Project Shadowfax

I think you have been spending too much virtual time with @BroncoHooves

Sorry, man that really stinks... :(
It's true! We both wind up with significant painting, both have troubles with tonneau covers being damaged on arrival. I suppose we both basically have a heads up for problems now, though? If one person has a problem with something, the other can prepare for it? :p

I suppose we both basically have a heads up for problems now, though? If one person has a problem with something, the other can prepare for it?
Yes, that is a nice positive attitute!!! :)

View attachment 41184Outside installing the Diamondback cover on Shadowfax, and just discovered this on the front panel. :(

Obviously it took one hell of a hit during shipping. Will be reaching out to Diamondback for a new panel.
Update on this. Submitted their online form for shipping damage last night, had an email waiting for me first thing this morning. Diamondback is replacing the whole cover. Would have been shipped this week, but I asked them not to ship it out until after the holidays when I can deal with it which wasn’t a problem for them.

Extremely impressed with their responsiveness as well as the lack of pushback considering it’s been a while since it was delivered. Would recommend Diamondback for their customer service!

Picked up Shadowfax this afternoon from getting Xpel PPF put on! They did everything except the drivers side of the truck, since the paint is still curing there. It looks like they didn't do anything, which is exactly how it should be. ;)

Though in addition to the Xpel had them put on the 7.3L Godzilla badge I got from @Billet Badges (only on the passenger side; drivers side will go on when the PPF goes on there). It looks amazing! Absolutely love it!

Also had them put on the blacked out "Super Duty" letters on the tailgate. Thanks @BroncoHooves for the pictures of your truck. Definitely sold me on it, and seeing it in person now I'm very happy to have the black letters!

I'll post up pictures tomorrow when I can get some in the daylight. And hopefully it won't be raining, but that's probably asking for too much here in the PNW. :p

Pictures! Here’s the badging and the blacked out tailgate letters.

F3451D16-0DE2-4FAB-A512-F93E39EA7118.jpeg
E3F07FCD-9213-422F-9B56-7F380DD00A93.jpeg
A5E254E3-2A68-4DF5-A391-F0B8BDA08A16.jpeg
D1E3AF7E-1B10-47E8-84A4-7A20008DEB27.jpeg

Parts:

Last edited:
Apparently not! Honestly forgot that was an option. They are Black Metallic.
Ah! They do look matte black from the pic. I chose gloss to match the sheen of the black Ford oval and the gloss of the clearcoat.

Ah! They do look matte black from the pic. I chose gloss to match the sheen of the black Ford oval and the gloss of the clearcoat.
Makes sense. Honestly don’t know what I would prefer if I saw them side-by-side, but I’m stoked with how they look in front of me. :D

Now you need dually light bar next.
Nope, next is electrical first thing in the new year so I can get my radios up and running. And I need to save my pennies because that whole project will cost me a couple of grand.

Though dually light bar is on the long term list!

Shackles came in today to solve the problem of hooking up trailer safety chains to the 2.5” receiver, where hooks often won’t fit.

My requirement for the shackles was they needed to be able to fit such that the bow of the shackle is around the receiver and the safety chain hooks to the pin of the shackle. This way the shackle is free to rotate, reducing side loading.

Additionally, I wanted a locking pin. This guarantees the pin won’t come loose as a result of vibrations or the hook rotating on the pin, unlike a screw pin.

The shackles come with a cotter pin to secure the nut, but that’s a pain for repeated use. Instead I picked up a couple of 3/16 - 1 1/4” linch pins to use.

Edit: learned in the discussion thread linked below that linch pins aren’t the best for high vibration situations. Figuring out an alternative in that thread.

4EF1F649-8375-43BE-ACE0-5A91D91A42FF.jpeg
E90D9761-1E9F-4D2E-BB44-B6D13D89439A.jpeg

Parts:
You can read the full exploration to settle on these shackles here:

Last edited:
5B69C851-50D0-4931-9954-5DA3C5C065E2.jpeg
Cup holder lighting installed! Dammit Ford, should’ve done this at the factory. Also put in the Tremor cup holder inserts I got months ago, when Shadowfax was still a twinkle in Ford’s eye.

Super stoked with the results. Huge thank you to @JHForman812 for the install guide (linked below) and @SomethingRandom for getting me a harness (link below to his guide to making your own).

The install was a major PITA mainly with getting the center, silver trim off/on. Feels terrible, but it works. Ended up routing to the passenger side at the advice of @SomethingRandom. Dropping the glove box made it super easy to access the connector for the footwell light.

Wire routing was interesting, though doable. Pushed the connector under the center console roughly midway along. Used a screw driver to compress the flooring and make room for the connector.

Word of warning so you don’t freak yourself out during early testing: if you have push button start, the truck will say “No key detected” as long as the key module in the center console is unplugged. Doesn’t matter where your key is. Plug that back in and you’ll be back in business.

No parts list for this one since the guides have those. Here’s links to the guides:

And last mod for today, installed the Laminx amber lens covers for the fog lights. They’re fine for the price, but the effect is less than I was hoping for. Honestly suspect they’re balancing color with light output. Too much color and you take away too much light given the factory lights aren’t overly bright.

Install was easy, just a nuisance to get the second end in without creases since the glue starts to stick. A right angle pick helped greatly with that.

Before and after shots. The effect is definitely more noticeable in person than the pictures reflect.

D398F996-4989-4224-96D6-574B406365B3.jpeg
E41E1ACC-2E16-42E4-904D-A632A342103A.jpeg

Parts:

Pictures! Here’s the badging and the blacked out tailgate letters.

View attachment 41600View attachment 41601View attachment 41602View attachment 41603

Parts:
I honesty dont know why they wouldnt put the 7.3 godzilla badges from the factory just like that. Why put 6.7 powerstroke but not 7.3 godzilla. That aside, you made it look very nice.

I honesty dont know why they wouldnt put the 7.3 godzilla badges from the factory just like that. Why put 6.7 powerstroke but not 7.3 godzilla. That aside, you made it look very nice.
Honestly don’t know. EcoBoost gets a badge as well, so it’s not like badges are exclusive to the diesel. The only thing I can think of is they never came up with an actual marketing name for the Godzilla.

Godzilla is more akin to a code name, similar to Coyote. Those don’t get badges since Ford isn’t marketing them with those names.

Thank you, though!

Honestly don’t know. EcoBoost gets a badge as well, so it’s not like badges are exclusive to the diesel. The only thing I can think of is they never came up with an actual marketing name for the Godzilla.

Godzilla is more akin to a code name, similar to Coyote. Those don’t get badges since Ford isn’t marketing them with those names.

Thank you, though!
Exactly! and now even the hybrid f150 powerboost got a badge. Maybe send them a photo and the’ll reconsider for MY23?:) Unless of course godzilla branding requires some special pattern rights they cant easily obtain.

Latest Discussions

Back