Reaction Points
Military
U.S. Army
Current Ride
2014 F-150 FX4
First Responder
Aviation Law Enforcement
Hello all,

Just posting a quick introduction here. I’m an F-150 guy right now but have been thinking of stepping up to the Tremor. Just need that extra push to go back into debt for a truck again! Ha! Anyhow, this forum is a great resource and I hope to learn more about the Tremor and specifically about ordering one (already been looking through Costco). My biggest decision seems to be between the Godzilla motor or the PowerStroke. I’m all ears for fans of both engines wishing to make their respective cases...

Anyhow, hope to see you guys on the forums. Stay safe out there.

I’ve never owned a diesel myself. I debated as well and it came down to towing a toy hauler. If i was using just for commuting I would have gone gas.

What do you tow?

Personally I didnt even consider the Diesel.

Unless youre towing 10,000 + day in day out I dont see the need for it other than extending your measuring stick.

Currently I tow nothing. But, the appeal of a diesel is consistent power at elevation (turbo), maybe slightly better gas mileage (?) and it can pull mesquite trees out of my yard - maybe not.

However, I see your point. The 7.3 appeals to me because it doesn’t have a turbo to burn up, no DEF nanny equipment, and I like the simplicity of the overhead cam pushrod engine.

I know a few of those statements above contradict one another. This is just how it plays out in my head when thinking of which one I’d choose.

Currently love my Coyote 5.0 ...

I’ve never owned a diesel myself. I debated as well and it came down to towing a toy hauler. If i was using just for commuting I would have gone gas.

Mine would be used mostly for commuting and off-roading to backcountry hunting locations.

So the second part of the equation is F-250 vs F-350.

Why did you pick the one you did and not the other one?

Welcome and good luck with your decision!

Here are the questions ypu may want to ask yourself to understand if ypu'd be better served in a diesel.

1) how much weight am I towing and how often?
2) Do I plan to keep this truck after the warranty expires. Diesels can run big bucks to repair, especially now with the emission controls added.
3) Do I plan to take long road trips often? The fuel savings is not much if any when you consider the 8000 dollars worth of fuel you could buy going gasser, but stopping more often could be a pain in the ass.
4) Do I want to hear the big block growl or feel torque like never before?

The gasser is also more nimble offroad.

I went 7.3 because none of those Diesel boxes checked for me. If I was towing a 5th wheel cross country with the wife, the choice would be diesel all day long.

Welcome to the forums, glad to have you. When you ask which should I buy...get ready for the anecdotal story wars. In the end whether tow heavy or not, get what you want and makes you happy. No one is going to send you a sensibility award for choosing the "just right" application for engine to use ratio.

Last edited:
Welcome and good luck with your decision!

Here are the questions ypu may want to ask yourself to understand if ypu'd be better served in a diesel.

1) how much weight am I towing and how often?
2) Do I plan to keep this truck after the warranty expires. Diesels can run big bucks to repair, especially now with the emission controls added.
3) Do I plan to take long road trips often? The fuel savings is not much if any when you consider the 8000 dollars worth of fuel you could buy going gasser, but stopping more often could be a pain in the ass.
4) Do I want to hear the big block growl or feel torque like never before?

The gasser is also more nimble offroad.

I went 7.3 because none of those Diesel boxes checked for me. If I was towing a 5th wheel cross country with the wife, the choice would be diesel all day long.

Very good points. Thank you for your input.

Actually your statement on the gasser being more nimble off-road appeals to me. I noticed that I could order the 7.3L with the 4.30 rearend but not the diesel. Good point.

Welcome to the forums, glad to have you. When you ask which should I buy...get ready for the anecdotal story wars. In the end whether tow heavy or not get what you want and makes you happy. No one is going to send you a sensibility award for choosing the "just right" application for engine to use ratio.

Oh yes, I knew what I might be starting by asking that question. No stranger to the story wars. I have to fight that all day at work with a bunch of GMC/Chevy guys.

I apologize now for pulling the pin on that frag.

7.3 is lighter, easier to work on, less maintenance, far less expensive, better off road, and less mpg(3-5 less).

Tow every now and then, plan to go off road and you don’t drive 50k miles a year go 7.3.
7.3 is a beast and can tow 15k lbs easy even at elevation.

Last edited:
Dang now with some of these replies I am second guessing my choice on the diesel (not second guessing the F350 over F250 - I would have taken either honestly but because I am building one I figured just go with the 350). Ugh.

Dang now with some of these replies I am second guessing my choice on the diesel (not second guessing the F350 over F250 - I would have taken either honestly but because I am building one I figured just go with the 350). Ugh.

F-350 over 250 is a no brainer!

F-350 over 250 is a no brainer!
Very true, especially if you are custom building but if I found a 250 on a lot that had everything else I wanted I would probably pull the trigger (my 2021 won't be here until Feb and looking at everyone else's Tremors on here is driving me crazy).

Im picking mine up in 10 days. Been on here for months driving myself nuts seeing everyone else's beauty trucks!
Luckily I love my current 2019 F-150 too so it hasnt been too terrible of a wait.

Back