Powder Coating Bumpers

Mach'er

Race Red Slappy
Reaction Points
Military
Army Veteran
Current Ride
20MY Tremor (250 Lariat)
I'm waiting on my truck (early October build date), but am doing some planning. I ordered a Race Red Lariat, which means I couldn't get the Sport package (not available in that color). But, I do like the look. And, despite me thinking chrome is okay, I think I'm going to go after the look of the CGS Motorsport SEMA truck from 2019.

Therefore, I've already ordered and received my Sport grill and fender vent emblems. I then went and talked to a powder coater that I used previously on a different project. He's confident he can successfully lightly blast, then powder coat the bumpers. However, he's not as confident in being able to color match the Ford Race Red, as it's powder coat, not paint.

So, I ask the group two questions...
1) Any reservations in blasting then powder coating chrome? The guy did great work for me before, but this is new to me.
2) My other choice would be a black with minor metallic (to sorta match the grill). Any thoughts on a bumper in Red, that is perhaps a hair away from color matched to the truck? It makes me a bit nervous...

Ultimately, for #2 I need to make the call, and will do what I want - but, never hurts to ask for opinions. Especially if anyone out there has experience with #1.

Thanks.

Go for Line-x premium. it doesn't have the textured look of typical Line-x and they can color match factory paint

D58845BD-35E7-4F7B-B938-9B80232CBE08.jpeg

Or you could do this...?

I'm waiting on my truck (early October build date), but am doing some planning. I ordered a Race Red Lariat, which means I couldn't get the Sport package (not available in that color). But, I do like the look. And, despite me thinking chrome is okay, I think I'm going to go after the look of the CGS Motorsport SEMA truck from 2019.

Therefore, I've already ordered and received my Sport grill and fender vent emblems. I then went and talked to a powder coater that I used previously on a different project. He's confident he can successfully lightly blast, then powder coat the bumpers. However, he's not as confident in being able to color match the Ford Race Red, as it's powder coat, not paint.

1) Any reservations in blasting then powder coating chrome? The guy did great work for me before, but this is new to me.
2) My other choice would be a black with minor metallic (to sorta match the grill). Any thoughts on a bumper in Red, that is perhaps a hair away from color matched to the truck? It makes me a bit nervous...

Ultimately, for #2 I need to make the call, and will do what I want - but, never hurts to ask for opinions. Especially if anyone out there has experience with #1.

Thanks.
Powder will stick to the scuffed chrome quite well. I know this first hand with Harley parts. I’d recommend a primer coat first and a clear top coat.
Matching the color maybe tough. I would think your powder coater would have a chip sheet to match as close as possible. l LOVE the look your going for, Ive seen the truck and love it. I would think someone could even possible custom mix the powder??? Stick it out, it will be worth the efforts! Best of luck?

Thanks.

Sounds amazing and I may try to do something similar with the bumpers. Side note, would you be able to share the part numbers you ordered for the grill and the emblems? Thanks in advance

Sounds amazing and I may try to do something similar with the bumpers. Side note, would you be able to share the part numbers you ordered for the grill and the emblems? Thanks in advance

Here's the fender emblems... I'll see what I can do about the grill pieces. I don't have the boxes any more. But, the part number for the grill is in another thread if you search a bit.

I bought the grill on ebay, and had to buy the -8200- lower piece separately. But don't remember the prefix or suffix. There's gotta be a sticker on the parts - but it is already on the forum somewhere.
FenderVentEmblemBoxes.jpg
FenderVentEmblems.jpg

Powder will stick to the scuffed chrome quite well. I know this first hand with Harley parts. I’d recommend a primer coat first and a clear top coat.
Matching the color maybe tough. I would think your powder coater would have a chip sheet to match as close as possible.

Thanks.

That's the kind of first hand experience I was looking for regarding the chrome question. Its different to hear it from someone that isn't trying to sell something.

I'll see what he says about the process/coats when I actually take the leap (of course, I kind of need the truck first). And yup, he has a zillion chips, samples, or whatever they're called; sets from multiple powder companies. I'm sure it'd be VERY close, but doubt I'd find something that is absolutely perfect.

I'm debating whether to wait 'till the winch is available through the dealer. That way I'd only have to R&R the front bumper once, and get it all done in one shot - powder coating and the winch install. I'm just not optimistic on the timeframe that the winch will finally be available through the dealer.

View attachment 5063

Or you could do this...?

I can admit I don't mind the idea of rear exit dual exhaust, and the ghost stripes could be okay. See... There's two things I can be vaguely positive about on that truck. Everybody likes what they like. I was going to say "which is okay", but then brodozers came to mind. So, there's limits - which in my view relate to maintaining or improving functionality/capabilities.

I can admit I don't mind the idea of rear exit dual exhaust, and the ghost stripes could be okay. See... There's two things I can be vaguely positive about on that truck. Everybody likes what they like. I was going to say "which is okay", but then brodozers came to mind. So, there's limits - which in my view relate to maintaining or improving functionality/capabilities.
Yeah I have to give the guy props for the “murdered out” dark look, but I’m not sure truck bed liner is the best choice of paint product. That thing must weigh another 500 lbs now. EVERYTHING on that truck was done in it except the glass and tires. He passed me on I 80 the other day and I had to grab a pic! Sorry to derail the purpose of the original thread. ?

Powder coat should be good ( with proper prep). It will look great, not sure why Ford doesn't offer that color with the sport. I always like the dual exhaust but since it is an off road vehicle its just more stuff that can get hung up on something.
Hope you get some photos up on it.

Here's the fender emblems... I'll see what I can do about the grill pieces. I don't have the boxes any more. But, the part number for the grill is in another thread if you search a bit.

I bought the grill on ebay, and had to buy the -8200- lower piece separately. But don't remember the prefix or suffix. There's gotta be a sticker on the parts - but it is already on the forum somewhere.
View attachment 5077View attachment 5078

Thanks very much! Very helpful! I searched and found the grill part number but noticed that fella had a 6.7 (I have a 7.3). They may be the same part number but I’ll try to confirm and post back.

Thanks.

Did you also replace the lights as well? I'm thinking about doing the same thing. Bought the chrome but thinking I want to do an "aftermarket sport package"

I thought about doing the lights till I saw that they were $1660.00. Each.

I'm going to see how it looks, and then decide that the stock LED headlights look just fine. Or at least that's what I plan on deciding. Or hope I decide. Cause I'm not paying that to replace them.

Thanks.
Where did you get the sport grill if you don't mind me asking?

Where did you get the sport grill if you don't mind me asking?
No problem asking. Small problem answering.

I got the sport grill off eBay, from a seller that was selling several. They stated they were take-offs from an up-fitter, or they were the upfitter? I don't remember. So, I don't really have a good answer, other than eBay. The good news is it was a deal vs a new dealer part. But, one of the little protrusions on the back is going to need a slight repair. There was also a scratch or two - but they all buffed out just fine.

Just keep searching periodically. This seller was cbautopartners.

No problem asking. Small problem answering.

I got the sport grill off eBay, from a seller that was selling several. They stated they were take-offs from an up-fitter, or they were the upfitter? I don't remember. So, I don't really have a good answer, other than eBay. The good news is it was a deal vs a new dealer part. But, one of the little protrusions on the back is going to need a slight repair. There was also a scratch or two - but they all buffed out just fine.

Just keep searching periodically. This seller was cbautopartners.
Appreciate it. I've noticed they're pretty pricey, but I want to eventually get one.

Back