Pros/Cons of Gas or Diesel Engine for downhill towing?

Sneeder

Tremor Member
Founding Member
Reaction Points
Current Ride
Toyota Sequoia
Current Ride #2
Future Ride; 2022 F-350 Tremor (on order)
Which type of engine is best for a large number of large grade downhills? I'm planning to order a 2022 F-350 Tremor but am confused on best engine for deal with downhill grades. I live in Norther California and most of my towing includes significant downhill grades. I currently tow with a Toyota and have to constantly shift into lower gears to avoid brake fade. I know both engines will handle the tow load but I'm trying to keep from having to manually shift the gears on every downhill grade.

I was planning to get a diesel since it includes an exhaust brake that is not included on gas engines. Reading about Diesel Exhaust brakes and Gas Engine Break has me second guessing the choice. The F-350 will be my daily driver - lots of short around town trips with once a month towing of Travel Trailer (8K). I plan to upgrade to a fifth wheel (16k) in a few years and travel more extensively.

How does the gas engine handle downhill tracking on large grade hills? I’m trying to minimize the use of my wheel brakes. Does the gas engine require more work by driver to downshift on large grades vs hitting the diesel brake button and truck doing the engine doing the work instead of the driver doing the shifting? If I set the speed control at 40 mph downhill, will the gas engine use engine braking to keep speed constant or will it rely on wheel brakes?

Thanks for the help.

No gas engine will tough a diesel equipped with an exhaust brake.

If you are towing with a toyota, is it a Tundra or a Tacoma? The 7.3 won't give you a ton more engine braking than that 5.7 on the tundra. If you have a Taco, then it's apples/oranges.

If you tow heavy (>10k lbs), then diesel. Just my take, YMMV

I have both 7.3 and 6.7 both 2020 and both F350

The 7.3 is a dually with 4:30 gears, the 6.7 is the Tremor.

I had the Tremor out in the Rocky mountains with my enclosed car trailer. It was wonderful. Not only up but down the grades. It has the exhaust brake and the adaptive cruise control. They work well together. I set max distance for the descent. Love the 7.3 but it will eat up a ton more fuel going up grade and can't hold the speed down like the diesel. If you are driving fast up the mountains the 6.7 will just keep going, my buddy in his 7.3 kept calling me and telling me to slow down as he could not keep up, his trailer was half the weight of mine and I just pulled away from him going up the grade. Driving thru Nebraska he was right on my ass the entire way ( both going faster than we should have been ). Once we got into the Mountains the 6.7 Powerstroke really showed off.

Actually both engines have plenty of power. Concerns for the diesel are the extra cost plus added cost to maintain and it has tons of emission control devices coming and going. Concerns for the 7.3 none ( cost less and easy to maintain, it's built to last a long time.)

I pull a 5er with the Tremor its 14K if you are going to get a 16K 5er, you should strongly consider the 6.7. if you keep your travel trailer the 7.3 will be fine.

I'm originally from Oroville. Up to and around the Foothills you'd do fine with a 7.3. Heading up to the Sierras, the air starts to get pretty thin. 14,000 plus is heavy. I believe you're better off with the 6.7.

No gas engine will tough a diesel equipped with an exhaust brake.

If you are towing with a toyota, is it a Tundra or a Tacoma? The 7.3 won't give you a ton more engine braking than that 5.7 on the tundra. If you have a Taco, then it's apples/oranges.

If you tow heavy (>10k lbs), then diesel. Just my take, YMMV
I am towing with the 5.7L Sequoia which is built on the Tundra platform. It has served me well except for white-knuckling it down the steeper grade. Time for a real truck!

I absolutely love the auto-engine brake feature. I use it almost daily when going down the grade.
I've never had that on a truck, and I think this is a diesel only thing.

I have ordered the 6.7 for exactly the grades you are talking about between here (WA) and CA, and also the Teton passes to the east. No more white knuckle for anything and my wife will be able to tow, at last.

I'm originally from Oroville. Up to and around the Foothills you'd do fine with a 7.3. Heading up to the Sierras, the air starts to get pretty thin. 14,000 plus is heavy. I believe you're better off with the 6.7.
Oroville? No wonder you're ornery.
I still have a lot of family there and will be there this weekend. Care to meet at VFW or the Pig? Lol

Oroville? No wonder you're ornery.
I still have a lot of family there and will be there this weekend. Care to meet at VFW or the Pig? Lol

Keg Room or noth'n ..!! ?

Back