Questions about tire psi

Good to know. Mine is a 250 as well.

FWIW, I'm pretty certain there is no difference in the TPMS settings or manufacturer tire pressure recommendations between a 250/350.

The 60/70 recommendation is for 2022, the 60/80 was for 2020-21. Both are absurd recommendations.

Also: The TPMS sensor is somewhat erratic in behavior. It'll sometimes let you get away with far less than recommended pressure, and other times complain if you're a degree under 50/65 “cold”. I'm not sure what the logic is.
Agree... You have a 250 as well so one would expect some consistency unless it is a model year adjustment.

FWIW, I'm pretty certain there is no difference in the TPMS settings or manufacturer tire pressure recommendations between a 250/350.

I have seen at least one (that I recall) 22MY F350 with 60/80 but it was a non-Tremor so I don't want to presume it is true for Tremor as well.

Here's how to roughly adjust the 50/65 minimum “cold” inflation temperature based on actual ambient temperature at time of inflation at sea level:

Ambient Air TemperatureFront Tire PressureRear Tire Pressure
100º5368
90º5267
80º5166
70º5065
60º4964
50º4863
40º4762
30º4661
20º4560
10º4459

Subtract 2 psi for every 2000 ft in altitude above sea level.

Last edited:
@soop this would explain why yours would have a higher factory alert trigger point for the rear. Or is yours a 22MY? I don't recall...

I'm 99% confident the TPMS settings are the same for 2022. It's just that environments and gauges vary meaningfully.

I just happen to live near sea level in a place that experiences 65–70º daily ambient temperatures year round.

I'm 99% confident the TPMS settings are the same for 2022. It's just that environments and gauges vary meaningfully
The placards are different (physical sticker and As-Built electrons), no debating that. Your statement may be correct based on the threshold to generate an alert, however. Other internet "experts" have stated that there is a 25% variance from factory setting to alert but I have yet to find anything official on that. My only empirical evidence supporting this is from my truck: 60psi setting, 46ish psi alert. That is ~23% and supports the theory allowing for some degree of temperature hysteresis.

2020 f250. Running 40F / 45R. Tires appear to be wearing even, got about 12k on factory setup. Rides much better. Towing mostly light utility trailers and bass boat fine. Mostly moderate payloads, toolbox with 300-400 lbs, ice chest and such. When i hook up to heavy (skid steer weighs with trailer 15k) load I will go up to 65 to 70 rear and 50 to 55 front. I keep a little air compressor in truck for such. Takes about 5 min a tire more or less.

Here's how to roughly adjust the 50/65 minimum “cold” inflation temperature based on actual ambient temperature at time of inflation at sea level:

Ambient Air TemperatureFront Tire PressureRear Tire Pressure
100º5368
90º5267
80º5166
70º5065
60º4964
50º4863
40º4762
30º4661
20º4560
10º4459

Subtract 2 psi for every 2000 ft in altitude above sea level.

Could you expand on what you're saying with this chart? My understanding is you shouldn't adjust tire pressure based on temperature, so you'll need to add air as temperature drops and remove air as temperature increases because it's the pressure that's important.

Could you expand on what you're saying with this chart? My understanding is you shouldn't adjust tire pressure based on temperature, so you'll need to add air as temperature drops and remove air as temperature increases because it's the pressure that's important.

It's mostly useful for the purposes of this discussion, if you're not in a climate that experiences large daily temperature swings. For example, in my climate in the summer, it's not uncommon to have 45º ambient temperature in the morning with 105º temperature in the afternoon. When you have a 60º daily swing like that, it's useful to be mindful of the “cold temperature” you're inflating at, particularly if you're trying to calibrate a gauge or sensor (this discussion.)

e.g. If I were to inflate to 50 psi at noon on a summer day, my TPMS sensor would likely go off the next morning.

My ford dealer changed the settings to 40/40 so if you regularly run lower pressures, ask them to change it. It even updates on the ap.
From everything I’ve heard here on the forums, dealers generally won’t touch the tire pressure settings due to liability.

Certainly doesn’t hurt to ask, and good to hear your dealer did it, but just a heads up to folks that it’s more common to have dealers deny the request.

50 to 55 all around except when I need to tow a heavy trailer then bump up to the recommend

I lowered the threshold with forscan. This would apply to my stock wheels and tires as well as my aftermarket wheels and tires. The used a sensor that was programmed to the same as the factory so I can swap any time ( clone sensors.) I am good with 50 on the low end.

I am at ~50psi all around right now. Ride is definitely improved from the 60/70 factory pressure. Too early to tell regarding fuel economy since I have only had my truck a few months and only made two highway trips. Agree with @Mojave_Idiot though that I would not expect it to improve, just hoping for minimal loss...
X2 for 50PSI.

Maybe I’m too impatient but reading 5 min a tire from 40psi made me think ‘man, I gotta expedite the onboard air plans.’
Yeah little slime air compressor. Does the job, just takes a few minutes if i forget to air up on big compressor at the house or at work. Good thing is you set the pres and walk away it will stop automatically. I like the on board air idea.

General train of thought, more PSI equals a rougher more fuel efficient ride.

Dropping PSI easier ride worse fuel economy.

Im running factory suggested 62/80 250 w/7.3

Hopefully you guys can school me a bit on what the optimal psi is for the tires. Seen a few posts regarding people running their tires at different psi, and was wondering what would work for my needs.

What I would like to gain is a bit of ride comfort and gas mileage. Most of this trucks life will be local or long distance highway, most of the time with just a payload in the bed, although I do tow on the turnpike intermittently. If any of y’all have any tips would be greatly appreciated!
I just run mine a door psi. You can drop it down some but then light comes on and that’s annoying. You don’t gain much comfort or mpg difference by dropping. If your running the stock 35s, go up to a 37 inch tire and that will help with comfort but not so much mpg.

Back