Project Shadowfax

Ditto. Was also wanting to add a driver and passenger side AMP step. I just need to relocate my remote fuel filter though for the driver's side since the AMP step bolts in the same location as my HSM fuel filter housing.
Thats easy just sell the diesel and get a 7.3 like I did. :) . I really like my power steps. don't think you could have ever convinced me to pay for them if I hadn't gotten a great deal on my first 250 that already had them. no I don't think I could not have them

how is that showing 486 to empty, I'm showing 14.5 mpg now and still only says 425 to empty
That was a while ago, but I suspect it’s because my more recent driving had notably better fuel economy. The picture is of the trip meter for the whole trip, but the last 4 hours or so of that would have been mostly downhill and flat, which likely skewed the reading.

How are you liking the steps? They ever fall down on their own Offroad?
Ditto. Was also wanting to add a driver and passenger side AMP step. I just need to relocate my remote fuel filter though for the driver's side since the AMP step bolts in the same location as my HSM fuel filter housing.
Love them love them love them! Honestly so worth it. Makes access to the bed so easy. And maybe this is just me, but I think they’re a lot better than the GM-style steps built into the bumper and side of the bed. That would still be quite a reach, whereas with these steps dropping down it’s super easy.

Never had them drop down inadvertently. Closest thing to that is forgetting to put a side step up one time, but that’s on me. I also have no concerns about them coming down unless it’s a massive hit. Big enough hit that I would be far more worried about suspension bits than my side steps at that point.

Why the switch to yellow? Off topic but curious if you have any plans to add a tuner
Yellow is supposed to better cut through fog and other inclement weather. The factory fog/driving lights are pretty much useless IMO, at least with the factory LEDs, so this was my attempt to make them useful.

Reality is I won’t have useful fog or driving lights until I upgrade to the Baja Designs ones, but that won’t be for a while (I have more important places to put $1000 right now).

As for a tuner, absolutely no intent or desire to add one ever. One more device to purchase and keep track of. Carries risk whenever the truck goes into the dealership with regards to warranty; or them wiping the tune, but the tuner expecting a tune to be on the truck and its stock tune not matching what the dealer did, etc.

Add to all of that the only way to see gains would be to run premium fuel, which I don’t run anyways because of the cost and gains I don’t need (if I’m ever towing heavy enough to meaningfully slow down the 7.3L, I’m happy to slow down) and nothing about a tuner makes sense for me.

I actually had a tuner for my old F-150. Main reason was to adjust the speedometer for the slightly taller tires I put on and I figured why not get a tuner at the same time. Ran into all the concerns above, and ironically if I wanted to run 87 octane rather than premium the only tune available decreased the towing capacity of the truck. And to adjust the speedometer a full tune needed to be applied.

That was a while ago, but I suspect it’s because my more recent driving had notably better fuel economy. The picture is of the trip meter for the whole trip, but the last 4 hours or so of that would have been mostly downhill and flat, which likely skewed the reading.

Love them love them love them! Honestly so worth it. Makes access to the bed so easy. And maybe this is just me, but I think they’re a lot better than the GM-style steps built into the bumper and side of the bed. That would still be quite a reach, whereas with these steps dropping down it’s super easy.

Never had them drop down inadvertently. Closest thing to that is forgetting to put a side step up one time, but that’s on me. I also have no concerns about them coming down unless it’s a massive hit. Big enough hit that I would be far more worried about suspension bits than my side steps at that point.

Yellow is supposed to better cut through fog and other inclement weather. The factory fog/driving lights are pretty much useless IMO, at least with the factory LEDs, so this was my attempt to make them useful.

Reality is I won’t have useful fog or driving lights until I upgrade to the Baja Designs ones, but that won’t be for a while (I have more important places to put $1000 right now).

As for a tuner, absolutely no intent or desire to add one ever. One more device to purchase and keep track of. Carries risk whenever the truck goes into the dealership with regards to warranty; or them wiping the tune, but the tuner expecting a tune to be on the truck and its stock tune not matching what the dealer did, etc.

Add to all of that the only way to see gains would be to run premium fuel, which I don’t run anyways because of the cost and gains I don’t need (if I’m ever towing heavy enough to meaningfully slow down the 7.3L, I’m happy to slow down) and nothing about a tuner makes sense for me.

I actually had a tuner for my old F-150. Main reason was to adjust the speedometer for the slightly taller tires I put on and I figured why not get a tuner at the same time. Ran into all the concerns above, and ironically if I wanted to run 87 octane rather than premium the only tune available decreased the towing capacity of the truck. And to adjust the speedometer a full tune needed to be applied.
That's a good point on the GM bedside and bumper steps, they're the same height, if not HIGHER than the fixed running boards which isn't ergonomic. The '23 Ford SD will be the same way.

Last edited:
That's a good point on the GM bedside and bumper steps, they're the same height, if not HIGHER than the fixed running boards which isn't ergonomic. The '23 Ford SD will be the same way.
Yep! Certainly better than nothing, and they have the durability advantage since they don’t move, but also aren’t particularly low. Trade-offs.

Yep! Certainly better than nothing, and they have the durability advantage since they don’t move, but also aren’t particularly low. Trade-offs.
I think you have me sold on getting three AMP steps. Two bedsteps, and the one corner bumper step.

Those are all my concerns about a tuner as well, especially the warranty concerns. I just hear good stuff about the 5 star for shifting and pedal response. Then again I've heard bad stuff about it to so I'm still on the fence.

Those are all my concerns about a tuner as well, especially the warranty concerns. I just hear good stuff about the 5 star for shifting and pedal response. Then again I've heard bad stuff about it to so I'm still on the fence.
I guess it depends how big of an issue those things are for you. I've had no issues with pedal response or shifting, so the only reason for me to get a tuner would be potential power gains.

If you're having problems with pedal response and/or shifting, then maybe it's more worthwhile.

I guess it depends how big of an issue those things are for you. I've had no issues with pedal response or shifting, so the only reason for me to get a tuner would be potential power gains.

If you're having problems with pedal response and/or shifting, then maybe it's more worthwhile.
No problems with it just want it to be instant so I can burn more gas lol

I think you have me sold on getting three AMP steps. Two bedsteps, and the one corner bumper step.
I have all 3 now. Honestly, i barely use them. I can get everything from the diamondback 13 deep bin just by reaching in standing on the ground. I’m 6’4”, maybe thats why. But my wife 5’2”, she used them a couple of times to get stuff out of the bin. And the bumper back step, i only used it to get onto the DB top to walk on it, never to reach into the bed.

I have all 3 now. Honestly, i barely use them. I can get everything from the diamondback 13 deep bin just by reaching in standing on the ground. I’m 6’4”, maybe thats why. But my wife 5’2”, she used them a couple of times to get stuff out of the bin. And the bumper back step, i only used it to get onto the DB top to walk on it, never to reach into the bed.
That’s wild. I’m 6’2”, so a bit shorter than you, but not by much. There’s no way I could get anything of any weight out of the center of the bin without getting up higher, and even if it’s light it’s just awkward. Would need to have my body pressed against the side of the truck.

Same thing stepping up on the tailgate. Sure I can get up there without a step, but far more convenient with it. And the corner step is so much faster/easier to deploy compared to Ford’s integrated step.

That’s wild. I’m 6’2”, so a bit shorter than you, but not by much. There’s no way I could get anything of any weight out of the center of the bin without getting up higher, and even if it’s light it’s just awkward. Would need to have my body pressed against the side of the truck.

Same thing stepping up on the tailgate. Sure I can get up there without a step, but far more convenient with it. And the corner step is so much faster/easier to deploy compared to Ford’s integrated step.
To be fair, i dont have any serious weight in the bin yet. Mostly blankets, bags with clothes, etc. easy to grab with a finger:) but you’re right, for heavier items, i would use a step on either side for more security.

No problems with it just want it to be instant so I can burn more gas lol
@Rooster if you don't have one yet, the pedal monster is very satisfying as far as instant throttle response. In "track" mode the truck is quite sporty, will make you giggle the first few times. Then you see the mileage effect and the giggle goes away. But the nice thing is it's practically plug n play and you don't need the fancy dash gauge to use it, just a smart phone. And lastly in normal mode the truck is running stock programming, and it's totally benign in that when you unplug it, it's as thought it was never installed.

@Rooster if you don't have one yet, the pedal monster is very satisfying as far as instant throttle response. In "track" mode the truck is quite sporty, will make you giggle the first few times. Then you see the mileage effect and the giggle goes away. But the nice thing is it's practically plug n play and you don't need the fancy dash gauge to use it, just a smart phone. And lastly in normal mode the truck is running stock programming, and it's totally benign in that when you unplug it, it's as thought it was never installed.
I did ask my dealer about that said the tuner would void my warranty, which was a good indication i would have a fight on my hands if i came in for anything. I asked about the pedal monster and they said no issues so sounds like that's probably the cheapest and safest way to burn more gas lol. I take it you are enjoying yours?

I did ask my dealer about that said the tuner would void my warranty, which was a good indication i would have a fight on my hands if i came in for anything. I asked about the pedal monster and they said no issues so sounds like that's probably the cheapest and safest way to burn more gas lol. I take it you are enjoying yours?
Only when I'm feeling frisky. :cool: Even the mid range settings are noticeable. It does show you just how detuned the factory mapping is. It will definitely drink the petrol when you play hard with it. But like I said earlier, a couple strokes on your smart phone and it becomes a mild gas guzzler again. 😁 🍻

Last edited:
Shadowfax got to do some towing today for Search and Rescue! Not the first time towing for search and rescue, but by far the coolest trailer we have IMO. You military guys will appreciate this, I think:

82AB00D8-08BA-4134-828D-F8A012D5F5BA.jpeg

C81E2277-99F0-4727-8420-3B874938D634.jpeg

BB93FB32-9AC3-4733-A465-C2B049784DF4.jpeg

For folks who aren’t familiar, that’s a DRASH tent trailer. On the back it has two large tents that can be deployed. Up front the trailer has an integrated, large (I believe 35kW) generator along with an HVAC system.

Trailer tires are 37x12.50 military tires. Makes the factory size Tremor tires look small lol.

Towed it to a training exercise the Dogs unit are doing so they have a cooling shelter available if they need it. The truck towed it amazingly well. Super stable, and gobs of power. This isn’t surprising considering the trailer is roughly 6000 pounds, but still fun to experience.

Worth noting: Weigh Safe doesn’t condone using the pintle adapter in the rise position. On the other hand, there’s no restrictions to using the tow balls in the rise position. I reached out about why the difference and it’s because the pintle adapter has extra height to it.

Considering I was towing a 6000 pound trailer with a hitch setup rated for 18,000 pounds with a ball (and the pintle adapter is rated the same in the drop position) I made the decision to run in the rise position only half-way up the shank. That’s a lot of safety factor.

Last edited:
Shadowfax got to do some towing today for Search and Rescue! Not the first time towing for search and rescue, but by far the coolest trailer we have IMO. You military guys will appreciate this, I think:

View attachment 59466

View attachment 59465

View attachment 59467

For folks who aren’t familiar, that’s a DRASH tent trailer. On the back it has two large tents that can be deployed. Up front the trailer has an integrated, large (I believe 35kW) generator along with an HVAC system.

Trailer tires are 37x12.50 military tires. Makes the factory size Tremor tires look small lol.

Towed it to a training exercise the Dogs unit are doing so they have a cooling shelter available if they need it. The truck towed it amazingly well. Super stable, and gobs of power. This isn’t surprising considering the trailer is roughly 6000 pounds, but still fun to experience.

Worth noting: Weigh Safe doesn’t condone using the pintle adapter in the rise position. On the other hand, there’s no restrictions to using the tow balls in the rise position. I reached out about why the difference and it’s because the pintle adapter has extra height to it.

Considering I was towing a 6000 pound trailer with a hitch setup rated for 18,000 pounds with a ball (and the pintle adapter is rated the same in the drop position) I made the decision to run in the rise position only half-way up the shank. That’s a lot of safety factor.
That is way cool... Do you have any pics of it deployed??

My mods list follows. I will do my best to keep this updated over time as things are installed onto the truck, and new ideas come to mind. I'm also maintaining a large backlog of modifications that may happen in the future, but this post will document the ones that will definitely happen.

Mods will move from one of the priority tables to purchased and finally to installed as their state dictates.

Priority 0 - Immediately after getting the truck, essentially as part of purchase

CategoryModificationReason
ElectricalWinch relayProtect the truck before any damage is done.
ExteriorRemove running board chromeFree, easy, looks good.
ElectricalDual-band ham radioWanted for Search and Rescue. Transfer from old truck.
ElectricalCB RadioWanted for Search and Rescue.
ElectricalRemote battery connectionAllows truck to be powered up to unlock doors once Jimmi Jammer is installed.

Priority 1 - Definitely happening when funds and time are available

MechanicalPowerStop pads and rotorsReduces brake dust that will harm the wheels, along with better stopping power.
ExteriorTailgate seal.Dust is annoying.
ElectricalAmber strobesSafety when on the side of the road is good, and valuable for Search and Rescue.
InteriorEmbroidered headrests (just the front)Bring some Tremor into the interior, and will happen at the same time as the tilt headrests.
ExteriorBlack vinyl wrap tailgate handleLooks good, and will be the last piece of chrome.

Priority 2 - Probably happening, but no rush

ElectricalRear dually clearance lightsLooks good.
MechanicalStainless Works Legend cat-back exhaustGood sounds are good.
ElectricalReverse lights (on an upfitter switch)Helpful at night
ElectricalSpot lamp override adapterSide lighting is handy at any speed, and while truck is off.
MechanicalBillet valve and coil coversLook amazing.
ForscanReduce minimum tire pressureIt's likely I'll want to run pressures lower than the warning allows.

Purchased Modifications

ExteriorJimmi JammerProtect the truck before any damage is done.
ElectricalDash camProtect the truck before any damage is done.
RecoveryWinch recovery kitCan't use the winch without it.
ExteriorTonneau Cover and ToolboxNeeded for winter ski season to protect gear.
ExteriorHitch Reducer SleeveGood to have on hand, and relatively cheap.

Completed Modifications

Electrical

ModificationReasonInstall Post
Disable tracking (pull fuse for modem)Nobody needs to be tracked.
Noco block heater plugCheap, easy, and handy if I need to use the block heater
Reroute block heater cordFactory positioning is vulnerable, so protect it before it's damaged
Extra key fobEnables programming a new fob if one is damaged, and acts as a valet key

Exterior

Rear license plate frameCheap, looks good, replaces dealer frame if they put one on.
Red winch hook strapKeeps the red theme, replacing the blue Ford Performance one.
Amp Research side bed stepsUseful for toolbox access
Paint Protection FilmProtect the truck before any damage is doneN/A
7.3L Godzilla BadgesLooks awesome
Black tailgate lettersLooks awesome
Safety chain shacklesLikely needed for towing
Yellow fog light coversCheap holdover until Baja Designs fog lights can be purchased
Front license plate mount (tow hook)Required by law and the factory bracket doesn't work.
3PMS TiresNeeded for SAR response and wanted for winter driving.
Locking lug nutsSecurity is good and they match the look perfectly
Weigh Safe Ball Mount (steel, 8" drop, 3 ball sizes and pintle)Robust and flexible for when I need to tow.
Winch hook isolatorPrevent damage to the tow hook paint, protect the winch rope, and improve looks.
Fuel cap holderFuel cap tether was infuriating.
Gatorback Gunmetal Mud FlapsLook great and needed to spend Ford Pass Points on something.

Forscan​

Notes:
  • This is not a guide. See the Forscan section of the forum for help with performing Forscan changes.
  • For as-built values, the character I changed is bolded. Note that the last two characters will also have changed, but that was automatically done since they are a checksum.

ModuleGoalSetting Name (plaintext) or Address (as-built)Original ValueModified ValueModification Post
APIMRemove Sirius/XM source7D0-01-01A081 0802 FD018081 0802 FDE1N/A
BCMDisable double-honk when exiting running truck with keyDouble Honk On Leaving Cabin1 - Enabled0 - Disabled
BCMLower TPMS to 60 PSI (note: front is at 60 PSI from factory)TPM- Placard Rear, PSI7560N/A
IPCDisable triple ding at startup720-01-02221B 90F7221B 92F9
IPCAdd temperatures above gauges720-07-018409 0AA0 086E8409 0A50 081E
SCCMReduce turn signal flash count to 1724-01-01002C 4628 C7002C 4028 C1

Interior

Cup holder ambient lightingFixes Ford's cheapness for not much money, and I already have the inserts that work with the ambient lighting
Tremor cup holder insertsCheap and look awesome

Mechanical

Catch canProtect the truck before any damage is done.
Oil Drain ValveCleans up oil changes with the skid plate.
Engine/Transmission Skid PlateProtect the truck before any damage is done.
Carli front differential guardProtect the truck before any damage is done.
Grease fitting capsProtect the grease zerks and make future greasing easier
Black lug nutsLooks good, particularly without hub caps
Interior front bumper coversHelps protect the inside of the front bumper from debris kicked up by the tires.

Upfitter Switches

Related to modifications, I've been thinking through what I will want on my upfitter switches. Not everything on this list will fit, and I will need to prioritize as time goes on.
:ROFLMAO:...do you think there is any possibly that you could have left anything out......wow....birthdays etc,etc....lol

That is way cool... Do you have any pics of it deployed??
I don’t! I have yet to see it deployed (note that only means it hasn’t been deployed this calendar year; I have been in SAR very long).

I’ll grab a picture on Sunday when I go to bring it back to HQ, but it will just be the uncovered trailer, not the tent. In this case we’re using it as a generator and HVAC unit for an (still large) inflatable tent we have. Inflatable tent requires far fewer people to setup and we didn’t need the double-wall insulation that the DRASH tent provides.

The last time the DRASH tent itself was deployed was during a heat wave to act as a public cooling shelter for people with pets in particular. This is before I was in the unit so I don’t know lots of details, but I know it performed extremely well.

Back