Racks - Canoe Kayak Lumber Etc....

VB!

Tremor Junkie
Reaction Points
Current Ride
2023 7.3
Since my Bronco is delayed (again) I need to use the Tremor for a vacation trip I have coming up. The plans was to take the Bronco with the canoe on the roof of it. No Bronco so I need to find a way to put the canoe on the Tremor. I’m looking for suggestions. I was looking at the racks in the link below and probably would just try them if they came in Black.

https://www.amazon.com/Stark-Univer...noe+racks&qid=1624946122&s=automotive&sr=1-11

I don’t need fancy. The goal is functional and easily removable racks. A concern is height. Note in the photo below how the canoe hugs the roof of the Suburban. The racks need to be tall enough to not have the noise of the canoe sit on the roof of the cab.

20120721_133757.jpg

I could also just put it on the trailer that’s behind the Rubicon in the photo but I wasn’t planning on taking the trailer everywhere I want to take the canoe.

A bonus would be adjustable racks so my son could use them on his ’91 F-250.

Thoughts?

Similar concept, but in black:

There are some other nicer racks where you can adjust the height as well, but the price on those may not justify the extra adjustability if a basic one will work.

Similar concept, but in black:

There are some other nicer racks where you can adjust the height as well, but the price on those may not justify the extra adjustability if a basic one will work.
And I looked at Amazon for a while and did not see that. Thanks. I need to go out and measure to make sure 28.5 inches is enough height. It should be.

Yes, some racks are downright cool but I can't see spending the money just for carrying an old canoe to the back country or sending the kid to Home Depot to buy some pipe and lumber. Thule has some really nice ones.

My buddy has a nice Thule one on his 150. Nice rack, but he has about a grand into it...

I'm with you, for what I need if a $250 rack will work, so be it. FYI, I searched truck ladder rack black.

For $225 the racks in post #2 above can't be beat. After the width is set they go on and come off in less than 10 minutes. No load movement or rack flex on long drives at highway speed either.
View attachment 28747
I’m sure it’s not, but boy does it look like the canoe is touching the roof in that photo.

Great photo, though! That’s TOTM material IMO!

I’m sure it’s not, but boy does it look like the canoe is touching the roof in that photo.

Great photo, though! That’s TOTM material IMO!
There's about 1.5 inches of clearance from the nose of the canoe to the cab roof and its offset to the passenger side 4 to 5 inches so the nose is over a low part of the cab. The higher parts of the cab make it look like its touching until you get up high enough to look down and see it.

It's kind of at the the sweet spot. Slide it back and the cab gets higher. Slide it forward and the curve in the canoe lowers the nose as the back begins to go up. It was nerve racking finding the spot that worked.

There's about 1.5 inches of clearance from the nose of the canoe to the cab roof and its offset to the passenger side 4 to 5 inches so the nose is over a low part of the cab. The higher parts of the cab make it look like its touching until you get up high enough to look down and see it.

It's kind of at the the sweet spot. Slide it back and the cab gets higher. Slide it forward and the curve in the canoe lowers the nose as the back begins to go up. It was nerve racking finding the spot that worked.
No kidding that would be nerve racking! How do you get it up there that precisely every time? Have it marked and just get it bang on the first go?

No kidding that would be nerve racking! How do you get it up there that precisely every time? Have it marked and just get it bang on the first go?
We laid a bunch of packing blankets on the roof when we were figuring it out. The racks have these adjustable side braces that we have set to the width of the canoe at the right spot which basically marks the position. Putting it up involves simply sliding it up from the rear and holding the tail end to make sure its in the right spot before the front goes down all the way. Then adjust the rear braces to the width and tighten them up.

The process works great until the time comes that the thing slips out of my hand and comes down on the roof in the wrong spot. I figure that's an inevitability.

We laid a bunch of packing blankets on the roof when we were figuring it out. The racks have these adjustable side braces that we have set to the width of the canoe at the right spot which basically marks the position. Putting it up involves simply sliding it up from the rear and holding the tail end to make sure its in the right spot before the front goes down all the way. Then adjust the rear braces to the width and tighten them up.

The process works great until the time comes that the thing slips out of my hand and comes down on the roof in the wrong spot. I figure that's an inevitability.
That’s quite the system, and slick! Lol I sure hope for your sake (and the truck’s!) it never happens, but it does seem inevitable.

Back