Plug wire upgrade

I just ordered the wires now. I have a long road trip coming in the Summer. I am just going to replace them with the new ones and be happy. I would rather do that than have one go out on the trip and try to chase a problem miles from any help.
Is it a rare issue? Yes. Is it still an issue? Yes.
Cheap insurance for me is all.

Just ordered a set as well in black. I haven’t had any issues but plan to install these and throw the stock ones in my go bag behind the back seat.

I hope the new wires are actually better than the stock ones. We don't know that yet. My set will live under the back seat until I need them.

It's also great to know that the wires seem to be the only weakness in these trucks, now that the tranny is fixed. Reliability is extremely important 'cause we travel way out into the desert to go camping.

It seems those of us that got '21s, ordered late last year, are the lucky ones. We got the updated tranny and missed the chip shutdown. There was also the cash offer from Ford at the time. SO GLAD I ordered when I did!

I hope the new wires are actually better than the stock ones. We don't know that yet. My set will live under the back seat until I need them.

It's also great to know that the wires seem to be the only weakness in these trucks, now that the tranny is fixed. Reliability is extremely important 'cause we travel way out into the desert to go camping.

It seems those of us that got '21s, ordered late last year, are the lucky ones. We got the updated tranny and missed the chip shutdown. There was also the cash offer from Ford at the time. SO GLAD I ordered when I did!
Same all around. Just ordered a set of blue ones.

And I agree on timing... I couldn't have done it better WRT the current market dynamics. And got it before inflation hits and interest rates go back up (it's gonna happen, regardless of what the FED or PJ says)

Installed mine 500 miles ago. I would agree with the others thus far, that it seems to idle smoother, especially when cold. An improvement over stock. I took out the passenger wheel liner too, to make installation easier.

Installed mine 500 miles ago. I would agree with the others thus far, that it seems to idle smoother, especially when cold. An improvement over stock. I took out the passenger wheel liner too, to make installation easier.
I'm surprised the wires made the idle better on some trucks. I may have to go ahead and install my set too. As long as they can take the heat, they'll be great.

One of my buds commented "how do you screw up a plug wire?", referring to Ford. I had to laugh. They've managed to find ways to screw up a lot of things.

When the wires are hot, and the compression is high at higher power levels, it is harder to fire the plug. If the engine is missing at idle, II wonder if we are getting any missing that we can't feel at higher RPM levels under load?

I'm surprised the wires made the idle better on some trucks. I may have to go ahead and install my set too. As long as they can take the heat, they'll be great.

One of my buds commented "how do you screw up a plug wire?", referring to Ford. I had to laugh. They've managed to find ways to screw up a lot of things.

When the wires are hot, and the compression is high at higher power levels, it is harder to fire the plug. If the engine is missing at idle, II wonder if we are getting any missing that we can't feel at higher RPM levels under load?
I never had any missing/miss fire with stock, just not the smoothest running. It would take multiple minutes for to idle down to after it sat overnight. With the new wires, it idles down in under a minute. Not earth shattering, but noticeable. As the one gentleman posted, a significant difference in the resistance of the stock wires, versus these. I'm happy with the purchase so far. We will see how they do over the long haul.

I posted this same thing in another thread "Ford Tremor Problems" as well...apologies to those that see it twice...

Well I installed the Massive wires today after I did the first oil change at 2500 miles. Blue color. Start up idle seems smoother but a short test ride didn't show much difference. I'm towing later this week and we'll see how she runs. Driver side was easy, Passenger a tad more difficult, didn't need to pull wheel well liner off, but I did do the back two plugs from underneath the fender. I turned wheels completely to left and squeezed my body up under the tire and was able to reach. I was also able to reach them from the top after the fact though...so I guess just pre-emptive maintenance. I'll keep the stockers in the truck for a bit, just in case. Thanks.

I've replaced the stock ones with the Massive wires. I honestly cannot tell the difference.

Just call it peace of mind knowing that the stock wires are prone to failure.

I've never had a plug wire fail in 30+ years of driving. *knock on wood*

This thread is crazy talk. Any plug wire failures (Ford or otherwise) are the exception, not the norm. Everyone's running out to buy wires just in case? LOL

This thread is crazy talk. Any plug wire failures (Ford or otherwise) are the exception, not the norm. Everyone's running out to buy wires just in case? LOL

Better safe than sorry, right :)

Plug wires are like parachutes. If you need one and don’t have one, you’ll probably never need one again.
Or wait.....maybe that’s guns are like parachutes. Hmmmmm.
you get the idea

Back