"Pre-Collision Assist Not Available"

It’s still been doing it a couple miles down the highway. But yesterday it went back to full time “pre-collision assist unavailable” mode, which doesn’t allow me to disable it and bypass to normal cruise...

I checked out the module in the front, pulling the trim plastic off and wiggled the module; it did feel loose (which can be the issue). I pulled slightly, popped it out and disconnected/reconnected the wires, tried to put it back in and now the connector doesn’t even begin to look like it fits all the way back (where it’s supposed to go) because the winch mount is in the way?!! Appears the module was just barely placed back on the attachment posts.

Anyone else with a winch & collision assist confirm this mount is installed wrong/right?

Attachments

• B9EDBD41-9576-4719-B7E2-510AD9535D2D.jpeg
    B9EDBD41-9576-4719-B7E2-510AD9535D2D.jpeg
    213.1 KB · Views: 691
  • 86E656E2-2EAB-467B-A6F3-47C75218B070.jpeg
    86E656E2-2EAB-467B-A6F3-47C75218B070.jpeg
    210.2 KB · Views: 683
  • 29AA4F3C-6DF9-4E8D-81AF-D71A36E0A353.jpeg
    29AA4F3C-6DF9-4E8D-81AF-D71A36E0A353.jpeg
    279.5 KB · Views: 683
I got both of those this summer. I took it to the dealer and it was a bad module. It took two to three weeks to get it and about 3 hours of waiting to have it fixed.
9200 miles and months later, no problem at all with it.
I hope this helps!
Do you have the winch installed also? Hoping that is my issue. Picked up today and worked about halfway home from the dealership, truck has 186 Miles on it. .

Last edited:
I am new here, and new to this truck. 300 miles in and this precollision warning pops up. Right behind it his start assist warning, and the mode select is unavailable. Much like others, a quick shut down and restart it clears, but I do not want to be 1,000 miles from home and have something go astray. Great forum. Thank you

mines in the shop for the same thing.....They think it originates from the pwr steering control mod....

mines in the shop for the same thing.....They think it originates from the pwr steering control mod....
Cool. Thank you for the response, and I look forward to seeing what they do to yours!

I hope I remember to check this on my test drive this week.

Anybody have this message come up? Only had the truck about 3 weeks. Yesterday morning it came on twice on the way to work. It was below freezing and frost on the windshield.
On Ford Pass app, it says" The Collision Warning system has detected either a system fault or an obstructed radar sensor."
Then it goes on to suggest to "clean the grille surface in front of the radar sensor or remove the object causing the obstruction. If the message is displayed after the obstruction is removed, wait a short time. If the problem persists, have the system checked by an authorized dealer."

Any idea where this radar sensor is located? There was nothing blocking anything on the front of my truck. Would frost on anything cause this? It hasn't come back on since yesterday morning, but I would like to know what they're talking about. Thank you for any suggestions.
Camera below FORD oval center of grille.

mines started this way....been in the shop 2 weeks today and still not fixed.

I checked the normal Ford forum and this problem has been around for a while. 150, 350, etc. What is problematic is they seem to have about half that get resolved, and half that you cant tell. Even more confusing is the resolution to the same issue comes from numerous repairs. Steering module, this module, cleaning up the one junction box by the spare tire, popping the connection by the e brake, and also from a loose sensor. Very confusing to say the least.

Ok...after some part swapping it ended up just being the Steering Angel Sensor. I also got the recall notice on the windshield yesterday so they are addressing that now, and the truck will be ready tomorrow for pick up after a detail and full tank on them. Also today is day 15 so per Florida Lemon law one more trip to the shop for anything in the next 20 months.....Hopefully wont have any other problems! Cant wait to have her back and hauling the fifth wheel somewhere.....

WELL got the call it was ready and went to pick it up and guess what?....The pulled it around and I jumped in and started it and Every single issue it went in for, and was told was fixed, is still there....The said the road tested for 40 miles, which they did, and all was fine........SO left steaming, dealership basically said call Ford. Got home, Called Ford Corp to start the Lemon Law process, and the first person I spoke with over talked me the entire time ,and after a 2 minutes hold came back and said Ford denied the lemon law claim. When I asked why he got rude and basically told me to call an Attorney. Of course I am steaming.....Luckily we called back and got someone else to assist and he has been great. Now I learn that more than likely I will take a loss on any refund/replacement, etc. To top if off part issues and now inventory problems so I guess Ill be walking for awhile....To add to my misery I sold my home before all this started and was going full time rv life on June 1st. SO now it looks like this will take 6+ weeks to resolve on Lemon law one way or another leaving me homeless and with out a truck to pull my 5th wheel somewhere I can live....I have been a Ford guy for 40+ years and will never buy another.....I loved this truck but.....If you have repair issues I hope you fair better than I....

Unbelievable. I am fearful I should have stuck with my Duramax as this issue is all over the regular Ford discussion board. Look up Hagens Berman, as I will go to them if I get into the same issue you are having. They handled the VW TDI lawsuit and a few others with favorable results. I am hoping I can find a simple resolution to this as the dealers are not so helpful.

Last edited:
I checked all of the connections behind the parking brake, as was suggested on the main ford forum. Oddly enough the problem was semi resolved. In other words it was happening every other time, but I had seven trips without issues. So I am going to check this harness again, as well as the one back near the spare tire, again suggested on the main ford forum. I simply cannot have the dealer messing around with this for weeks until I try these simple things.

Hope this helps others, although I am 50% on whether or not this is the cure.

There is a post on Instagram I was just reading. It sounds very similar to what’s going on here.

I’ll re-post here with the OG posters screen name. You’ll have to check IG for the whole story. Maybe he/she is a member here.

Attachments

• E884DD82-2260-4678-BE5E-ED19C5BD8D7A.png
    E884DD82-2260-4678-BE5E-ED19C5BD8D7A.png
    1,002.7 KB · Views: 329
  • 8272CC86-038F-4826-BC0D-1F910698A831.png
    8272CC86-038F-4826-BC0D-1F910698A831.png
    994.6 KB · Views: 325
Did camera have frost or Ice on it?

On my very first break-in drive I got up into the clouds. It wasn't like even close to dense or even medium foggy but my system kept telling me the front camera was obstructed or sumpin. I even got out to check it and it was fine. While the OP's problem is probably more nefarious there is some glitch or over sensitivity in the camera software.

The problem is the sensor in your bumper not being level. I had the same issue with my Raptor and the dealer kept blaming on the camera in the windshield and even blamed the windshield itself. They replaced the camera twice and wanted to replace the windshield!! I kept telling them to check the level of the bumper sensor, took three weeks for the dealer to finally listen to me. After the bumper sensor was leveled the problem never happened again.

The camera in the windshield is a part of the pre-collision system, but your error message references the bumper sensor which is the exact same issue I was having.

Anybody have this message come up? Only had the truck about 3 weeks. Yesterday morning it came on twice on the way to work. It was below freezing and frost on the windshield.
On Ford Pass app, it says" The Collision Warning system has detected either a system fault or an obstructed radar sensor."
Then it goes on to suggest to "clean the grille surface in front of the radar sensor or remove the object causing the obstruction. If the message is displayed after the obstruction is removed, wait a short time. If the problem persists, have the system checked by an authorized dealer."

Any idea where this radar sensor is located? There was nothing blocking anything on the front of my truck. Would frost on anything cause this? It hasn't come back on since yesterday morning, but I would like to know what they're talking about. Thank you for any suggestions.

When my truck was having the winch installed they told me they had to re-aim (calibrate) the radar module in the bumper after installation and perform a test drive. If that was not performed the precollision and adaptive cruise would not work properly. Looking at the module you can see it has an adjuster screw for vertical angle adjustment. According to them the camera in the oval badge has nothing to do with this system, just the bumper mounted module and the camera in the windshield.

When my truck was having the winch installed they told me they had to re-aim (calibrate) the radar module in the bumper after installation and perform a test drive. If that was not performed the precollision and adaptive cruise would not work properly. Looking at the module you can see it has an adjuster screw for vertical angle adjustment. According to them the camera in the oval badge has nothing to do with this system, just the bumper mounted module and the camera in the windshield.
So this is the sensor sitting in the bumper on the driver side ? Sorry, I am trying to avoid the dealership nightmares if I were to take this in.

Reactions: ccw
Back