"Project Tahoe" - Take me around the World

Chris-DTA

Tremoraholic
Founding Member
Reaction Points
Introduction

I am located in San Diego North County (hit me up if you are local). I have had my truck for a bit over one month now. Late August - after flying out to their HQs - I ordered a "Supertramp Flagship LT" pop-up camper, but it has a 10-12 months lead time. I will use that extra time to modify the truck a) in preparation for the camper, and b) also for the journey I have planned. I call it an expedition truck, but who knows what the right term is in the end.

So, I decided to start a build thread to share what I am doing, but also to collect feedback and input from you. Some of this is completely new to me and I appreciate your experience and help.

Why an F250 Super Duty Tremor?

I am planning a multi-year “expedition” and need a reliable vehicle to do that. I am planning to go all across the US, Canada, and Middle and South America + potentially ship this thing to New Zealand and Australia. I have looked at Jeeps, RAMs, Tacomas, and Tundras as well as the F150, but in the end, the F250 Super Duty Tremor seemed to check most of the boxes for me. Reliability, weight capacity, offroad capability, and power just seem to be best for my case. Yes, Toyotas seem to have better global support if I would go with a Landcruiser, but the Landcruiser does not meet my needs and if I am gambling on support for a Tundra or Tacoma I might as well do it with an F250. Why Ford? I had a 2002 F150 for almost 12 years and had only one repair during those years (everything else was regular maintenance).

The Tremor itself is not perfect for my use case, but it is a solid foundation to build on top of. Regarding my travel plans - I am planning to mostly go off the beaten path and go onto dirt wherever and whenever possible. I won’t be doing heavy rock crawling, but I want to go into remote places as far as possible and experience a different world of travel. For some trails and remote areas, the truck will be too big, but that is Ok. So, power and basic ground clearance come into play and I wanted the front slip differential and rear lockers. I want to be able to cross rivers and just go places that a normal SUV will not be able to reach. And I want to be able to do all that while having a camper on the back.

I am planning to work from the road using Starlink Internet and LTE, so the camper is a bit more than what I would have ordered otherwise, but it is lightweight (~1,200 lb dry) and compact being a pop-up.

My Tremor Configuration

As I will go internationally, the Diesel Tremor is not a good choice. I love the torque and power it has and I would love the better gas mileage, too. But once you go into Middle and South America the Diesel situation changes due to lower quality and lower grade diesel fuel. I do not want to mess with deleting some of the exhaust configurations and anything that comes with it.

I decided on a 7.3 Ltr. V8 Godzilla Tremor accordingly and since Ford had closed the books on ordering a custom vehicle I had to chase available models all across the US. I refused to pay any markups or overpriced dealer add-ons and got lucky with a dealership in Utah that sold me a Tremor for MSRP (Labrum Ford in Heber City is great to do business with). I think during June and July I have talked to 30-35 dealerships all across the US and most of them - if they had a vehicle available - wanted ridiculous high markups or way overpriced add-ons. Anyway, here is what I bought:

2022 F250 Tremor – 7.3 Ltr V8 Godzilla – Agate Black - Lariat Ultimate Package – Power Moonroof – Dual Battery – 397 AMP Alternator – Power Running Boards – Black Appearance Package – Remote Start – Rain-sensing Wiper

Missing Factory/OEM Configuration
  • Winch
  • Upfitter Switches
  • 360 Camera Option
  • Heated Steering Wheel
  • Console Vault Safe
My Use Case

Offroad: Turn this Tremor into a more sophisticated offroad vehicle that has no problems going onto trails rated up to 5, maybe 6 in difficulty. I want to be able to go off the beaten path. I have been to all 50 states already and this time I want to avoid interstates and most national parks and experience this country (and Canada) differently. Middle America and South America will be entirely new for me as well as New Zealand and Australia. I hope this truck will take me to all these places.

Payload: Carry a slide-in camper (dry weight ~1,200 lbs) + about 600-800 lbs in addition to that while maintaining the offroad capabilities. This will be the biggest challenge in my opinion. Would love to get your opinion accordingly!!!!!!

Functionality: Offer a good livable space while traveling and allow me to camp in hot and very cold weather conditions. Offer enough room for me and my dog Shelby (9-year-old Yellow Lab). The camper needs to allow me to work while traveling. I can take my job with me as it is 100% remote, but I am also planning to switch to being self-employed along the way (YouTube, consulting, etc.). I am not sure yet what that transition looks like though.

Safety/Reliability: The truck and the camper need to protect me from bad weather, but potentially also allow me to withstand some sketchy situations. Not meaning to be bulletproof or so, but have 3M safety film on the windows to delay break-ins, steel bumpers, and power to push through “obstacles” (I am anticipating certain sketchy situations once south of the border) if needed, have vehicle height to just “play” on a different level than a normal truck and make it more difficult to break in.

So, that is it for the introduction. I have a name for the truck in mind, but not fully settled on this yet. For now, I refer to this as “Project Tahoe”. Why Tahoe? I just love the area up there and it represents everything I want to do and see.

More in my next posting.

Attachments

• IMG_6466.JPG
    IMG_6466.JPG
    306 KB · Views: 1,665
  • IMG_6468.JPG
    IMG_6468.JPG
    408.8 KB · Views: 235
  • IMG_6472.JPG
    IMG_6472.JPG
    148.2 KB · Views: 234
  • IMG_6473.JPG
    IMG_6473.JPG
    278.4 KB · Views: 212
I have about 10-12 months (it is the middle of September 2022 as I am writing this) of time to build out the truck. I am totally excited and can barely wait for all of this to be completed. I found a local (San Diego North County) offroad shop (excellent reputation) close to where I live and decided to give them some work to see how they do and if I am satisfied with their work I will give them more work as we go + I rely on their experience to guide me where needed.

Here is my initial plan:

I am planning for the following upgrades:
  • ARB Twin Compressor + Viair 2.5 Gln. tank (completed)
  • Carli Pintop 2.5/3.5 suspension upgrade (completed 12/06/2022)
    • Carli Torsion Sway bar (not needed)
    • Carli HDX 1,800-2,000 lb leaf spring upgrade (purchased, installation in June 2023)
  • 37" tires and wheels (brand tbd)
    • Method 305 NV HD + Falken Wildpeak 37s (completed 12/06/2022)
  • American Chassis Octane Series Rear bumper dual swingout arms (ordered / delivery late January 2023)
  • Add skid plates where needed (need help to determine!!!!!!)
  • Install 12,000 Winch (Ford/Warn OEM) (completed 12/27/2022)
    • Replace stock front bumper with Buckstop Prerunner steel bumper down the road (or similar if I can find it in aluminum)
  • Add a light bar or other lights (tbd) - undecided what specifically
  • SuperTramp Flagship LT camper (ordered - expected delivery July-ish 2023)
    • Replace MaxxAir fan with Dometic 12v AC
    • Add 2,000 Watt Inverter
    • Add 3-4 additional Battleborn heated batteries
    • Install 270 degree awning
    • Install Rotopax or Jerry Cans for extra fuel
    • Debated to by the 58 Gallon tank upgrade, but the cost and value don’t add up enough
    • And I would be losing some ground clearance
Take the truck offroad and test its limits. Learn from there.

• Build rear seat area platform for doggie (potentially covered already)
  • Add secondary fridge to truck (below platform in rear passenger area / recommendations needed for something that is not too tall)
  • Add train horn for safety (connected to Switch-Pros 9100 switch and use the phone app to trigger air horn when needed)
  • Camper: Install 270 awning
  • Camper: Install external storage box to rear molle panel
Summer 2023: My son will finish high school and head off to college. The camper will be delivered hopefully in July. It is just the dog and me at that point. I am planning to start traveling with short weekend getaways at first and slowly extend to week-long trips. Adjust truck setup and camper as I go. Then extend the length of trips. Work remotely and travel in the lower 48 using StarLink Internet.

Last edited:
Wow, that is an impressive and ambitious undertaking. It looks like you've thought it out pretty well. Obviously much still to be determined and "adjustments" and additional accessories as you shake it all down. I don't have much to offer at the moment but will definitely be following. Thanks for sharing and good luck! 🍻

PS - One thing to consider is that south of the border, especially in South America, as well as Australia and New Zealand, diesel may have be a better choice, but I'm no expert on this, just what I've heard and read over the years.

You might want to look into one of these

I would seriously look at upgrading the Pintop suspension & get the Carli E Venture with the HD spring pack and air bags
I thought about it, but would I really need it if I am not planning to do high-speed Raptor-style driving? I watched the CJC Offroad videos for both and I am not sure really that it would add that much value. I am debating to go up there (it's about 2 hours drive from where I live) and meet with them in person. I talked to them via email and they steered me towards the Pintop and the HDX leaf spring upgrade (1,800 - 2,000 lb).

Winch Update
Stopped by Ford to order the winch and price went up from $3,000 to $3,416. Installation through Ford is about $600. WARN has several 12K lb winches listed on their website and they all seem to be cheaper. I wonder what makes the Ford/Warn Performance winch so special?

Almost worth considering to upgrade the front bumper and go with a 16,500 lb winch?! Argh - I need to print more money (lol - just kidding).

Winch Update
Stopped by Ford to order the winch and price went up from $3,000 to $3,416. Installation through Ford is about $600. WARN has several 12K lb winches listed on their website and they all seem to be cheaper. I wonder what makes the Ford/Warn Performance winch so special?

Almost worth considering to upgrade the front bumper and go with a 16,500 lb winch?! Argh - I need to print more money (lol - just kidding).

I wouldn’t even consider the factory winch if you are considering an aftermarket bumper in the future. The factory winch has a proprietary mounting pattern, and is not compatible with aftermarket bumpers as of now. Besides the $2K you save with a Warn 12K Zeon goes a long ways towards a nice bumper right now.

I wouldn’t even consider the factory winch if you are considering an aftermarket bumper in the future. The factory winch has a proprietary mounting pattern, and is not compatible with aftermarket bumpers as of now. Besides the $2K you save with a Warn 12K Zeon goes a long ways towards a nice bumper right now.
Valid point. Need to fit this into my built plan.

Going to order the Carli suspension later this week. 6 weeks lead time for some of the parts. When that is in I will decide on the wheels and then order the rear bumper and the 37" wheels and tires.

PS: I found the factory winch online for ~$2.2K + tax + shipping. Another dealer has it listed for ~$2.7K. My local shop charges about $750 for the installation.

Feel like I’m pretty aware of all the new campers out there (have a built out OVRLND on my GMC). But that super tramp is slick! First I’ve heard of it. Kinda want a hardside for the tremor, but the insulation on the supertramp seems similar to a OEV Camp X. Which I’ve heard is pretty great.

Feel like I’m pretty aware of all the new campers out there (have a built out OVRLND on my GMC). But that super tramp is slick! First I’ve heard of it. Kinda want a hardside for the tremor, but the insulation on the supertramp seems similar to a OEV Camp X. Which I’ve heard is pretty great.
I flew out to Denver (Golden, CO) and visited their location. They showed me the entire manufacturing process in detail. I was very impressed with their attention to detail and thoughts they put into the product. It is a premium price, but I also consider it a premium product and for my plans I think it is a great choice. I am concerned about high center of gravity, but I think I will be fine.

+2 on that 58 gal transfer flow tank. Cuz you just never know.
Also think the winch is a must have wither thou goest.
I am really torn. I definitely see it as beneficial, but I think I may push this one out first and see what limits I run into. I will go offroad, but need to identify if the extra cost (and slight impact on the clearance) are worth the extended range. My local offroad shop is teaming up with a local metal manufacturing company and maybe I just get a custom made auxiliary tank or so.

I will order the winch later this month.

I went offroading last weekend (Palomar Divide Truck Trail/High Point Trail) and got a minor scratch from pin-striping. To be expected, but ordered some hedge clippers with expandable grip/handle to allow to clip some bushes/branches aka do some trail maintenance ;-). Amazing what all fits into the under-rear seat storage.

So far I have the following under the rear seat:
  1. First Aid Kit
  2. Recovery rope + 2 soft shackles
  3. Compressor Accessories incl. hose
  4. Jack + basic tools
  5. Branch cutter + hedge clipper
  6. Tire Repair Kit

Hi sounds like a great build & trip planned. Good truck choice.

Got a couple ideas to float by ya.
1.S&B makes a larger fuel tank that replaces the stock tank. Increase up to 60 gallons I think.
2. If your going to be doing that much driving, I would stick to 35” tires for fuel mileage & power.
Just saying, especially with the extra weight.
Don’t get me wrong I love the way 37” tires look on the SuperDuty too.
3. I had a 19 F250 with a full 2.5” Carli kit front & rear. Loved the ride, but for handling I would not do the front Carli sway bar. It’s not needed and when pulling a large trailer or with a heavy load in the back, I hated the sway & lose steering. I took off the Carli sway bar & put the stock sway bar back on. Way better, big improvement in handling.
Just my thoughts tho.
Good luck with the project.

Hi sounds like a great build & trip planned. Good truck choice.

Got a couple ideas to float by ya.
1.S&B makes a larger fuel tank that replaces the stock tank. Increase up to 60 gallons I think.
2. If your going to be doing that much driving, I would stick to 35” tires for fuel mileage & power.
Just saying, especially with the extra weight.
Don’t get me wrong I love the way 37” tires look on the SuperDuty too.
3. I had a 19 F250 with a full 2.5” Carli kit front & rear. Loved the ride, but for handling I would not do the front Carli sway bar. It’s not needed and when pulling a large trailer or with a heavy load in the back, I hated the sway & lose steering. I took off the Carli sway bar & put the stock sway bar back on. Way better, big improvement in handling.
Just my thoughts tho.
Good luck with the project.
You make a good point about the sway bar or Carli in general. I get the ride quality and all that stuff is important. I am planning to do a lot of offroading and I am concerned that the truck will act soft and lean in certain directions when I go across larger obstacles. That is also where the 37s come into play as I want to make sure I have enough ground clearance. I am not planning to do rock crawling, but I hope to take this truck to trails rated 5, maybe even 6. I may have to see if I can go up to CJC Offroad in Long Beach and to see how their Tremor truck behaves.

Window tint completed today. 35% all around (on top of factory tint in the rear), 70% on the windshield. Did not do the moon roof. $950 out the door (Auto Pro SD in Vista, CA).

Attachments

• IMG_6641.JPG
    IMG_6641.JPG
    293.3 KB · Views: 137
  • IMG_6642 (1).JPG
    IMG_6642 (1).JPG
    238.5 KB · Views: 157
  • IMG_6644.JPG
    IMG_6644.JPG
    418.3 KB · Views: 162
  • IMG_6645.JPG
    IMG_6645.JPG
    394.6 KB · Views: 168
  • IMG_6648.JPG
    IMG_6648.JPG
    285.1 KB · Views: 151
Ordered the Ford/Warn OEM winch from https://www.levittownfordparts.com/. I am expecting 30-60 days lead time, maybe even more. I am planning to self install this thing when it comes in.

Tomorrow I am driving up to CJC Offroad in Long Beach. I hope to experience their Tremor with the E-Venture Carli suspensions. Getting all my questions ready for them. :)

Back