MarcelM

Tremor Buff
Founding Member
Reaction Points
Current Ride
2022 Ford F250 Lariat Ultimate Tremor 7.3L
Current Ride #2
2006 Chevy Suburban
I set up Pro Trailer Backup Assist using the sticker but after a handful of attempts I have never gotten it to work. I tow our 30' travel trailer several times a year for the past 10 years so I'm ok at backing it into spots. I purchased PTBA primarily for the cameras but if it can also help me get into spots easier then I'm all for it. Plus I paid for it! Frustrated I figured I'd try to use the sensor on the travel trailer and use it to help me get the trailer into its storage spot which is tight and also requires coming in at an angle.

Using the sensor works. I didn't have the hitch angle graphic but that could be due to me needing to set up the Trailer Reverse Guidance as well. The rear camera or hitch view will tell me whether or not I need to start straightening out so not a big deal. When I started to use it I would turn the knob in the direction I would if I was using the steering wheel but once I got past that I found PTBA to be helpful. The biggest benefit was being able to just release the knob and it would allow the trailer to continue down a straight path.

What I did was create a second profile of my trailer. The primary is what I use when towing so it stores all the towing stats, it has trailer blind spot monitoring and I don't have a harness going into the truck's bed. When I feel like using the PTBA I'll plug the harness into the sensor and the other end into the bed connector, I have 5th wheel prep, and switch to my secondary trailer profile.

I haven't really seen anyone post about using the sensor with a travel trailer along with their experience so I wanted to share mine.

Edit: I did have to select Fifthwheel/Gooseneck.

Last edited:
A big part of the reason you haven't seen posts about people using the sensor for a travel trailer is that it's not supposed to work. With our Super Duty's it's only supposed to be for 5th wheel or gooseneck for whatever reason.

But that's awesome it worked for you! Thanks for sharing it!

This is a perfectly timed topic. I have been trying to figure out the answer to the question of whether the PTBA yaw sensor can be used on a conventional trailer. I find lots of examples of F150 owners doing it, but not SD. There’s conflicting info in the instructions. For example the TPMS/Camera instructions show how to mount both the yaw and TPMS/Camera on the V frame of a conventional trailer.

I just wanted to consider whether I wanted the sticker or yaw approach with my 32’ conventional TT since I’m going to add the TPMS sensor, so I’ll have a 12 pin cable connected anyways. What I’m reading here is that I won’t even get a setup option for conventional with the yaw on a SD.

Anyways, I went down a rabbit hole today and of course it’s being talked about on here. This place is awesome.

I set up Pro Trailer Backup Assist using the sticker but after a handful of attempts I have never gotten it to work. I tow our 30' travel trailer several times a year for the past 10 years so I'm ok at backing it into spots. I purchased PTBA primarily for the cameras but if it can also help me get into spots easier then I'm all for it. Plus I paid for it! Frustrated I figured I'd try to use the sensor on the travel trailer and use it to help me get the trailer into its storage spot which is tight and also requires coming in at an angle.

Using the sensor works. I didn't have the hitch angle graphic but that could be due to me needing to set up the Trailer Reverse Guidance as well. The rear camera or hitch view will tell me whether or not I need to start straightening out so not a big deal. When I started to use it I would turn the knob in the direction I would if I was using the steering wheel but once I got past that I found PTBA to be helpful. The biggest benefit was being able to just release the knob and it would allow the trailer to continue down a straight path.

What I did was create a second profile of my trailer. The primary is what I use when towing so it stores all the towing stats, it has trailer blind spot monitoring and I don't have a harness going into the truck's bed. When I feel like using the PTBA I'll plug the harness into the sensor and the other end into the bed connector, I have 5th wheel prep, and switch to my secondary trailer profile.

I haven't really seen anyone post about using the sensor with a travel trailer along with their experience so I wanted to share mine.

Are you saying the wired yaw sensor works fine with your trailer, even though you told the computer you had a 5th wheel?

I had an F150 that used the wired sensor great and wanted to do the same with my new F350. But, I just took out the trailer to set up the sensor and it would only tell me to place the stickers....even though I had the sensor plugged in. I didn't even think to try telling the system I was using a 5th wheel. Wondering if the calculations and such would be affected by the different pivot points of 5thW vs Trailer?

Are you saying the wired yaw sensor works fine with your trailer, even though you told the computer you had a 5th wheel?

I had an F150 that used the wired sensor great and wanted to do the same with my new F350. But, I just took out the trailer to set up the sensor and it would only tell me to place the stickers....even though I had the sensor plugged in. I didn't even think to try telling the system I was using a 5th wheel. Wondering if the calculations and such would be affected by the different pivot points of 5thW vs Trailer?
The yaw sensor works great on my Imagine 2800BH travel trailer. I use a ProPride hitch, which makes it tow like a 5th Wheel, so maybe that helps. But, the yaw sensor gets calibrated to the trailer, and the computer seems smart enough to figure it out. It is not possible to use the sticker method with the ProPride hitch, so it was my only choice, and it works.

That is correct but you need to connect it to the 5th wheel connection in the bed (probably the only place it connects). I don’t have anything to compare it to but it allows me to control it which is helpful especially when wanting to go straight back.

Lots of good info here I need to re-read.

I have the pro backup on my F-150. I really wanted this feature on my F-150 when I was shopping and figured it out be great. Tried it out backing up my 20’ tilt trailer and absolutely hated it. I feel backing up a trailer the old fashioned way was easier. Shopping for my super duty it wasn’t on the list of options I cared if it had.

I also spent 6 years working as a boat mechanic and spent many summers backing up trailers all day long… not saying I’m a great backer… but I can get the job done.

That is correct but you need to connect it to the 5th wheel connection in the bed (probably the only place it connects). I don’t have anything to compare it to but it allows me to control it which is helpful especially when wanting to go straight back.
I connect mine to the plugs on the bumper. You replace the stock version with the bed-type when you install the whole TPMS/Camera system harnesses, so you can use either location for any trailer. I'm sure you could just replace the connector on the bumper, if that's all you are missing. It is a 5 minute job with the right Ford part.

Yeah, I don’t think the truck cares what trailer plug is used, whether bed or bumper, since it’s just a jumper cable/splitter between the two. Glad someone figured out the yaw sensor for a conventional trailer.

I have this option and try to set it up with my Geo Pro 19 BH and have yet got it to work . A lot of money wasted at this point on this option. It a bumper pulled Rv. any words of wisdom be helpful

Great! I'm going to try this out. Plugging into the port in the bed and telling the computer I have a 5th wheel. Thanks!

Hello MarcelM. I have a new F250 with Pro Backup Assist where I can't get the stickers to even calibrate for the first time after many attempts, even with suggestions from other forums. Prior to trying to set up the stickers, I had bought from Ford Accessories the trailer camera kit which includes a long wiring harness, the special 7/12 way bumper plug special plug, and plug storage doc; but no yaw sensor. Another trailer forum member advised me to buy the Yaw Sensor kit is item number LC3T-14G621-AD which I am hoping will plug into one of the empty connectors on the new trailer camera harness, but I haven't tried it yet.

Can you elaborate a bit more on creating two trailer set-ups and how you unplug the yaw sensor to switch to standard trailer so you don't lose blindspot functionality? I have never even gotten the first one to calibrate with the stickers. Thanks in advance for the assistance. Mike

Hello MarcelM. I have a new F250 with Pro Backup Assist where I can't get the stickers to even calibrate for the first time after many attempts, even with suggestions from other forums. Prior to trying to set up the stickers, I had bought from Ford Accessories the trailer camera kit which includes a long wiring harness, the special 7/12 way bumper plug special plug, and plug storage doc; but no yaw sensor. Another trailer forum member advised me to buy the Yaw Sensor kit is item number LC3T-14G621-AD which I am hoping will plug into one of the empty connectors on the new trailer camera harness, but I haven't tried it yet.

Can you elaborate a bit more on creating two trailer set-ups and how you unplug the yaw sensor to switch to standard trailer so you don't lose blindspot functionality? I have never even gotten the first one to calibrate with the stickers. Thanks in advance for the assistance. Mike
You don't need blind spot to work with the yaw sensor. Set up one profile for towing with blind spot sensor and a different profile for backing up with the yaw sensor. Switch profiles when you backup. Super simple. That's what I did.

The truth is that I got good at backing up and I don't need the truck to help me at all. I got it all setup so that is works perfectly, but I have never used it once at a campground. I use the excellent side mirrors and the trailer camera to know what's happening. Practice in your driveway, or wherever you can find room. Don't let anyone help when you're practicing. If you've got a spouse who insists, use cell phones to talk.

I find it difficult to backup my 12 ft utility trailer at the dump. I don't have any sensors on there, but I probably should try the stickers on it.

Last edited:

@ScottK we have some differences in that I'm in a 22 and had the 5th wheel/gooseneck harness & yaw sensor included with the package. It has been a while but I created a profile for my travel trailer as the primary. The blind spot will then account for the trailer length. I created a second profile for the same trailer but identified it as a 5th wheel that would ONLY be used when I felt I needed the extra help backing into a spot. In all honesty I really wanted to just be able to use a feature I had paid for since the stickers didn't work for me. It was a novelty in the beginning because the more I towed the more experience I got and haven't felt I needed to use the PTBA.

@ScottK we have some differences in that I'm in a 22 and had the 5th wheel/gooseneck harness & yaw sensor included with the package. It has been a while but I created a profile for my travel trailer as the primary. The blind spot will then account for the trailer length. I created a second profile for the same trailer but identified it as a 5th wheel that would ONLY be used when I felt I needed the extra help backing into a spot. In all honesty I really wanted to just be able to use a feature I had paid for since the stickers didn't work for me. It was a novelty in the beginning because the more I towed the more experience I got and haven't felt I needed to use the PTBA.
That is exactly my situation. Same truck. No difference at all. Why do you say it's different? I use a ProPride hitch, which mimics the 5th wheel, although I also have the 5th wheel setup included. I added the trailer TPMS and Trailer camera as well. I mounted the Yaw sensor to my travel trailer jack post. It works perfectly in that location. I think the best use of the yaw sensor is on a short utility trailer or on a boat trailer backing down a steep ramp. Not that useful for an RV that is easy to see.

Last edited:
I have a 24 model year. It came with the PTBA and fifth wheel prep and the setup for trailer TPMS. Also came with a yaw sensor. I have a conventional camper. The TPMS kit comes with a 7/12 plug to replace the 7/4 plug in the bumper. The harness has a 12 pin and the yaw connector on one end, camera and tpms connector on the other end. Instructions show mounting the yaw sensor on a conventional trailer. I’ve watched numerous videos that show it all being set up on conventional trailers. In one video, it showed the option of fifth or conventional when setting up the yaw. Not sure on 23MY, but 24MY I fully believe it works on conventional setup, even in the menu. 22MY and older it was fifths only.

Also to add, the hitch assist works awesome on my 24MY. No sticker or anything needed. Just back up to put the hitch in the green bubble and it does the rest. Pretty neat really. Idk how it does it but it’s pretty amazing technology.

That is exactly my situation. Same truck. No difference at all. Why do you say it's different? I use a ProPride hitch, which mimics the 5th wheel, although I also have the 5th wheel setup included. I added the trailer TPMS and Trailer camera as well. I mounted the Yaw sensor to my travel trailer jack post. It works perfectly in that location. I think the best use of the yaw sensor is on a short utility trailer or on a boat trailer backing down a steep ramp. Not that useful for an RV that is easy to see.
Sorry @ScottK. I should have tagged @towvehicle

Latest Discussions

Back