Project Shadowfax

Something with the maintenance plan that I've been mulling over is what oil and filter do I want to run after break-in. I like the idea of Amsoil - particularly since it's a one-stop-shop for all oils and filters, including for my RX-7 and even my lawn mower. But to keep things simple with the truck, I'm going to go with:
  • Oil: Motorcraft 5w-30 full synthetic
  • Filter: Motorcraft
Settled on Motorcraft for a few reasons:
  • While it may not be the literal best there is, it's still pretty good.
  • It eliminates any possible questions around oil and filter with regards to warranty.
  • It keeps the option open to have an oil change done at the dealership. All I need to specify is for them to use full synthetic. While I intend on doing most oil changes myself, it's nice to know I can get it done on the road or at the same time as more major services that I'm having done at the dealership.
Additionally, as documented in the following thread, I settled on using AirTec Li400 grease for the front-end (from Lube-Shuttle).

All of these parts have been documented in the main maintenance plan post.

Last edited:
Something with the maintenance plan that I've been mulling over is what oil and filter do I want to run after break-in. I like the idea of Amsoil - particularly since it's a one-stop-shop for all oils and filters, including for my RX-7 and even my lawn mower. But to keep things simple with the truck, I'm going to go with:
  • Oil: Motorcraft 5w-30 full synthetic
  • Filter: Motorcraft
Settled on Motorcraft for a few reasons:
  • While it may not be the literal best there is, it's still pretty good.
  • It eliminates any possible questions around oil and filter with regards to warranty.
  • It keeps the option open to have an oil change done at the dealership. All I need to specify is for them to use full synthetic. While I intend on doing most oil changes myself, it's nice to know I can get it done on the road or at the same time as more major services that I'm having done at the dealership.
Additionally, as documented in the following thread, I settled on using AirTec Li400 grease for the front-end (from Lube-Shuttle).

All of these parts have been documented in the main maintenance plan post.
Are there only 2 grease fittings total on our trucks? That's not bad if so!

Are there only 2 grease fittings total on our trucks? That's not bad if so!
Yep! One per front wheel bearing.

The F-450 has 9 or so grease fittings, so we're really not doing too bad at all. :D

Confused on all these lube shuttle and lock n lube terms.

Seems to be a few dozen different things to buy?
At a bare minimum you need a grease gun (any grease gun) with appropriate grease. The Ford official grease for the front end is:

With those two things you can grease the front end. Of note, lots of folks use lower-quality grease with success. But obviously your mileage may vary and a Ford engineer somewhere will frown every time you grease your truck. :p

Lock-N-Lube is a brand that is most known for their grease gun tip that locks onto the fitting. Means you don't have to hold pressure on the fitting and, if properly attached, won't pop off and have grease going everywhere. They also sell a bunch of other greasing accessories and their own grease guns.

Lube-Shuttle is a German company that did their own take on the grease gun by making the grease cartridges resealable, and easily changed without mess. The grease they sell is also known to be high quality, and the Li400 I have linked in my maintenance post is their highest quality grease. It's a direct replacement for the Motorcraft grease, but can be used in almost any application.

Here's the kit I got:

At a bare minimum you need a grease gun (any grease gun) with appropriate grease. The Ford official grease for the front end is:

With those two things you can grease the front end. Of note, lots of folks use lower-quality grease with success. But obviously your mileage may vary and a Ford engineer somewhere will frown every time you grease your truck. :p

Lock-N-Lube is a brand that is most known for their grease gun tip that locks onto the fitting. Means you don't have to hold pressure on the fitting and, if properly attached, won't pop off and have grease going everywhere. They also sell a bunch of other greasing accessories and their own grease guns.

Lube-Shuttle is a German company that did their own take on the grease gun by making the grease cartridges resealable, and easily changed without mess. The grease they sell is also known to be high quality, and the Li400 I have linked in my maintenance post is their highest quality grease. It's a direct replacement for the Motorcraft grease, but can be used in almost any application.

Here's the kit I got:

Thank you :D

I guess that post from @soop with the smorgasbord of items purchased really threw me off of what's needed.

I guess that post from @soop with the smorgasbord of items purchased really threw me off of what's needed.
Ah gotcha. Ya those are all just nice-to-haves. Particularly if you're doing a lot of greasing of equipment and such, which he is.

Ah gotcha. Ya those are all just nice-to-haves. Particularly if you're doing a lot of greasing of equipment and such, which he is.
So, that travel trailer greasing kit has the cool locking coupler that's the same as lock n lube one?

So, that travel trailer greasing kit has the cool locking coupler that's the same as lock n lube one?
Yep, it's basically the same. IMO it's a bit better design since the lever can swivel 360 degrees around it, though I've yet to use either of them since I'm still waiting for my truck, don't mind the first servicing. :p

For just the truck, any $10 grease gun will do. You don’t even need a locking coupler.

I went through 3 tubes of grease on other machines this weekend. Hence the nerdery.

Sorry for the confusion. 😜

For just the truck, any $10 grease gun will do. You don’t even need a locking coupler.

I went through 3 tubes of grease on other machines this weekend. Hence the nerdery.

Sorry for the confusion. 😜
And I enjoy nerding out on and optimizing things so I wound up with the expensive Lube-Shuttle despite only having the truck to grease. :p

What? What are Isotoners?
@BroncoHooves I'm old enough to remember when these were all the rage... I think it was about the same time I was looking through the Sears Christmas catalog each year!

Update on Shadowfax. He arrived at the dealership on Thursday the 2nd, I swung by the dealership on the 3rd and saw him in the service bay for PDI (just through a window)! But then I headed out of town for a week. 😖

Got back yesterday and am coordinating to pick him up this week. I'll let y'all know when he's home, but it will be very soon!

Update on Shadowfax. He arrived at the dealership on Thursday the 2nd, I swung by the dealership on the 3rd and saw him in the service bay for PDI (just through a window)! But then I headed out of town for a week. 😖

Got back yesterday and am coordinating to pick him up this week. I'll let y'all know when he's home, but it will be very soon!

Nice!

Funny enough I'm pretty sure my truck will arrive at the dealer this week amd I'm currently several states away.

Latest Discussions

Back