Questions on Diamondback Cover

Jacks1019

Tremor Fan
Reaction Points
I have a tremor that should arrive in another month or so. Trying to decide which tonneau cover to buy.

I really like the diamondback but am concerned about it being a PITA in a few scenarios. For those that have it, can you please comment on your experience:

1) We are campers but not haulers. Feels like fully loading up the bed with gear with the diamondback on would be a real chore.

2) filling the bed with mulch or firewood - again, bed access seems tough.

Does removing the lids solve both of these issues? Or should I consider something that gives me greater bed access?

You can unhook the gas struts in 30 seconds and lay a panel flat onto the other which can make loading easier. You can remove both lids in not much more time although you are left with the small attached center panel. For mulch or firewood it seems to me that leaving it in place wouldn't be much of a hindrance. I've done a fair bit of camping with mine and have never needed to do any of that. It takes a minute or so to remove the fixed panel and 3-4 to put it back on if you have the exact location marked. You can dab some White-Out around the bolts underneath to make it easy.

FYI, it EXTREMELY important that you remove the panels correctly (dead simple) or you WILL damage the hinges.

Also, you better order soon as Diamondback is way backed up.

Last edited:
I am really impressed with the Diamondback HD that I installed 3 months ago, The model i have you can carry 1600 lbs on top. There is always pros/cons with every cover.

If anyone if thinking about ordering a diamondback HD and wondering about lead times, they just shipped mine 9 days ahead of schedule .. (y)

I just ordered my new SE and was told Christmas, well, OK,
perhaps early May. I had an SE on my F150 for 5 years. Thought
about an HD but I don't do ATVs so no need. The SE will support my bilious butt just fine. Weird thing is I decided I wanted the new smooth Line X but my dealer said they won't sell them it so I went with the
tried and true diamond plate. Not a good way to treat your dealer!

I just ordered my new SE and was told Christmas, well, OK,
perhaps early May. I had an SE on my F150 for 5 years. Thought
about an HD but I don't do ATVs so no need. The SE will support my bilious butt just fine. Weird thing is I decided I wanted the new smooth Line X but my dealer said they won't sell them it so I went with the
tried and true diamond plate. Not a good way to treat your dealer!
Did the dealer give you any reason why they would not sell them? Seems like a good way to lose business.

Last edited:
He just shrugged his shoulders. He's been their main dealer in the LA area forever. You would think they would show him some love, wouldn't you? Almost made me want to buy a Retrax from him but I'm sold on the security and durability of Diamondback.

I too had a dealer that could only sell the diamond plate instead of the smooth. The Smooth only direct buy. Which I did and I should be here this week and I will take to my dealer for a cheap install.

It pissed me off but I wanted to do right by my local dealer.
Same reason I didn't beat my local Ford dealer up on price.
I've been blessed so I'm trying to give a little back. My Ford dealer may not be hurting but I figure there may be some trickle down blessings to his employees.

Back