those speeds on flat ground.

I do 50/50 highway and city miles at sea level, typically empty. All of my tanks (10k miles so far) have been between 14 and 16 mpg (calculated by hand) which would be 475 to 550 miles per tank. If you’re doing straight highway though, you’ll probably get closer to 650 miles (~20 mpg).

I can get 600 miles pretty easily without towing, but the odds of a CP4 pump giving out goes up exponentially as I exceed 450 miles, so I keep it at 450 miles or 25 gallon fill-ups. At a certain point, range becomes less meaningful since bio breaks would force you off the road anyway. May as well fuel up while you're emptying your bladder. As an aside, the longest I've ever driven without stopping is 8 hours straight. It was quite a feat, and it most definitely wasn't all that healthy for me.

This is the most compelling argument I’ve heard for the diesel. Godzilla’s range is embarrassing. The daily stop at the gas station gets old.

I don't do much highway driving, but when on a road trip, I saw a range of 588. In fact, it was so high I had to take a photo because my G55 shows under 200 after filling it.

Range.jpg

I can get 600 miles pretty easily without towing, but the odds of a CP4 pump giving out goes up exponentially as I exceed 450 miles, so I keep it at 450 miles or 25 gallon fill-ups. At a certain point, range becomes less meaningful since bio breaks would force you off the road anyway. May as well fuel up while you're emptying your bladder. As an aside, the longest I've ever driven without stopping is 8 hours straight. It was quite a feat, and it most definitely wasn't all that healthy for me.
I guess it depends on what you are doing. For instance one place I love to go in the summer is a 5 1/2 hour drive from my house. The last 3 1/2 hours are all on either very narrow highway or on dirt roads with no stores. Yes you can stop for bio breaks whenever you want, but you can't just get fuel when you need it, so range does matter when you start getting off road.

Back